Status: Characters are from an old game series called Ar Tonelico, however it's completely AU, so no previous knowledge is neccessary

Chronicles of a Maid

Chapter 1

Standing before a set of large oak doors in the grand Bartel Estate, Lyner felt an uncharacteristic sense of nervousness. Even being this close to such a glorious and refined estate was scandalous. But she was desperate. Her father, Lord Leard Barsett had fallen seriously ill, and to her and her two younger sisters, it was devastating. None of least was the fact that it made them free game, as it were, to any marriage-minded (or rather, social climbing) man within the country.

Lyner wasn't worried about receiving any arranged marriage offers herself. She knew that she was her father's greatest disappointment. She was his eldest daughter, and a bit of a flighty one at that. She was boyish, outspoken and preferred the great outdoors than the ballrooms of society. She could even wield a sword better than any man. She had short blonde-hair that was cut roughly, and her figure was tall and athletic, her large bust a little bit out of place on her form. She just looked awkward and not at all pretty.

So, in short, she had no prospect of marriage, so had no prospect for the future. And she was fine with that.

Her sisters, on the other hand, had many possibilities for marriage. They were beautiful, girlish and lady-like. Aurica had long brown-hair and gently blue eyes. While she wasn’t much of a cook, she had the heart and will to try anything. And her other sister, Misha, had the right amount of sass with her long black-hair and stunning blue eyes. They had the perfect figures; slender and somewhat delicate. Everything in the right proportion. Everything Lyner wasn't.

But with their father ill, they could be blackmailed, forced or scandalised into a marriage of convenience. And that was something, as the oldest sister, Lyner wasn't going to let happen.

That was why she was standing just outside the master of Bartel Estate’s office. She had arranged a meeting with Duke Croix, whom she had a proposition for. It wasn't a grand deal, and it had little chance of actually paying off, but she was desperate. Her sisters' well-being and social standing was in jeopardy.

And there was no one more important to her then her sisters.

Lifting her hand, she gave a series of sharp knocks. While waiting for confirmation to entre, she smoothed out her dress. She hated wearing dresses, especially ones so long and frilly, but she had to at least try to make an impression.

“Enter.”

Squaring her shoulders, Lyner eased open the door before stepping inside. The room was larger than she had expected. A grand oak desk, where Croix sat, was situated in front of pair of glass doors that led out into a balcony. Tall bookcases were in multiple parts of the room, leaning against the walls. A pair of plush lounge-chairs was in the centre of the room, facing a short coffee table.

“Miss Lyner,” Croix greeted rather stoically as Lyner approached his desk. “What can I do for you?”

“I need to ask a favour from you,” Lyner answered as she feebly brushed back a strand of her blonde hair. “You see-”

"I have no interest in a marriage of convenience," Croix stated coldly, cutting her off rather harshly. It appeared as if those words were spoken often.

Lyner furrowed her brow in confusion. "Neither do I," she replied.

"Oh?" Croix appeared sceptical. "What brings you here then?"

Lyner realised that Croix, Duke of Bartel, must receive many marriage proposals by every marriage-minded woman and her parents. Why wouldn’t he? He was young, handsome, successful and was a Duke. Women would kill to be his wife.

"I'm not here with a marriage proposal," Lyner quickly stated. "Nothing like that. All I'm asking is for you to allow me to work for you just until my father recovers. I need to gain enough money so that my sisters won't be forced into a marriage of convenience to pay for our father's medical bills. The last thing I will allow to happen is to someone taking advantage of my sisters."

Croix still looked sceptical. "I find that hard to believe."

Lyner rolled her eyes and folded her arms under her bust. She had expected some scepticism and non-cooperation. "Why? Look, I am my father's greatest disappointment. Even if I wanted to get married, it won't happen. I'm too...unlady-like. I know what they ton says about me. And, in all honesty, I don't care about myself. I know that me coming here, to you, may prove scandalous, but I trust you not to take advantage of the situation."

Yes, she did trust him. She had heard that he had a bit of a reputation of being cold, cool and some would even say, a rake. But Croix was her father’s associate. They had worked together on numerous projects. He was professional and a true gentleman. Although she did not know him personally, he was her safest option.

For a moment Croix looked mildly surprised by her previous words, but he quickly hid it behind an apathetic look, his expression frustratingly blank. He considered her words, no doubt weighing up the pros and cons. He knew that her father was ill, one of a few that did. So he understood the implications, knew what she was saying was true.

"The only job I can allocate to you is that of a maid," Croix said as he shuffled through some paperwork. “You’ll have to live on site and wear a uniform, though. Tomorrow will be your first day, is that all right?”

"That's fine!" Lyner beamed happily, clapping her hands. "As long as it helps my sisters, I don't mind doing anything!"

The corner of Croix's mouth twitched into an almost smile, but it quickly disappeared, replaced by his usually stoic expression. But Lyner didn't mind, she was just happy that her sisters' livelihoods were going to be safe now. That was all that mattered. She didn’t mind doing a bit of hard work. Even scrubbing floors!

Lyner had no idea where her new life and job will lead her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Future chapters will be much more passionate and heated. So, yes, there will be sex scenes. Many of them.