Status: I'll try and post as much as I can (:

O Captain, My Captain.

Chapter Thirty-One

"KILL, KILL, KILL!" Dirty Dan yelled from across the arena. "We've got to get better at that, boys."

It was the end of a long and rigorous practice and by the looks of it, you would've thought they had just run a marathon. Nealer was hunched over with his hands on his knees struggling to catch his breath. Never in his life had a coach worked him so hard, not even when he was conditioning for all the various types of NHL prospect camps. But as much as he hated it now, he was always appreciative of it in the long run. Without all the strenuous workouts, he wouldn't have a body of steel that would win the ladies over.

But as of late, it wasn't so much about impressing multiple ladies as it was just one lady in particular. Chelsea had been on his mind since the second she left his house in the suburbs and headed back home to her everyday life in northern Pennsylvania. Each time they hung out seemed to get better and better than the last. They were starting to learn little details about each other that not just anyone would have the privilege to know. But it still wasn't enough. Not yet at least. He had so much more to learn about this girl and was counting down the days until he got to see her next. Was James Neal a changed man?

"Nealer," Paulie chirped. "You alright there, buddy?"

"Yeah," Nealer grimaced, picking at the tape on his stick. "Never better."

"Then wipe that look off your face," Paulie nudged him. "It's freakin me out."

"What look?" Nealer sounded genuinely confused.

"The one where you actually look deep in thought," Paulie laughed. "Like you actually have something intelligent to say."

"Fuck off," Nealer smirked.

"You know if I didn't know any better I'd say you were thinking about a girl," Paulie raised his eyebrows in suspicion.

"Come on, Paulie," Nealer smiled nervously. "You know that's not how I operate."

"Don't lie to him, Nealer," Sid casually skated up behind the two, giving James a tiny shove.

"What?" Nealer laughed awkwardly.

"What!?" Paulie sounded offended. "Are you hiding something from me?"

"Yeah, Nealer, quit keeping secrets from your boyfriend," Sid laughed, pleased with his jab on his two teammates.

"Paulie makes me breakfast every now and then and suddenly we're dating?" Nealer said mockingly. "Give me a fucking break, Cappy. Why don't you tell him how pussy-whipped you are and have yet to get any?"

"Actually," Sid smirked. "That streak has ended."

"No way," Nealer laughed. "Bullshit."

"Wait," Paulie cut in. "You and Aubrey have been dating all this time and you two just now sealed the deal?"

"Isn't that insane?" Nealer commented.

"Unlike you two, I don't need to sleep around to get my fix. I know how to hold out for some quality sex," Sid beamed.

"Unbelievable," Nealer shook his head.

"So what you're saying is it was worth the wait?" Paulie sounded curious.

"Absolutely."

"I would've gone insane," Nealer said.

"Hang on, Nealer. Cappy might be onto something," Paulie intervened. "I know what it's like to be in a committed relationship and the sex is mind-blowingly better than with just some random hook up. You actually care for the person and that makes it so much more worth it."

"Thank you!" Sid exclaimed. "See I'm not fucking crazy."

"Oh my god," Nealer scoffed. "Are you goin soft on me, Paulie?"

"No," Paulie frowned. "I just see where Sid's coming from."

"I'm never letting you be my wingman again," Nealer joked slowly skating towards the locker room.

"Nealer, I've seen the kind of girls you bring home when I'm not there to guide you in the right direction. I'm your best shot at helping you find some quality pussy."

"Speaking of quality pussy, why don't you tell Paulie about Chelsea," Sid chimed in, skating alongside the two.

"She has a name!" Paulie clapped.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Nealer said softly.

"Nealer's been banging Aubrey's sister," Sid motioned his head in James' direction.

"Ah," Paulie nodded his head.

"DUDE!" Nealer punched Sid in the arm.

"Now who's goin soft, huh Nealsy?" Paulie razzed.

"She's a cool girl," Nealer defended his recent love interest. "Like not the kind of girl you just randomly pick up at a bar, but one that'll keep you on your toes."

"That's for damn sure," Sid spat.

"You really like this chick?" Paulie feigned interest.

"I don't know," Nealer scratched his head. "She's captured my interest for the time being."

"She's actually coming down to spend the weekend with him," Sid piped up again, calling Nealer's bluff.

"You don't say?" Paulie laughed. "So you'll be tied down all weekend?"

"She'd probably come out with us if I asked her to," Nealer said. "But I don't wanna take my chances."

"Afraid she might run off with someone with better hair?" Paulie joked.

"No," Nealer's tone turned serious.

"She might actually make a pretty good wing woman," Sid admitted. "She doesn't dick around when it comes to pointing out flaws in people."

"So how the hell did she end up falling for Nealer?" Paulie led the two of them down the tunnel and into the locker room.

"Right?" Sid nudged Nealer to the side as he made his way to his stall.

"Just shut the fuck up," Nealer sounded frustrated. "Both of you."

"What's wrong, Nealer?" Sid mocked starting to untie his skates. "Pussy-whipped?"

"I might actually have a good thing going and you two keep chirping me about it," Nealer spat. "I wanted to keep this thing quiet in case it never turned into anything but now that Cappy's opened his mouth, everyone will probably find out about it."

"Damn, Nealsy," Paulie said. "I didn't know this was like a serious thing."

"It's not...at least not for now anyways," Nealer trailed off removing some of his gear "I just wanna see where things go."

"I'm sorry man," Sid got up to pat Nealer on the shoulder. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"That okay, Cap," Nealer smirked.

"But since she's not here now, where are we going out tonight?" Paulie broke the awkward tension, capturing the ears of a few of the guys listening around them.

"Mario's?" Geno chimed in.

"MARIO'S!" some of them cheered in unison.

With so many of the guys hitting the south side, it would definitely make for an interesting night.
♠ ♠ ♠
decided to show off a bit of nealer's sensitive side. as always, let me know what you guys think!