Status: Finished! (Nov 25-Mar 12)

She's a Lady

Thirteen

James’ POV

I parked the car and Bella looked at me.

“I’ll walk you up” I said.

“No!”

I looked at her kind of surprised.

“My dad is, ok I’ve never actually had a serious boyfriend. He likes scaring guys away and I like you. So you’re going home”

I smiled at her.

“Come on he won’t scare me off” I tried reasoning with her.

She looked at me and looked around my car. She found something and reached for it. She slipped it on and I laughed when I realized it was my Penguins hoodie. She sniffed it and I had to laugh. She nodded and reached for the door handle.

“Let’s go”

“Why are you taking my hoodie?” I asked getting out.

I walked over to her and she looked at me.

“My dad is a big penguins fan”

I smiled.

“Really?” I asked.

“Please James, no cocky James. Show them dorky James. I like that James and they will love that James too”

I frowned and she giggled lightly.

“I’m serious”

I nodded and she kissed my cheek.

“Ok come on”

She got my hand and led me to the door. She opened the door and walked inside. Her parents both didn’t look from the TV and Eric and Adam did. They looked at each other and I was dragged into the kitchen.

“Bella”

So close…

“Yea daddy”

Daddy….ahh the word that makes all fathers turn into putty.

“Bring me a beer, and bring a beer for the young fellow who you dragged in”

She frowned and opened the fridge. She got two beers and her brother yelled he wanted a soda. She got him his soda and I followed her to the living room. Her dad sat up and I looked at him up close. He looked really strict. His eyes widened when he saw me, and he looked at his daughter surprised.

“Here’s your beer daddy”

She handed him a beer and handed Eric his soda. Her younger brother pouted when she handed me a beer.

“No thanks I have to drive” I told her as I set it on the coffee table.

She nodded and sat down. I sat next to her and she smiled.

“Oh um mom and dad”

Her brothers laughed.

“This is James, James my mom Georgina and my dad Ricardo well you know my brothers”

I shook their hands and her mom was looking at me a little disapprovingly. Her dad on the other hand smiled at me and leaned back.

“How’s the concussion?”

I smiled and nodded.

“It’s been going well. Your daughter has helped me with it” I said looking at her.

He smiled and looked at Bella who was looking down at her phone. That’s when he noticed the hoodie. He raised an eyebrow and nudged his wife who just frowned even more.

“Has she?”
She looked up and nodded. He took a sip of his beer and she put her phone on her lap.

“Yea dad I told you I helped in a jaw repair surgery”

He choked on his beer.

“You helped in Sidney Crosby’s surgery?”

She nodded and he grinned at her.

“That’s my girl!”

She laughed and smiled. Her cheeks turned a little pink at that and I found it kind of adorable.

“And you’ve helped James with his concussion?”

“Yes I have dad. Sid introduced us and well we just talked and well yea”

He nodded and smiled.

“Hope you manage to turn my daughter to a Pens fan. I don’t know how she got into the Kings”

“Hey dad, come on now.”

I chuckled lightly when I saw Eric and Adam looking at their dad. They were both shaking their heads.

“They won last year, and in last place with no home game advantage”

I nodded and, Eric and Adam high-fived each other.

“I’m from Chicago and my Blackhawks are doing well, first in their division”

She said something to Bella in Spanish but I know she said the name Jonathan.

“Mom that’s gross. Disgusting in fact!”

Her mom rolled her eyes and stood up. I have a feeling her mom doesn’t like me.

“Oh yea mom how long are you going to be here?”

“Just for the weekend. We go home and you come visit us for Adam’s graduation”

“When is it anyways? I need to call in sick for that day”

Adam looked at her and scratched his neck.

“You are coming?”

“Of course Adam! You went to the many I had and they were boring. I figured we should all be punished”

He laughed at what Bella said and she smiled at him. I heard a throat clear and I looked at Bella’s dad.

“When are you playing?”

I looked at her dad.

“Last game of the season if all goes well, or the Boston game” I said

He smiled.

“Planning on scoring a hat trick?”

I chuckled and shrugged.

“I’ll try” I said.

Eric looked at his Rolex and stood up.

“I’m heading out dad. I have to go help Adrian close up”

I raised an eyebrow and his dad nodded and stood up.

“I’ll go with you. James is joining us”

I looked at Bella who smiled and nodded.

“Sure” I said.

We got into Eric’s truck, which was a 2011 Chevy Silverado. He honked at two people dressed in scrubs and they laughed as they walked over. I recognized them as Bella’s friends and coworkers.

“Hey Mr. M how’s it going?”

“It’s well Christian. Hello Jasmine”

They waved and Eric drove out. I looked out the window as Eric and his dad talked in Spanish. I don’t know how to speak it but I can translate some words and I know they were talking about me. Eric called me pretty boy, he’s one to talk.

Eric pulled into Pittsburgh’s Classiest fast diner and got out. I looked at him and he grinned.

“You own this?” I found myself asking.

He nodded and grinned at me.

“Come on”

We followed him inside. This diner is always full and the bar is said to have the best drinks. I’ve never been here myself, but Duper has with his wife. We’ve never had time to come and eat, but he said they have the best steaks in town.

I walked in and looked around. There were jerseys in frames all over the place. Some autographed while others were just framed. There were pictures on a wall and in gold letters. 2008 MEN’S OLYMPIC BEACH VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONS, Eric Martinez & Adrian McNamara. Under that there was a picture of two shirtless guys. They were holding their Olympic medals and behind them and next to them were their family. Eric and his partner looked totally different. I looked at the picture and noticed something.

“It’s blonde she dyed it brown for a while”

I nodded and looked at the picture. Bella was smiling at the camera and her arm was slung over Jas’ shoulder. I heard a throat clear and I looked up. Bella’s dad was looking at me.

“So you and my daughter?”

I looked at him and he took a sip of his beer. I gulped lightly and he smiled.

“I always knew she was going to end up with an athlete. She’s was really athletic”

I looked at her and he chuckled when he saw my expression

“She used to play softball in school. We couldn’t afford it because we had to pay for Adam’s medicine and all. She got that concussion and she quit on her own though before I could ask her. Come to think of it she probably caused that concussion on herself.”

“Concussion?” I asked.

He nodded and took a sip of his beer.

“Yes, Bella used to play varsity softball. She made the team when she tried out her 8th grade year. She was really good at it and she loved it”

I nodded slowly and he smiled.

“She was really smart and still is. I tell her she’s like an encyclopedia because she can memorize things like nothing. It was all worth it because my daughter is a Doctor”

I smiled at him and nodded.

“You must be proud” I told him.

“I am. It took her a while to warm up to me, but once she did she clung on”

I glanced at Eric and saw he was closing up the bar. I looked at Mr. Martinez and he chuckled.

“She was the prettiest girl there. We’re lucky we got her because from what I know she’d been there for about a week. The government forced this pastor to give her up by charging him with these false accusations. The man is like her mentor; she visits him from time to time and all. Good man honestly”

He laughed and looked down at his drink.

“I didn’t want a girl but when I saw her, I felt something. When Georgina walked to her and we knew we would be taking her home”

I nodded and he sat up a little.

“Eric, we got him by a miracle. He was a tiny baby with his blue eyes. He had quite good lungs because he was really sick. He would scream and cry so much and when Georgina held him he stopped crying. I knew we would be going home with him. Adam, he’s rowdy and all but he’s my son. He was born with a drug addiction because the woman who gave birth to him wanted to abort him. We just bundled him up with love. Anyways, Bella didn’t always get what she wanted, it feels nice to know that my daughter is finally getting her way”

I nodded and looked around. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. Eric was now at the register checking people out and handing little kids lollipops.

“I’ve raised 2 of them real well. My son bought a house and owns a restaurant. He has a stunning girlfriend who I hope joins the family. My daughter graduated last June from medical school with no debt what so ever. She has a marvelous voice and she’s so well kept. Adam, he’s number smart. He says he’s not but he’s real smart. That boy can skate. He played hockey and figure skated. Just does one now.”

I smiled and nodded.

“Do you want children James?”

I looked at him kind of caught of guard.

“Yea, well you know in the future.” I said.

He nodded and I smiled.

“I’ve always wanted children. Someone I can teach to skate or someone who will cheer for me when I’m playing” I said.

He smiled and looked at me.

“Children before marriage?”

I looked at him.

“If it happens then it happens” I said.

He nodded slowly and looked at me.

“I like you James. I give you my consent to ask my daughter out”

Talk about old fashioned.

“Thank you sir” I said.

He smiled.

“Now how about a beer?”

“Can’t I need to drive home and I’ve got a concussion” I said.

He smiled.

“Good response”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am home once again! it's almost one am and i'm ready to call it a night. Hope you guys liked the chapter