Status: moved here from quizilla.

Bella

ten

I frowned at the plate of lobster that set directly in front of me. I knew my parents were expecting me to eat, especially since we had company. I picked up my fork and sighed, forking the salad and sticking it in my mouth. My stomach seemed semi-satisfied as the bit of salad traveled to my stomach. I grabbed a napkin from the middle of the table, not once looking up to see Acel’s face, and put it beside my plate, using my fork to push the lobster onto the napkin.

“Bella, honey, you haven’t even touched your lobster. Do you not want it?” I looked up from my salad, which was nearly gone, and shook my head. “Well, at least you’ve eaten some. Do you want more salad?” I shook my head again. “Suit yourself.”

“Tyler, don’t push her. You’ve already said it; at least she’s eating,” Dad remarked. “Now, tell me, Acel, how’ve you liked your time here in Ramsay?”

I looked up at Acel and he met my gaze, not looking away once while he answered Dad’s question. “I think it’s absolutely beautiful—the scenery and the people I’ve met. I plan on getting a job sometime soon and then getting up out of here. I lived in Landon before and—”

“Stop,” I cut him off. I didn’t want to hear anything about Landon. Landon was the place where Stacy died, where she drowned, and where she was supposed to be having an awesome vacation at. Landon was like my Hell and I’d never even been there before. I cleared my throat and looked away from Acel, pushing my plate up. “I think that we should just move onto dessert and call it a night.”

Mom laughed lightly and set her fork down, as well. “Why so sudden, dear? There’s no need to rush.”

“You don’t get it, but I don’t really want to talk about this at the moment. Can we please just skip to dessert? I’m quite ready to go to bed, but I feel it’ll be rude to do so, as we have a guest who just so happens to be my friend. So, can we please?” I begged.

“Sure. I’ll get the cookies out of the microwave. And again, thank you, Acel, for bringing them over.” Dad pushed his chair back outward and stood up, collecting empty plates with him. I sat, silently, and waited. I forgot the fact that my parents just thought that Stacy and her family were away on vacation, and weren’t at all aware of the fact that my best friend was dead; I never told them.

Dad came back shortly and set the plate in the middle of the table, straightening his shirt out with his hands, sitting back down. I stood up and reached over to grab a cookie, feeling my fingers brush someone else’s as I did so. I looked up, my eyes meeting with an emerald pair—Acel’s. I pressed my lips together and grabbed a cookie before sitting back down.

I devoured the cookie in less than five bites. “It’s time for you to go home, Acel. How about I walk you to the door?” I offered. I scooted my chair back and stood up, watching Acel do the same. I exited the dining room and made my way to the front door. The entrance of the house was dark, but somehow I made out Acel’s slim figure in the dimness. “Your presence here is unexpected.”

“I wanted to see you,” he said, his voice low.

“And yet you tell me to stay away from you. I don’t get it.” I folded my arms across my chest. “You’re giving me mixed signals. First you tell me to stay away from you, and then you kiss me, and then you’re here in my house. What is it that you’re trying to tell me? Are you trying to convince me to stay away from you or are you trying to convince yourself to stay away from me?”

“I’m pretty sure it’s the second one.” I groaned. “Look, it’s not my fault that you’re so alluring and captivating. It’s not my fault that you’re so absolutely stunning. Have you seen yourself, Bella?”

I scoffed. “Of course I’ve seen myself. There’s this thing called a mirror and I look at it roughly every day. And that’s still not an excuse for your behavior. If you’re just going to use me in the end, go ahead and do it now. There’s no use in waiting just to be—” I stopped talking at the sound of laughter. “You cannot be serious. The fact that you’re laughing in my face is just—”

“I’m laughing because you’re cute. Stop rambling.” My cheeks flushed and I was thankful for the darkness. I froze in place at the feeling of Acel’s lips on my cheek. “I’m going to go home now. I feel as if I have over-welcomed my stay.”