Status: Maybe

Jack

Chapter 2

The very chill that crept down Jack's spine was still present as he slowly made his way to the bottom floor of the gallery. When he entered the first large room, the first thing he noticed was the blue paints smeared on the floor in the shape of footprints, the second thing he noticed was the red velvet rope that was around the floor painting was open and the footprints led into the painting. With hesitant footsteps Jack walked to the painting, past the the velvet rope, and in front of the painting.

The boy slowly reached his hand out, meaning to touch the painting, but when it rippled from his hand Jack's eyes widened. He slowly stepped his foot into the painting, watching the painting practically swallow up his foot as he closed his eyes and fully stepped into it. When he opened his eyes, he found himself on a dark blue staircase, and as he looked around a bit more he noticed that the room itself was equally as blue as the stairs.

Jack's mind was spinning, he didn't know how exactly this was happening and he didn't even want it to be real. His thoughts were jumbled up and nothing was making sense to him as he walked down the blue stairs into a large corridor that went to the left and right. He decided to go right, because let's face it, you always should go right. But when he went to the right, he was faced with a large blue door and when he tried opening it, he figured it was locked.

With a deep sigh and a hand running through his black hair, Jack turned back and went to the left instead. This time, there was a vase with a bright red rose in it in front of a door. The boy has never seen such a beautifully flower in his life, it was perfectly bloomed and a perfect shade of red. Since there was nobody around, Jack decided to take the flower before moving the vase out of the way and opening the door that it was blocking.

A shaky breath was released from his lungs as he closed the door behind him and looked around the room. It was completely vacant besides the large painting of a woman with teal hair, smiling sweetly with her eyes closed, and a dark blue key in the middle of the key. Jack guessed it was the key for the door on the right side of the corridor, so he reached down and grabbed it.

However when he looked back up at the painting, he noticed it changed. The painting instead had a giant smile and wide eyes, looking to the right. There was writing below it.

When the rose perishes, so too will you perish away.

It creeped Jack out, so he swiftly left with a large sigh and made his way to the blue door. But as he was on his way, red paint oozed from the wall next to him and as he stepped back to look at it more clearly, he noticed it spelled out the word Thief.

Jack guessed it was because of the rose, but he liked it, so by god he was going to fucking keep it. With a roll of the eyes, Jack kept walking, but whatever forces were against him, smeared the floor with red paint abruptly in front of him, which also spelled out the word Thief.

It felt like the boy's feet were glued onto the ground as he stared down at the words, wondering what exactly was happening to him, but even more importantly, where he even was. It seemed bizarre to step into a painting and end up in a new world, everything in this place seemed bizarre and Jack desperately wanted to get out, but with his knowledge of how things work, it would take awhile and it'll only get worse as he continues.

With a shaky breath, he carefully stepped over the smeared words and continued to the door. Halfway down the hall, he noticed the staircase that was there before, had now disappeared and there was now a wall there. There was no escape now, the only way out is to continue and that unnerved Jack to no end.

The blue key clutched tightly in his right hand as he slowly approached the locked door, fitting the key instead and creeping the door slightly open, hinges crying out from the pressure and making the sound bounce off the walls. Jack poked his head through the small opening of the door, being met with dark green walls. Making sure it was safe, he opened the door further and slid his body through before closing the door behind him, making sure his red flannel didn't get caught in the now closed door.

As he looked around, he noticed on the left there was one single column and two openings on the side, leading into a large hallway. On the right there were pictures of bugs on the wall and a door farther away to the right. Jack decided to go try the door first, but when he entered the room there was a large gaping hole in the middle of it, with a door on the other side. Even with his long limbs, he wouldn't be able to cross it without something that could support his weight in the middle.

A deep sigh left his lungs as he turned back around and going back to the column, reading the small note on it.

Beware the edges.

Jack guessed he wasn't suppose to go near the ends of the hallway, like he was suppose to avoid something and stay in the middle. So he stepped aside to get by the column, and stepped in the middle of the hallway, eyes looking at both ends wearily. Jack stepped slowly down the hallway, he only got about five steps before a large hand crashed out of the wall on his right, which caused another hand to rip out on his left.

The boy's scream echoed off the walls as he tried to not jump from all the hands coming out of the wall as he ran to the end. This time though, a hand actually grabbed onto him at the very end. The hand came out in front of him and grabbed onto the collar of his shirt under his flannel, lifting him off the ground, before forcefully throwing him back down, knocking the breath out of him completely.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw his rose on the ground, a few feet away from him. One petal was missing. Jack could've swore there were five petals on it when he got it, but now there were only four, and as he reached out to grab it again he noticed small scratch marks littering his arms.

That was when he realized that this rose was his lifeline.

---

"What the fuck kind of room is this?" Jack's voice echoed off the walls as he looked around him. The room was shaped like a cat, even a fish shaped hole was in between the eyes painted on the large wall in font of him. Two doors were on his left and right.

Deciding to go right, Jack entered a room which looked to be the stash for artists. Sculptors all around and boxes that looked to be filled with paint and brushes, along with other painting tools. As he walked closer to everything, the lights slowly dimmed out until it was dark in the room, it wasn't as dark as the gallery but still pretty dark. Luckily, Jack could see where he was going and what was around him.

Jack walked past the line of paintings and found a note on the floor, it was labeled Materials Storehouse, it didn't say anything else so he just guessed he was right about what this place was. However as he found a vase full of water, he heard something shaking behind him, but as he turned around it stopped and silence fell over the room.

Placing his rose in the vase, he watched as all the water sucked into the rose and the missing petal returned, Jack looked at his arms, seeing the scratches gradually fade away until they were completely gone. With a mumbled Wow, on his part, Jack picked the rose back up before securing it safely in his back pocket.

However when he turned around he saw one the sculptures moving away from the rest until it was nearly in front of Jack, before it tipped over and shattered open. In the pile of broken clay, the boy saw something shaped like a fin, guessing it was one of the missing part of the fish hole in the cat room, he carefully grabbed it and hurried his way out of the room and to the left door instead.

---

"You found me, you get prize."

Jack had to hold his tongue by the illiterate speech, but it was no wonder it didn't grasp the full concept of proper English. It was a fucking painting.

A fish head dropped in front of him, seemingly out of nowhere, and Jack picked it up before leaving the room to put the fish together in the hole, hopefully opening an entrance somewhere.

Jack first put the head in, then put the back of the fish in, completing the fish. The cat's black iris turned red and was just a sliver of what it used to be, and the fish key hole disappeared before the walls moved to the sides, creating a narrow path up ahead.

The boy sighed as he continued in his journey.