Status: Finished! (Nov 25-Mar 12)

She's a Lady

Five

Bella’s POV

“Don’t you have a game tonight” I told James as he walked into the room.

Sidney looked up from the card game we were playing and gave James a smile. Sidney could now move his mouth and he would be out tonight. Maybe.

“Well yes but I came to visit my captain”

Sidney rolled his eyes as he reached for his whiteboard and wrote on his board, LIAR
James laughed.

“Ok I lied, I came to visit him because of the pretty doctor taking care of him.

I laughed a little and smiled a little. I could feel my cheeks heating up and he noticed because he began smiling. I got up and rubbed my cheeks.

“Did you now? It’s a shame because it’s lunch time” I said.

He grinned.
“Well more of a reason to come. How long is your lunch?”

I looked at him and then at Sidney. Sidney smiled at me and wrote in the board Leave

I laughed and looked at James who was waiting patiently.

“45 minutes” I said.
He nodded and smiled.
“Well let me take you out to lunch”

I bit my lip and looked at Sidney who nodded at me. Sidney and I had grown a bond somehow. Weird right? The man couldn’t talk yet he seemed to be a nice down to earth guy.

“Sure” I said.

He smiled and I looked at my outfit. Scrubs!

“I know a quick place. You’re pretty casual, follow me”

I nodded and followed him out. I laughed a little when he offered me his arm. I linked my arm with his and he folded his arm. It was still cold outside so scrubs were not the ideal clothing choice. He looked down at me and pulled me a little closer to him. Scrubs and a light jacket were not the ideal clothing options.

We stopped in front of a car and he opened the door for me. It was quite an expensive car. I got into the car and he closed the door for me. He went around and got into the car as I looked out the window. He got into the car and I looked at him.

“So how long have you been playing hockey?” I asked trying to let the awkwardness out.

He turned on the car and looked at me.

“Since I could walk practically. I’m from Canada that’s what were trained to do”

I smiled and he let out a chuckle. He began pulling out of the parking lot.

“That’s cool” I said.
“Did you play any sports?”

I looked at him.

“I’m not talented when it comes to sports” I said.
He chuckled and looked at me.
“My parents could really afford it so I was kind of happy I wasn’t” I said.
He nodded slowly and I shrugged.

“What made you want to be a Doctor?”

I looked at him.

“I honestly don’t know. Everyone always told me I had steady hands and I was smart enough. Science and math just came to me and well I used it as an advantage.” I said.

He nodded and parked his car. I looked out the window and we got out of the car and walked to the small little fast food restaurant. I looked at him and cocked my head as I remembered something

“Is this even part of your diet?” I asked.

He laughed and I looked up at him. He smiled and winked.

“What scary Gary doesn’t know won’t hurt him”

I laughed and followed him inside.

“Only child?”
“I have two brothers” I said as we were seated.
He nodded slowly and I looked at him.
“Oldest is a Chef and my other brother is still in high school” I said.
I smiled.
“So if you ever need to break your diet”” I said.
He chuckled and nodded. We ordered our food.

“Ill be sure to call you when I do”
I smiled and he looked at me.

“You have really pretty eyes”
I looked at him and smiled.
“Have you not seen your eyes? They are such a nice shade of blue” I said.

He looked down at his menu and I saw as his cheeks turned pink. I smiled and I took out my phone. Chris had texted me asking me where I was. I replied telling him I was out and I put my phone away just as James looked at me. We ordered out food and he cocked his head to the side.

“So how’s LA like?”
“Uh well it’s in the coast LA gets nice weather and overall it’s always sunny. People freeze when it’s 68 degrees” I said.

He laughed and I smiled.

“Going home is expensive and well I think the last time I went home was when I graduated from BU” I said as I looked at the waitress who handed us our food.

We ate in peace and I got to know James. James not James Neal of the Penguins; he then got mad at me for sneaking in my credit card to pay for the food.

“I pay next time”
I looked at him and smiled.
“There’s going to be a next time?” I asked.

He blushed and looked at me. He scratched his neck and looked at me.

“Uh”
I smiled.
“Count me in”, I said as I got into his car.

I heard him let out a sigh of relief as he closed the door for me.

“Well I’d hate to cut this short but I need to head back to the hospital” I told him.

He nodded and we walked to his car. I made it back just in time. I had to run out of his car as he got out. He laughed as I made it to the doorway before him.

“Dr. Martinez”
I smiled at Ray and he walked over to me.
“Let me get you a copy of the release form and his physical” I told him.
He nodded and I saw James walking over.

I got Ray his copy and I handed it to him. He began looking through it and I walked into Sidney’s room. He was asleep when I walked in so I just checked his vitals. I put on my gloves and rubbed my hands together so they could warm up. Sidney didn’t like cold hands. I got his usual test tube of blood and as I finished up James walked in. He gave me a smile and I returned it. I sighed when I saw Sid’s weight, I wrote it on the board. He’s lost 4 pounds in such a short time. I finished checking him up and he stirred.

“Welcome back” I said.

He hummed and I smiled at him.

“Guess what?” I asked.
He looked at me and I smiled.

“You get to go home tonight. It was settled” I said.

He gave me a small smile and reached for his board.

So you have days off?

I smiled and nodded.

“Yes” I said.

Come over, I need someone there. James can visit ;)

I rolled my eyes and looked at him as he erased his board.

“I don’t know if I’ll like you when I actually hear you speak” I told him.

He laughed and flinched a little.

“Sorry” I said.

I looked at his medical file and looked at him.

“I’m going to help you sit up” I told him.

He nodded and I helped him sit up. I was standing in between his legs and he made a noise, which I later figured out was just his giggle, when I lowered the bed.

“I’m going to see your stitches” I told him.

He nodded and I gently opened his jaw. He flinched and I nodded when I saw his gums weren’t swollen.

“You’re good” I told him.
He nodded and I stepped back.

“So when he goes home. What does he have to do?”
I looked at Ray and then at Sidney.

“You get to have milkshakes! Through straws of course, Try to keep the area clean” I said happily.

He smiled at me.

“And you can be playing in about a month if you eat well”

He nodded.

“You also lost weight so thick milkshakes. I don’t care how unhealthy they are you need the weight. You’ll have to wear that cage though” I said.

“Thanks”

I smiled at Sidney.

“You don’t need to thank me Sidney. I’m doing my job and well your Pittsburgh’s heart and soul. I kinda hope you recover fast even if you don’t play for the team I root for. Now use the board to speak because that looked painful” I said.

He nodded and gave me a smile.

So I can go home?

I turned to see Dr. Leonard.

“Yes you are, Bella go get him his forms”

I nodded and walked out. James followed me out and I glanced at him as Sidney’s release forms were printed out.

“Yes?” I asked.

He gave me a smile and looked around.

“Would it be bad if I asked for your number? Or is that too forward

I gave him a smile.

“It wouldn’t. Thanks for lunch by the way. I can honestly say I had fun” I told him.

His smile grew and he handed me his phone. I put it on the table and input my number onto his phone. He smiled at me as I handed him his phone back.

“Now I kind of need to do this” I told him.

He nodded and slowly walked away. I finished printing out the papers and I walked over to his room. Sidney smiled at me when he saw me.

I can go home? You aren’t lying right?

I nodded slowly and looked at him.

“I printed out some diet recommendations” I told him.

He nodded and began reading his release forms. James walked in and gave me a smile. I returned it and looked back at Sidney who was reading the release forms. Dr. Leonard walked in and gave me a smile when she saw me. Dr. Leonard really wanted me to go into Ortho, but I didn’t want to. She raised an eyebrow at me because she saw James smiling at me and then smiled at me. Oh my god she would.

Sidney signed the release forms and just as James was about to ask me something my pager began ringing. I patted my waist and pulled out my pager. I pulled it out and sighed. Emergency my guess a car accident because they were calling a lot of people to the pit, and I could tell just by the noise of residents running to the other wing of the hospital.

I looked at James and he nodded slowly and Dr. Leonard looked at me.

“Construction accident”

I made a face and excused myself. I got to the other wing and took the stairs. My eyes widened when I saw a metal pole stabbed through a shrieking patient. Ouch…
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed the name of the story. It's now She's A Lady (cause of the Tom Jones song). I head back to school tomorrow for week 10 and then finals so I doubt i'll post anything. My little cousin might be on here though since she asked me if she could post a story (Thankgiving/ Christmas related) story on here. Keep an eye out for it. (I've read some of it and it's kind of fluffy)