Status: moved here from quizilla.

Bella

nine: acel

“Who’s that girl?” I looked over to Emory, who’d laid her book down on the coffee table, narrowing her eyes. “You heard me. Who is she?”

I scoffed. “I’m pretty sure she introduced herself. That’s usually the only way people get past you,” I said. “Would you mind lending me a cig? I need one right about now.”

She dug in her pocket and pulled one out. “Think fast.” She threw it at me, not at all surprised when I caught it. I grabbed the blue lighter off of the coffee table and lit the cigarette. “Now, tell me. This Bella girl—who is she to you?”

I took a drag, slow and long, before exhaling smoke through my lips, ghostly rings hanging in the air. “Why must you ask so many questions? She’s a friend.” Emory laughed, to the point where she snorted. “What?”

She held up a finger as a signal to wait. “You and I both know that you, Acel Sykes, don’t just have ‘friends.’ Is she a friend with benefits? And if she is, you could have picked someone who was a little more…perky and prettier. Bella is quite…dull and average.”

“She’s not a friend ‘with benefits.’ She’s just a friend, okay? God, you annoy me sometimes.” I shook my head and lay back on the couch, watching the smoke swirl and cloud above my head with each drag and exhale.

“Isn’t that what big sisters are for?” Emory laughed again, picking up her book and sticking her nose back in it. “Now fuck off and go somewhere else; you’re interrupting me.” The two of us sat in silence, before Emory talked. “Our dad called when you were upstairs with Bella. He’s engaged.”

I coughed and sat up, narrowing my eyes. “He’s engaged with whom?”

“He wants us to be in the wedding. He didn’t say the name of the girl, but most likely she’s close to my age—yuck. Our dad also told me that he’d be sending the money for us to buy our attire. You seem thrilled about this news. Oh, I almost forgot. The wedding is in two weeks.”

“She’s probably one of those whores he picked up off the street,” I retorted.

Emory laughed lightly, as if she doesn’t laugh every second of her life. I get the impression that she’s high majority of the time. “Be nice about the situation. At least he isn’t sending us to camp like he did last fall. And you never know, Acel, his fourth wife could be a decent whore.”

“Let’s hope so,” I said. “I’m going to go bake some cookies.”

“Oh, baby, you’re so hardcore,” Emory kidded. “Make some extras for me, would you? Preferably chocolate chip cookies or perhaps snicker doodle.”

I snorted and stood up, wedging the cig behind my ear. “Or maybe I’ll make lemon cookies, since that’s my favorite. I’m so manly, babe, aren’t I?” I winked at Emory playfully and ventured off into the kitchen.



I licked my lips and sighed, ringing the doorbell with my freehand. Less than ten seconds later, the door opened and a woman that looked like an older version of Bella stood there. “Hello, I’ve seen you here before. You’re here for Bella, correct?”

I smiled softly at the woman. “I’m Acel. I take it that you’re her beautiful mother. And no, I’m not just her for Bella. I brought lemon cookies for all of you. There should actually be more than enough for you all.”

“Thank you. You can call me Tyler. Would you like me to just take the cookies or would you like to come inside?” She asked. I shrugged. Tyler moved to the side and smiled. “You can come in if you’d like to, Acel. Make yourself at home.”

I thanked her wordlessly and stepped inside. I hadn’t really got a chance to observe Bella’s house before. It was warmly and homely, the walls painted with warm fall colors. A man came around the corner and eyed me. “You are?”

“Acel Sykes. I live across the street from you. I just thought it’d be a nice gesture to bring you guys some homemade cookies. Your daughter has been a great friend to me,” I said.

Tyler went over to her husband and whispered something in his ear. She then giggled lightly and went up the stairs, leaving me with Bella’s dad. “You promise there’s no weed in those brownies?” I shook my head; I couldn’t tell he was joking or not. “Good. Call me Gunner. Bella should be down soon. Until then, go put those in the kitchen. It’s right past the dining room.”