Status: Couldn't help it

Killer

you get me through

Annie’s knees were shaking as she walked through the cold, dead rooms, feeling like she was back in that hallway in the hospital. She pulled her cardigan more tightly around herself as her shoes padded against the floors, the officer in front of her looking like some kind of giant. She swallowed nervously, feeling like she was going to throw up or start crying at the thought of Sidney in this horrible place. Finally the officer opened a door, leading her out to a courtyard filled with wooden tables. It could have been mistaken for a park were it not for the giant barbed wire fence and numerous guards.

“Wait here.” A bench was pointed to and Annie obediently sat, her hands still shaking as she waited. The normally warm air seemed icy cold to her as she saw all these men either awaiting trial, sentencing, maybe even execution. She shivered at the thought, not knowing if she could stay in this wretched place a second longer before she heard his voice.

“Annie.” She turned to see Sidney, beaming at her. She shot up, running to him and falling into his arms. He gripped her back, never wanting to let go as he kissed the top of her head. “How are you?”

“Forget me, how are you?” She asked, pulling away to look into his eyes.

“I’m surviving.” He said simply. “Thanks to you.”

“Me?” He cradled her face in his hands, looking into her eyes.

“Thinking about you is what gets me through the night.” He murmured. She blushed as he tilted her chin up, looking into her eyes. “When my bail is set tomorrow at nine, can I ask you to be there?”

“Of course.” She whispered. He set his hand on her shoulder, leading her back to her table and both of them sitting down. “The funeral is Tuesday.” She whispered. “Can I… I mean, would you be alright coming? The Kings are having a big memoriam for him the Saturday after, but it would mean a lot if you were at the funeral.” He set his hand over hers, weaving their fingers together.

“Anything you need Annie.” He promised. He just let his eyes move over her face, trying to memorize every pore and freckle. “God you’re beautiful.” He whispered. She blushed, turning to look at the ground again, but he caught her face with his fingers, keeping her gaze on him. “I don’t mean to embarrass you but… my memory can’t do you justice.” She pressed her lips together, hugging him again and never wanting to let go.

“Sidney.” She whispered against his skin. “When you get out, can we um…” She stopped, licking her lips nervously. He tried to pull away to look at her, but she tightened her grip on him.

“What is it Annie? Anything you want, you know I’ll do it for you.” He swore, running a hand through her limp curls. They were still the slightest touch damp from her shower that morning, and Sidney blushed at the thought of her naked, wondering if she was like some sort of Greek goddess, and Aphrodite that hid in the slender curves of her hips and her soft skin.

“When you’re released, can we finish what we started before they took you away?” She allowed him to pull away as his eyes met hers, his cheeks burning. He had no idea what to say to her request as those big, amber eyes stared into his own.

“Do you think it’s a good idea?” He whispered. “I think we may have been a bit caught up in the moment.”

“I wasn’t.” She whispered, touching his face gently. “I can’t think of a single thing that would make me happier then you laying me down and making love to me.” She murmured, her warm breath rolling over his lips as she spoke. He wanted to kiss her, to show every single person in here that he had a girl who cared about him, and that he loved her. But he knew there had to be a reporter or two hiding in the bushes, and didn’t want her to get any worse press than she was already. So he settled for taking her hands in his, gripping them and memorizing the way they fit against his.

“I can’t either.” He admitted. “Annie, when they were going to take me away, when I told you to take care and be strong, that’s not what I wanted to tell you.” He whispered. She smiled sadly at him, giving the faintest hint of her dimples that so perfectly matched her brothers.

“I know.” She said. He just looked at her, blushing lightly.

“You do?” She simply nodded, her eyes staring into his so intently he felt as though she was reading his mind, seeing everything that had happened in these last few days through his eyes.

“I wanted to tell you the same thing.” She admitted. “But I was scared. I just, when I think about how small of an amount of time it’s been, that you killed…” She stopped, choking back tears. “I was scared to admit it to myself, let alone you. And I saw that same reservation in your eyes. That’s how I knew.” She moved one of her hands so her fingers traced up his palm before intertwining, her eyes not leaving his.

“Annie.” He whispered. “I have to tell you something.” She looked at him, chewing her lip nervously.

“Yes?”

“I found out who pressed the charges.” He murmured. “It was your parents.” Her eyes blew wide before her hand tore away from Sidney’s, flying to her mouth in horror. He could see the tears in her eyes and cursed himself for even saying anything, but he would rather she found out from him. “They came in here yesterday and said if I paid them ten million they would drop the charges and you and I would be free to live happily ever after.”

“But if not?” She asked, her voice shaking.

“They push for the maximum sentence.” He murmured. “And they said I would never see you again.”

“Fuck them.” She choked out. “You’ve been here more for me in the past week then they have my whole life.” She gripped Sidney again, kissing his neck innocently. “I have you to thank for getting me through this Sidney, I don’t know what I’d ever do without you.”

“Me neither.” He admitted. “I don’t know if I could have gone on.” He pulled away, brushing a curl away from her eyes. But something was tugging at his mind, something that he couldn’t put off asking her about anymore. “Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Your parents and Jeff both mentioned you throwing away your dreams and potential for Rylie, what were you doing?” She smiled softly, pressing her lips together.

“I did ballet.” She whispered. “I fell in love with it before Rylie was born. My mother saw me imitating the ballerinas when Swan Lake was on TV one day and signed me up. I did it religiously after that, practicing toe point and spins until my legs gave out from under me. I was so dedicated I started getting leads over girls who had far more seniority. I was lead in Dracula, Romeo and Juliet, The Nutcracker, and finally Swan Lake. It was everything to me, but when Rylie needed someone to take him to games, when he needed the same support he’d given me… I gave it up. I got a second job to help put him through goalie camp, I volunteered with his teams, and I took him to open skates wherever we could find them.” She sighed, smiling softly at the memories. “Ballet was my passion, but Rylie was my only brother.”

She felt Sidney’s hand on hers and looked up to be met with those brilliant eyes. “Why don’t you take it up again?” He asked. She shrugged, pressing her lips together.

“Even when Rylie was drafted, I wanted to support him. After all, he was basically paying for me to live with him, he refused to let me get a job besides being his cheerleader, and sometimes bringing food to the guys after practices.”

“He would want you to do what makes you happy.” Sidney murmured. A tear rolled down her cheek as she looked up at him, the pain in her eyes breaking his heart.

“Being his sister made me happier than anything else.” She breathed. Sidney had no idea what to say to her, a booming voice cutting off any ideas he could have had.

“Visiting hours are over!” Sidney looked back at her, kissing her forehead.

“I’ll be there tomorrow.” She promised, her eyes meeting his. He nodded and she stood, hesitantly standing on her toes before pressing her lips lightly to his. He kissed her back, if only for a moment before he heard the guard coming his way and pulled back. “I love you Sidney.” She whispered.

“I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY.
What do you think will happen at the bail hearing?
Will Annie's parents make another appearance?
Will she ever dance again?
I'd love to hear what you think!
And as usual, thank you so much for all the support
And as always, for reading.

oxoxoxox
Ashlee