Status: I'll try and post as much as I can (:

O Captain, My Captain.

Chapter Thirty-Three

"Shot of whiskey, please," Nealer told the bartender.

"And for you?" the busty brunette with a low-cut Steeler's t-shirt on turned to face Sidney.

"Uh, I'll stick with Bud Light for now," he stammered. "Thank you."

"One whiskey and Bud comin right up," the bartender disappeared behind the counter to fetch their drinks.

"Come on dude, a Bud Light?" Nealer razzed him. "We're supposed to be out celebrating."

Nealer was right but Sid just wasn't feeling the bar scene right now. Nisky had invited the whole team out for drinks on him because he had a big announcement he wanted to make to everyone. Turns out he had popped the question to his girlfriend earlier in the week and wanted to go out and share his excitement with some of his best guy friends. Free drinks because a guy was in love with his girlfriend. What wasn't to love, right? But something just felt off.

"Yeah you're right," Sid tried to perk up. "Next round we're taking shots."

"That's the spirit," Nealer patted his shoulder. "As long as Nisky's buying, I'm ordering everything on the damn menu. Right, Nisky?"

"What?" Nisky trotted over as soon as he heard his name. "Enjoying yourselves, fellas?"

"Absolutely," Sid slapped hands with the defenseman. "Congratulations, man."

"Thanks, Cappy," Nisky smiled. "I'll tell ya I was SO nervous. I'm just happy it's over and she said yes."

"I'll bet," Sid chuckled. "You're a lucky guy. Kate's a great girl."

"Yeah, man," Nealer chimed in. "If she could put up with half the shit you did in Dallas, she's a keeper."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Nisky said sarcastically, his attention fixed on the busty bartender delivering their drinks.

"Nisky was a wild one?" Sid pointed to his teammate and took a swig of his beer.

"Dude ran TRAIN on girls all the time on road trips. Don't let that innocent Minnesota accent fool ya. Guy's an animal," Nealer laughed, downing his hard alcohol.

"No shit?" Sid set the bottle down.

"I wouldn't say I ran train but I had my fair share of indulgence before Kate came along," Nisky admitted.

"Indulgence?" Nealer shook his head. "Do you hear this fucker?"

"I guess that's what happens when you get a college education," Sid shrugged.

"You guys are assholes," Nisky laughed.

"We're just messin with ya, bud," Nealer picked up his empty shot glass and gently tapped it against the bar. "But like Cappy said, congrats dude. Kate's awesome."

"Thanks, man," Nisky's happy facial expression suddenly turned into a look of confusions. "Uh, Sid."

"Yeah?" Sid took another swig of Bud, completely unaware of what Nisky's attention was fixated on.

"Isn't that what's-her-face?" Nisky nodded his head towards the petite blonde who was making her way over to their area of the bar.

"Oh shit," Sid's eyes went wide.

"What?" Nealer twisted his head to look in the same direction as his teammates as the girl got closer.

"Hello, Sidney," the girl said as soon as she approached them.

"Shelby," Sid said quietly.

"Nice to finally see you out and about," she scowled. "Mind introducing me to your friends?"

"I'm James," Nealer extended his right hand.

"Nisky," the defenseman did the same.

"Nice to meet you both," she flashed them a fake smile. "I'm Shelby."

"What are you doing here?" Sid kept his voice low, not wanting his teammates to suspect anything unusual.

"I can't go to the bars with Lauren after you rudely ignored us at your game a few months ago?" she said sweetly. "And to think we were more than that, Sid."

"We were never anything," he scoffed.

"Please," she rolled her eyes.

"I thought I made it very clear to you that night that we were done. I've moved on," Sid played with the brim of his beer bottle.

"So how do you two know each other?" Nealer interrupted their quiet spat.

"We used to date," Shelby cocked her head to the side and smirked.

"Really?" Nealer raised his eyebrows in confusion.

"We went out a few times," Sid tried to set the record straight. "Casual friends stuff."

"I see," Nealer nodded his head.

"Don't lie to him, babe!" Shelby exclaimed. "We were together for at least two months."

"We were never together," Sid shook his head in frustration.

"I think I'm gonna go see if Suttsy wants to shoot some pool with me," Nealer stood up, quickly making up a random excuse to avoid the awkward scuffle. "Nice to meet you, Shelby."

"You too, James," she flashed him another fake smile.

"Shelby," Sid started to say.

"I miss you," she took both his hands in hers and gave them a gentle squeeze. "I'm willing to forgive you for having that one bitch try and set me straight on the phone after your game if you buy me a drink. I think we should get back together."

"That 'bitch' has a name and she just so happens to be someone very special to me," he snapped. "You and I were never a thing nor will we ever be a thing so you can cut the shit."

"Vom," Shelby rolled her eyes. "Are you meaning to tell me that you and that bitch are an item?"

"Aubrey and I's relationship doesn't concern you in any way, shape, or form," he gritted his teeth.

"So that's a yes," she reached for his beer and took a long gulp. "And I'm assuming you're probably trying to keep it hidden for as long as possible."

"Again, absolutely nothing in my life concerns you whatsoever," he said in a harsh tone.

"Whatever, Sidney," she scoffed. "You're still the same pussy you were a couple months ago when you and I were together."

"You and I were never a thing!" he raised his voice grabbing the attention from a few of his teammates. "I've had feelings for Aubrey for as long as I can remember. You were just a phase and I'm so glad you were nothing more than that. You're a jersey chaser!"

"Excuse me?" Shelby spat.

"You heard me. You're nothing more than a jersey-chasing puck slut who couldn't even tell me the first thing about hockey," he quieted his tone again. "Go find some other dude to go suffocate."

And with that, Sidney swiftly stood, paid for his beer and made his way over to where the rest of his teammates her chatting amongst themselves.

"FUCK YOU!" she called after him.

His back was turned to her so she was unable to see the disgusted look he had on his face when her shrill voice directed the profanities at him. He needed to get out of there before he said anything else he might regret. Out of there and back to Aubrey where he was secretly longing to be.