Status: Couldn't help it

Killer

i need the truth

Annie just sat in her apartment, looking at the different brochures from funeral homes sitting on her coffee table. Jeff had offered to help, but after the look she had gotten from Jonathan at the hospital, the disappointment rolling off him, she just couldn’t see Jeff. She had never been so confused in her life as she just stared blankly at the seven different brochures in front of her, not having any idea what to do.

She and Rylie had never spoken about funeral arrangements before because there had never been a need. She didn’t know if he wanted to be cremated or buried back home in Vancouver. She didn’t know if he wanted a small service or a public one, none of it. Dean Lombardi had promised that cost wasn’t a problem because the team would pay for any and everything she needed for the service. He also told her the team would have a public memorial for him whenever she was ready.

Annie stood, unable to think about death for another second as she walked over to her window, overlooking the glittering city of Los Angeles. Rylie had bought this place for them with his first paycheck, saying that he would never be able to stay here without her. She pressed her face into her hands, shaking as she remembered Rylie telling her the view of the apartment made up for the somewhat higher price.

A knock on her door broke her from her thoughts as she turned. She waited for a moment to see if whoever it was would simply go away, but there was another knock. She sighed, walking over and opening the door, her blood freezing in her veins when she saw Sidney before her.

He looked even worse than she did, his eyes tired and dull. His usually perfectly styled hair was a mess, and he was wearing the same clothes he'd worn in the hospital. It looked as though he hadn’t slept since she’d told him to leave the morning before as he slumped in the doorway, looking at her. He reminded her of a lost puppy, shivering and alone in the cold as he just looked at her.

Part of her wanted to slam the door in his face. She wanted to shove him and punch him until she hurt him like he had hurt her. She wanted to push him out a window and watch him hit the ground. But when she saw that pleading look in his eyes, begging her to listen, the compassionate side she got from Rylie won out. She didn’t say a word, she just opened the door all the way, stepping off to one side and letting him in. She sighed, wondering if she was crazy as she shut the door behind him.

“Annie-” He started, but she simply held up her hand. She walked him over to her room, Rylie’s door still shut tight, and guided him to her bed. He practically passed out on his feet, crumbling onto the mattress and looking like he had fallen asleep before his head even hit the pillow. She couldn’t help but smile softly, remembering Rylie do the same thing when he got home from practice. She grabbed the blankets, pulling them over his bulky frame before sitting beside him. He groaned quietly, his eyes opening to look into her own.

“You need to sleep.” She murmured. He just looked at her, his eyes half closed and glassy. His hand then slowly reached up, grazing her cheek with his fingertips and causing Annie to blush.

“I spent all night trying to find you.” He yawned. “To apologize…” She watched as he fell asleep, his words turning into soft snores. She smiled again, running her fingers through his hair before she stood.

She walked past Rylie’s room, stopping and turning to look at the door. She had kept it shut tight since the other night, not wanting to have to be reminded of everything he left behind. She debated opening it, but simply turned and made her way into the kitchen. It was unseasonably cold, and the thought of Sidney out in the freezing weather somehow made her heart go out to him. So she opened the pantry, assuming he would be hungry when he woke up as she pulled out a box of pasta.

| | |


Sidney let out a long yawn as he awoke, and the first thing he noticed was that something smelled delicious. He slowly sat up, pushing aside the massive King’s fleece blanket as he stood. He had no idea how long he’d been asleep as he made his way towards the smell, but figured by the bright, nighttime scene of LA, it had been for most of the day.

He followed the smell towards the kitchen, stopping when he saw Annie leaning against the countertop. She had a number of brochures, Sidney assumed they had something to do with funerals, in her hands as she stood there. She looked to be on the verge of tears, so Sidney made sure to clear his throat loudly.

Her head snapped over to him before she gave him the faintest of smiles. “You’re up.” She said simply.

“Yeah, sorry about that.” He apologized, rubbing the back of his neck. “I didn’t uh, I didn’t sleep last night.”

“You told me.” He nodded at that, taking another sniff and smiling at her. Her faint smile widened at the blissful look on his face. “I figured you’d be hungry, so I made you some chicken noodle soup.”

“You didn’t have to-” He insisted, but she raised one of her hands, cutting him off.

“Look, I’m really not sure if I want to help you or throw you out the window right now, so don’t question it.” He thought she was joking for a moment, but when he saw the pained look in her eyes he knew she wasn’t. She simply grabbed a bowl, filling it up before handing it and a spoon to him. There was a long, awkward silence before finally Annie spoke again. “So, you spent all night trying to find me?” Sidney nodded.

“Nobody on the Kings would tell me, and Geno said you were staying in a hotel when he went on his date with you. So finally I called Jaclyn Quick and she told me your address.”

“How did you get Jacklyn’s number?”

“Marc’s wife and her are friends I guess. She didn’t want to at first, saying I needed to give you some space, but I told her what happened with Jeff and she finally gave it to me.” He looked at her for a long time as she just watched him. “Why did you let me in?”

“Huh?”

“Last time I saw you, Jeff had you ready to kill me. Why did you let me in?” She sighed, pressing her lips together before she looked up at him.

“Because it’s what Rylie would have wanted.” She murmured. She chuckled softly to herself, keeping her eyes on his shoes. “You were actually his idol growing up. He wanted to be the sixteen year old who was drafted and was the face of the NHL.” She looked up at him again, pressing her plump lips together. “Now he never will be.” Sidney set down his soup, walking over and simply pulling her into his arms.

She was caught off guard at first, but she slowly let her arms slip around him, burying her face in his shirt. He waited, nuzzling his face into her hair as she started shaking, sobbing quietly. He just stood there, holding her until finally she got a hold of herself. As he pulled back he kissed the top of her head, like he had seen Jeff do, causing her to flush.

“Why did you do it?” She asked, her eyes wide.

“Do what?” He asked, figuring she would ask about kissing her head or holding her, but her response caught him off guard.

“Go for that goal.” She asked, her voice shaking. He froze, swallowing nervously as she looked at him with tears in her eyes. “Please Sidney, I need to know.”

“There was a minute left and I wasn’t thinking-”

“Don’t give me the lawyer answer Sidney.” She pleaded. “Look, right now, just you and me, I need the truth.” He looked at her for a long time, letting out a long sigh. Finally he just spoke three, quiet words.

“I don’t know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Will Annie forgive Sidney?
Or is his answer not good enough for her?
Thanks for reading!

oxoxoxox
Ashlee