Status: I'll try and post as much as I can (:

O Captain, My Captain.

Chapter Twenty

"Hi, honey!" Joyce exclaimed on the other line.

"Hey, mom," Aubrey smiled.

"How are things in Pittsburgh with the team? Everything okay? Wait. Why are you calling? Did something happen?" she sounded worried.

"No, mom, everything's fine. I was just calling to see how you and dad are. I haven't talked to you guys for awhile," Aubrey twirled a strand of her hair.

"Oh," Joyce breathed a sigh of relief. "Everything's fine on our end. You father's actually sitting here right next to me reading the sports section."

"Anything interesting?"

"Well he mentioned something about the Pens being on a what was it dear?" Joyce said to Aubrey's father, Tom, in the background.

"A six-game win streak," Tom replied.

"Yes a six-game win streak. That's quite impressive," Joyce said. "How's everything going on the work-front?"

"Great, actually. Dad's right. We are on a bit of a winning streak so that's making my job a little easier."

"No major injuries plaguing the team that need tending to?" Joyce asked.

"Just a few minor bruises and scratches here and there but nothing too substantial," Aubrey replied.

"HEY, AUBS, WHEN'S THAT TANNER GLASS GONNA BE CLEARED TO PLAY?" Tom called from the background.

"Tom, keep your voice down!" Joyce scolded him.

"Tell him sometime soon. He's not the first person to ask me about it actually," Aubrey said recalling Kuni hounding her about it on the plane.

Aubrey could hear her mother relaying the message to her father.

"WELL WE NEED ANOTHER SOLID DEFENSEMAN OUT THERE!" Tom called again.

"Ohhhh your father," Joyce sighed. "He's been keeping himself up to date with the team more so now that you've started working for them."

"Really?" Aubrey smiled. "That's great. The team's kinda what I'm calling about actually."

"Yeah? Is everything okay?" Joyce questioned.

"Everything's going realllly well. Never better. I've actually been kind of seeing someone," Aubrey blushed.

"Oh?" Joyce sounded surprised. "Like seeing someone on the team?"

"WHAT!?" Tom shouted.

"Keep your voice down, dear!" Joyce scolded her husband again.

"Why don't you put the phone on speaker phone so he doesn't have to yell?" Aubrey suggested.

She heard a few buttons being pressed and pictured her mom standing in the living room fumbling with the phone trying to locate the speaker button.

"There," Joyce said finally. "Can you hear us?"

"Yep," Aubrey giggled. "Can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear," Tom's voice was at normal octave.

"Okay, honey, now what were you saying?" Joyce continued.

"I'm seeing someone," Aubrey took a deep breath in.

"Like another staff member or a player?" Joyce questioned.

"A player," Aubrey blushed.

"WHO!?" her parents both shouted in unison.

She took another deep breath in as she mulled the conversation over. She was nervous. Her parents had always been firm believers in never mixing business with pleasure and preached the same practice to both she and Chelsea. They wouldn't be mad about her dating someone, more so dating someone within the organization. Especially a guy like Sid who was well-known throughout the league.

"Sidney Crosby," Aubrey blurted.

"Well all be damned, son-of-a-bitch," Tom chuckled. "My little girl's dating Sid the Kid."

"Daaaad," Aubrey groaned, thankful that her father seemed to be taking pride in the situation.

"Sidney Crosby? That name sounds familiar. Now which one is he?" Joyce asked, her minimal knowledge on all things Penguins starting to surface.

"He's the captain, mom," Aubrey sighed, embarrassed of her mother's lack of common sense. How can someone live in the state of Pennsylvania with a daughter who works for the team not know who Sidney Crosby is.

"Not ringing a bell. Lemme Google him," Joyce's voice became distant, probably searching around for her laptop.

"He's the one who wears the 'C' on his sweater, dear," Tom said.

"Ohhhhh!" Joyce exclaimed. "Honey! Now he's a looker!"

"Not too bad at hockey either," Aubrey said, trying to remind her mother that that wasn't the only reason she was with him.

"That's my girl," Tom said. "More mesmerized by his skill rather than his looks."

"You raised me well," Aubrey beamed.

"Yeah, yeah," Joyce interrupted their conversation. "Well this is all very exciting! How long have you two been seeing each other? Has this been a recent thing?"

"Ummm it'll be a month next Wednesday. I just wanted you guys to hear it from me before you hear it anywhere else like on the news or something."

"On the news?" Joyce sounded shocked. "Will it really draw that much media attention?"

"He's like god's gift to our state, of course it'll be a big deal, honey," Tom spat.

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't know," Joyce protested.

"I mean it might get some local attention but it won't be like breaking news across the country," Aubrey giggled.

"Well just be careful, sweetie. If he's that big of a deal like he sounds like, you know how rumors can go flying around. Especially if they know you work for the team," Joyce warned. "You don't want them assuming things that aren't true."

"He and I have already discussed it and we already know how we're gonna address it," Aubrey lied. She and Sidney brainstormed some ideas last night during the movie but hadn't come up with anything officially.

"Make sure everyone on the team knows," Tom chimed in.

"One step ahead of ya, dad. Sid's taking care of it at practice," Aubrey replied.

"Very good," Tom said.

"Does your sister know?" Joyce asked.

"Yeah," Aubrey sighed. "Chelsea's actually been coaching me through it. It's been a lot to take in."

"Well just remember, sweetie, that he's just like everyone else. Try not to get in too over your head," Joyce reminded her. "It shouldn't matter whether he's some famous athlete or not, you guys are gonna maintain a normal relationship."

"I know, mom."

"I know you know but I'm just reminding you," Joyce exclaimed. "Well this is all very exciting, isn't it Tom?"

"Yes, Aubs. You couldn't have picked a better guy. He's lucky to have ya," Tom piped up.

"Thanks, dad," Aubrey smiled. "He was actually thinking about having you guys come down for a game. He really wants to me you guys."

"Ohhhh!" Joyce started clapping. "That would be lovely!"

"We'd love that!" Tom said.

"Good," Aubrey beamed, appreciative that her parents seemed supportive of her newfound relationship. "Well take a look at your guys's schedules and let me know what works for you and we can bring you guys down to meet everyone."

"I have a feeling all of this is gonna turn me into a hockey fan," Joyce laughed.

"I promise you'll love it," Aubrey reassured her mother. "Well I need to go run a few errands but I just wanted to call and see how you guys were."

"And tell us that you're now dating the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins?" Tom chuckled.

"And tell you guys that I'm now dating the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins," Aubrey rolled her eyes. "Love you two."

"We love you too," Joyce cooed. "And tell Sidney we look forward to meeting him soon."

"Will do," Aubrey said. And with that, she ended the phone call.

Success.