Status: Finished! (Nov 25-Mar 12)

She's a Lady

Sixty Five

James’ POV
I blinked and looked at Bella.

“How long?”

Jake looked at her and let out a deep breath.

“About a week”

She sighed and covered her face. She had just gotten back from work, so she was still in her scrubs. I looked at Isaac who was playing with a toy on the floor.

“Why?”

“They just want to get him tested. Medical files and they want to see how you guys will react to this. They don’t think you guys will be able to raise a kid”

I sighed and rolled my eyes. The adoption process started on Valentine’s Day. It was now almost 2 weeks later and here was Jake telling me that the adoption agency was testing us. I figured the adoption process would be really slow, but by the looks of it Jake knew how to do his job.

“When would we have to drop him off?” I asked.

Jake looked at me.

“Tomorrow”

“I have a game tomorrow” I said.

Bella nodded and Jake sighed. The Olympic break would be over for me tomorrow.

“I got it extended. If it were for them Isaac wouldn’t be living with you guys during the process”

Bella nodded.

“How long?” I asked.

“About a week”

I sighed and looked at Isaac.

“Why?” I asked.

“James, you have to realize that you aren’t home a lot”

I nodded; I love playing in the NHL. I really do, but things like this happen and my job makes me look like I can’t commit to a place. I travel a lot yes, but its my career.

“Bella, you’re a resident surgeon. You get like what 80 hours in a week”

Bella sighed and nodded.

“Cutting your hours would delay your dream”

“It doesn’t matter”

I looked at Bella and saw she was serious. She was putting her career on a semi hold for the sake of a kid.

“You have a break and all, but Bella never has that”

I nodded.

“Let’s say we were married” I said.

Bella’s face snapped at me, and Jake laughed.

“It would still be the same man. The government works weirdly because there are you know kids being abused around the country and all. They don’t do shit and well you’ve seen the outcome. No need to marry her that happens later”

Bella nodded.

“How’s the case going?”

Jake sighed and leaned back.

“She murdered the kid I could guarantee you. She’s claiming she wasn’t well at the time. No one told you to do the drug. I am so looking forward to prosecuting her”

Bella shrugged lightly and he sighed.

“I promise you guys that Isaac will be your kid in a month tops. I guarantee it, you guys are family almost and well I know you guys. You came from an adoption agency Bells and well look at you. Your dad was adopted as well so you know you got it all under control. James is applying for American citizenship so you know he’s good”

I nodded slowly and looked at Bella who was nodding slowly.

“Any jewelry though take it from him. This agency is known to keep things”

Bella nodded and Isaac squealed. Jake smiled and stood up.

“I have to get going though”

“They should give you custody. You guys are living together which props for making it look like you’ve lived here”

I laughed and he gave us a smile.

“I’ll talk with you guys later”

I nodded and he left. Bella led him out. She walked over to me I took a deep breath. There was a knock on the door and I opened the door.

“Where is he?”

I looked at Adam and gave him a sad smile.

“He’s in the living room”

He walked in and I raised an eyebrow.

“Shouldn’t you be in LA?”

I followed him inside and saw he was wearing his Team USA attire. He was in jeans but he was repping his home country.

“Uh yes, but I told Mom I needed to do something”

I laughed and he smiled at Isaac. Isaac gave him a toothy grin and Adam looked up.

“Why do you guys look sad?”

“We have to drop him off tomorrow”

His eyes widened as Isaac handed him a car.

“Why?”

“Protocol” I said.

He rolled his eyes and stood up.

“That’s stupid”

“Well try telling that to them” I said.

He picked Isaac up and looked at him.

“Word of advice. Take a picture of the kid document everything. How much he weighs, height, scars he has. They’re assholes from what I’ve heard from Eric”

Bella nodded and he smiled at Isaac.

“He looks more filled in though”

I looked at Bella who looked like she was about to breakdown.

“Don’t cry sis, he’s yours. You’re gonna be his mommy”

Bella gave him a smile.

“Jake will make sure of that”

She nodded and he put him down.

“Well I need to head out. I’ll see you guys for the stadium series”

I nodded and he stopped.

“Sid knows and so do most of the guys.

“I know they called before they boarded their flight. Beau was here a while ago because his wrist was hurting. Bella dealt with him and he played with Isaac for a while” I said.

“Told Toews”

Bella rolled her eyes.

“I don’t think Romeo understands that you’re not interested in him”

“I will never be”

He laughed and nodded.

“I’ll see you guys in a few days”

He kneeled down and smiled.

“And you I will see you in about two weeks kay?”

Isaac smiled at him and Adam got his little hand. He tied a little red string on Isaac’s wrist.

“Keep it on”

Isaac looked at it and nodded. Adam smiled at him and gave him a light hug. He stood up and hugged Bella. She hugged him tight and he mumbled something to her. She nodded and he pulled away.

“I’ll see you guys later. I got a flight to catch”

She nodded and he man-hugged me. He patted my shoulder.

“You’ll get him, just stay strong”

I nodded and he left. I looked at Bella and she picked Isaac up. She hugged him and he smiled at her.

“Your uncle Beau got you a nice pair of skates”

“I told you I’m teaching him how to skate” I said.

“Adam is”

I frowned.

“He’s good at it. You slip from time to time”

I laughed and she adjusted him on her arms.

“Let’s make some soup”

“Soup”

“Yes soup”

She walked into the kitchen with him in her arms and I smiled. I looked around the room and let out a little chuckle. Why’d I laugh? I’m going to need a bigger house because I want children. Adopted or not I want a family with Bella and the ring I had ordered told my parents I was ready for the next step. The first step of this plan was giving her a pair of earrings I had bought her. When was I going to give them to her? On Saturday during the Stadium series, I would give her the necklace on her birthday. If we won the Stanley cup I would give her a bracelet, or I’d just give it to her as a gift. I would propose during the cup celebration or I’d just find a reason to party. She would be my wife though. Dr. Bella Martinez-Neal. I liked how that sounded.
♠ ♠ ♠
So my chemistry class got canceled because there is no power on that side of campus (wooh!), sadly i still have my calculus class. I have that class at 12:30, or noon thirty like my housemates call it. I am literally eating and typing right now because i should be ready.

I just thought i would leave you guys with this :)