Status: One and Done

Hey Girl

1/1

Hey girl, you've got a smart way
About you that makes me wish that I was smart enough for you.

Hey girl, you've got a fine laugh
And I think that I can get used to that
And you're already used to laughing at me

So what if your friends think I'm crazy,
Well, I wasn't trying to impress those girls anyway
They're all theory, no action and
Where I'm from we live like it's the latest attraction


~*~*~


"Mr. Gerbe!" The enthusiastic voice called out the minute he stepped into the doggy daycare and boarding facility. "We're glad to see you."

Nathan stopped and pushed a hand through his short hair. "Is Cash okay?" He asked in concern.

"Cash is fine but...."

"But?" He prompted.

"He did great; I'm just not sure this is the best for for him. He was a little depressed."

"Depressed?"

"Have you ever boarded him before?"

"No; I had a friend that watched him in Buffalo for him."

"Is there anyone here that could watch him?"

Nathan shook his head. "I don't know anyone here yet. Are you saying he can't continue to board here?"

"No, I'm not saying that. I'm just suggesting other options that I think Cash would like better." She paused a moment. "What about a pet sitter?"

"A pet sitter?"

"Someone who comes to your house and walks him, or even someone who stays at your house to take care of him."

"Where would I find someone I could trust to do that though? I just moved here in September."

"We have an employee here; she does pet sitting for some of our clients. She's very trustworthy. I'd be happy to setup a meeting between you."

“I don’t know...”

“Why don’t you meet Lizzie first and then decide? Let me give you her number and you can set up a meeting. Cash really took to her so I suspect it would be a great fit for you.”

~*~*~


A week later, Nathan opened the door to his rental home. He had called Lizzie a few days earlier and arranged to meet her so they could discuss her possibly pet sitting for him. There was a road trip the following week and he’d need someone to watch Cash while he was gone for three days.

“Hello, you must be Nathan. I’m Lizzie,” the petite brunette introduced herself. Nathan stood back and let her inside. She was a few inches shorter than him, which wasn't saying much given his own height. Cash came bounding into the room and she squatted down to pet him.

“Hey, Cash! How are you, buddy?” The dog licked her face affectionately and she laughed. “Your dog is fantastic,” Lizzie said as she stood. “I’ve always loved bernie’s.”

“Um, should we sit?” Nathan suggested. He suddenly felt himself at a loss of words and completely taken with the pretty girl in his house. She looked younger than him, probably she was still in college or just graduated. There was a southern tilt to her voice that he had grown used to in the short time he had lived in Raleigh. Her hair was a rich chocolaty color with golden highlights and fell just shy of her shoulders. Nathan was sure that her green eyes were the most striking he had ever seen.

Lizzie followed him into his kitchen and took a seat across from him at the small dining room table. “So, Kelly said you just moved to the area?”

Nathan nodded. “Yeah, this summer. I moved in to this place in August.”

“From where?”

“Michigan.”

“Yeah? What brought you to North Carolina then?”

“Work.” Lizzie nodded. “Have you always lived here?” Nathan asked her.

“I was born in Charlotte, which is about three hours from here. I went to State though and never left after I graduated.”

“When did you graduate?”

“Three years ago.”

“You’re older than I thought then.”

“How old do you think I am?”

“Twenty two?” he guessed.

Lizzie laughed. “I’m twenty five.”

“What’s State?”

“NC State, the Wolfpack.”

“Oh, okay. That’s who we share the arena with.”

Lizzie looked at him quizzically. “What exactly do you do?”

“Uh, I play hockey, for the Hurricanes.” She stared at him blankly. “The NHL team here?”

“Yeah, I know who they are. I’m just trying to figure it all out.” Her head tilted as she appraised him silently. “Your short though.”

Nathan chuckled. “Five foot five and the shortest active player in the NHL.”

“Really?”

“Yep. The tallest guy is six foot nine, although I had two teammates last year that were both six foot eight.”

“Wow. Are you any good?”

“I’m alright,” he replied modestly.

“I bet you’re good,” Lizzie replied. “They don’t let just anyone play in the NHL I bet.”

“Have you ever been to a game?”

“No.”

“Would you like to? I could get you tickets to tomorrow nights game.”

“I don’t know....”

“We’re allowed tickets for every game and I’ve never had anyone to give mine too.”

“How can I say no to that?” Nathan smiled. “So tell me what you’re looking for for Cash. Kelly just mentioned that you might not a pet sitter. I know he didn’t like being at the facility but I tried to keep him happy as best I could.”

“Kelly said he was depressed. I didn’t know dogs got depressed.”

“Oh yeah. They’re very attuned to our feelings and have feelings of their own.” Nathan nodded and Lizzie continued. “I have a few clients that I take care of their pets from their homes; sometimes they stay with me or sometimes I house sit. Just depends on what the clients needs. I can come over here and take Cash out several times during the day and he can stay in the comfort of his own home. He can stay with me if you prefer; sometimes I have other boarders, just depends. Or I can stay here. It’s really up to you.”

“I’ll be gone for three days next week, Wednesday until early Saturday morning. What do you suggest?”

“Since we’ve just met, and most people like to know me more before they entrust me with keys to their home, Cash can stay with me. I can bring him back over sometime Saturday when you’re home.”

“I trust you,” Nathan blurted out. “I mean, the facility you work at came highly recommend and obviously Kelly trusts you. And Cash likes you. That’s good enough for me.”

“When do you leave on Wednesday?” Lizzie asked. She was wildly attracted to the adorable stuttering man before her and when he smiled, she felt a flurry of butterflies unleash in her stomach.

“We leave at one in the afternoon.”

“Why don’t you drop Cash off at the daycare with his things and I’ll take him home with me after my shift. He’ll get to play with the other dogs which I think he’ll like.” She stood from the table and smiled over at Nathan, reaching out her hand to shake his. “You have my number if you need anything between now and then.”

Nathan smiled at her and Lizzie felt her insides flutter again. “I’ll leave two tickets for you at will call tomorrow. Bring whoever you want.”

~*~*~


Samantha giggled as she took Lizzie’s phone from her, flipping through the pictures on google of Nathan. “He’s so tiny, Lizzie! Are you sure he plays professional hockey and isn’t just pulling a fast one on you? I mean, how can he possibly be a professional hockey player? Look at him!” She held up the phone, showing a picture of him standing back to back with another, much taller player.

“If you wear heels you will tower over him,” Samantha continued.

Lizzie shot a pointed look at her best friend. “Would you stop? He’s really nice and I don’t think he has any friends here yet. He only moved her in August. Plus I’m going to dog sit for him.”

“He has a dog?”

“Yes, Cash, a bernese mountain dog.”

“So he got a big dog to compensate.”

“Samantha!”

“What?” she trilled innocently. “Just saying....”

“I’m sure he’s not compensating. He’s really cute and he obviously works out and he’s really nice.”

“So you were checking him out?” Lizzie blushed. “Ooooh! Someone has a crush!” Samantha teased.

“I don’t have a crush. He’s a client. That would be inappropriate.”

“No, it’d be inappropriate to do him in front of his dog. Everything else is fair game.”

“You are inappropriate.”

Samantha shrugged. “Probably.” Lizzie pulled into the parking lot at PNC Arena and paid the parking fee, swinging into a spot. They followed a crowd of people to the front of the arena, the NC State football stadium just across the street. Lizzie smiled at the memories of countless games she had attended, both during her time as a student and after as an alumni. They walked inside and up to a will call window.

“I’m picking up tickets; Lizzie Miller,” she said to the woman behind the glass. She turned, flipping through a stack of envelopes before pulling one out.

“Do you have ID?” Lizzie nodded and passed her license through the small hole to the woman, who nodded, passing it and the tickets over to her. “Enjoy the game.”

“Thank you,” she replied, sticking her license in her purse and walking towards the ticket entrance, opening the envelope and passing one ticket to Samantha. They wandered through the concourse, venturing into the team store to look at the items for sale. Samantha nudged her and held a shirt out to her.

“You should get this,” she teased her, flipping it around to show his last name and number on the back.

“Shut up,” Lizzie muttered, putting the shirt back on the rack. She dragged Samantha out of the store and they headed for their seats. The clock indicated there were eight minutes until the start of the game.

“So do you even understand what we are about to watch?”

“No but I’m sure we can figure it out. We’re smart girls.”

Samantha snorted. “I doubt this very seriously.”

Lizzie and Samantha followed along with the crowd, cheering and booing for the home team. Samantha pulled her phone out during the first intermission and they googled some of the terms they had heard, learning what the penalties were and trying to understand some of the intricacies of the game. When the second started, they felt better prepared.

Midway through the second period, Nathan's line took the ice and started up ice towards the Devils goal. Lizzie held her breath as Nathan accepted a pass from one of his teammates and fired, the puck sailing past the goaltender and into the back of the net.

"Oh my god!" Lizzie exclaimed as she jumped to her feet. She clapped and cheered and exchanged high fives with the guys behind them.

"That was amazing!" She squealed as she sat back down.

Samantha giggled as she pointed towards the video board where a replay of the goal was being played and the ensuing celebration. "You lose him completely when his teammates hug him. It's like he's not even there."

Lizzie shoved her lightly. "Stop it! That's so mean."

"Lizzie, he is short. That is fact."

"He gave us these really great seats. You shouldn't say such things."

"Whatever, Lizzie. He might be a nice guy but it doesn't change his lack of height."

As the final buzzer sounded, the Hurricanes won 1-0 on Nathan's goal. He was the games second star and when he came out to salute the crowd, he spotted Lizzie and their eyes met. He smiled up at her and she smiled back. As soon as he reached his locker, he texted her.

Hey. A bunch of us are going to a nearby bar. Do you want to meet me there?

Lizzie grabbed her phone as soon as she heard it buzz and smiled at Nathan's text message.

"Nathan invited me to meet him," she said to Samantha.

"Tell him we'll meet him there."

"Why? You have nothing nice to say about him."

"So? Maybe that tall, blonde hunk on his line will be there and he can introduce us."

Lizzie rolled her eyes at Samantha and picked up her phone to reply to Nathan.

Tell me where and I'll be there. Is it okay if my friend Samantha comes with me?

Sure. That's fine.

Cool. I had fun.

Yeah? You liked it?

I googled everything I didn't know.

I can explain it all later.

Thanks. Your goal was great.

Thanks. I gotta shower; I'll see you there?

We'll be there!


~*~*~


Nathan walked into the bar with his teammates almost an hour after the end of the game. His eyes scanned the crowd for Lizzie but he sighed in defeat and pulled his phone out as they reached a table.

Are you here? He texted Lizzie.

Yes. Near the dart boards in the back.

I’ll find you. Don’t move.


Samantha giggled as she read over Lizzie’s shoulder. “He probably can’t find you because he’s so short.”

Lizzie frowned at her friend and stepped away from the table, glancing left and right, looking for Nathan. She spotted him and when their eyes met, his face broke into a grin. Lizzie waved and as he neared, Lizzie stepped towards him. He moved to hug her and then stopped. Lizzie wasn’t sure what to do either and finally stuck her hand out to him. He grasped her hand in his and continued to smile.

“Hey; you have fun?” he asked.

“Yes; thank you again,” Lizzie replied. “This is my friend, Samantha,” she introduced, pulling Samantha over.

Samantha smiled. “What’s up short stuff?”

The smile never left Nathan’s face as he shook Samantha’s hand. “It’s nice to meet you, Samantha. Do you and Lizzie work together?”

Samantha laughed. “No; I hate dogs. I work at a bank. So tell me, Nathan, how did you become a hockey player?”

Nathan shrugged. “Hard work, determination. All the standard cliches.”

“How did you get past the minimum height requirement though?”

“Samantha!” Lizzie gasped.

“It’s a fair question,” Samantha returned. She pointed across the room to where several of his teammates stood. “Those two have to be at least a foot taller than you. Is there anyone under six feet tall on the team other than you?”

“There are a couple guys who are five eleven, but most of the guys are six foot or taller. Those two in particular you pointed out are both six foot four. I’ve played with, and against, taller.”

“It’s still funny. You’re tiny. I mean, I’m taller than you and if Lizzie was wearing heels, she’d be taller than you.”

“Then I guess it’s a good thing I’m not tonight,” Lizzie added through clenched teeth. She grabbed Samantha's arm. “We need to go.” She turned to Nathan. “If you don’t want me to watch Cash, I understand,” she said over her shoulder as she pulled Samantha out of the bar. She moved quickly to her car, pushing Samantha towards the passenger side and slamming the door behind her as she climbed into the drivers side.

“That was absolutely mortifying!” Lizzie exclaimed as Samantha settled into her seat. “What were you thinking?”

“What?” Samantha asked innocently. “I was only joking.”

“You made fun of his height! He’s a guy! Don’t you think that’s probably a sore subject for him? Christ, Samantha! He’s sort of my boss. I was supposed to dog sit for him.”

“First of all, did you see the way he looked at you? He’ll still want you to dog sit for him, no matter what I say. He likes you, Lizzie.”

“If he liked me, he probably hates me now because of my bitchy best friend.”

“If he’s worth anything, he’ll take it with a grain of salt and show up next week for you to watch his dog.”

~*~*~


On Wednesday of the following week, Nathan parked his car in the parking lot of the doggy day care and clipped a leash onto Cash’s collar. He walked his dog inside and smiled at Kelly behind the counter.

“Hey, Kelly. Is Lizzie here? She’s expecting us,” Nathan said.

“Let me call for her,” Kelly smiled. She pushed a button on the walkie talkie attached to her belt and spoke into the microphone hanging from her ear. “Lizzie, I need you up front please.” She smiled as she heard a voice back in her ear and turned back to Nathan. “She’ll be up in a second,” she told him.

“Thanks.” He moved away from the desk and waited for Lizzie, Cash sitting obediently at his feet.

“Mr. Gerbe!” Lizzie said in surprise as she stepped into the lobby. “I wasn’t sure I’d see you today.”

“It’s Nathan,” he smiled. “And you’re the only dog sitter I know in town.”

“I’m really sorry about Samantha. She can come off as a bitch but its just her sense of humor.”

“It’s fine, Lizzie.”

“It was harsh for someone she doesn’t know and way out of line.”

“Then it’s a good thing it’s not her I’m trying to impress.” Lizzie blushed. “Were you impressed after seeing me play?”

“Yeah, I was impressed.”

“Good. I was thinking then that when I get back, maybe I could take you out to dinner.”

“You want to take me out to dinner?”

“I will drive and pay, but you’ll have to pick the restaurant, being the expert on Raleigh and all.”

Lizzie laughed. “I think I can manage that.”

“It’s a date then.”

“A date,” she agreed.

Nathan glanced at his watch and sighed. “I gotta go if I’m gonna make the flight.” He handed Lizzie Cash’s leash and a key. “I bought a bag of food but forgot it at my house. You can just swing by and pick it up and anything else of his you’ll need.”

“Are you sure? I can go to the store and get another bag of food.”

“No, it’s fine. I trust you. I can’t explain why but I do. Just don’t rob me blind and we’ll be good.”

“Scouts honor, I will not rob you blind,” she smiled. Lizzie motioned for Kelly who walked over. “Kelly, would you mind taking Cash into the back for me? He can go in the yard with Molly and Moo.”

“No problem,” Kelly answered, taking his leash.

Nathan squatted down and scratched the dogs head before kissing the top of his head. “Be good for Lizzie, buddy.” The dog responded by licking Nathan’s face before Kelly led him away. Lizzie followed Nathan out to his car.

“So you’re back Saturday?” Lizzie asked.

“We get in at like one in the morning. You can bring Cash over around ten. We have a game that night and might have a light practice around eleven.”

Lizzie nodded. “Okay.”

Nathan wrapped one arm around Lizzie’s waist and pulled her in close, kissing her softly. “Sunday night?”

“Seven?”

“It’s a date.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
I had a soft spot for Gerbe when he was a Sabre and the love grew when he became a Hurricane. I've seen him play a few times in person already this year and he's just awesome. Plus he's super nice and each game I've been to, he has stopped for the fans after, signing and talking to everyone who is waiting. Everyone should have a little love for him, I insist on it. :)