Status: moved here from quizilla.

Bella

twenty-four

I twisted the fabric in my hands, pulling the t-shirt over my torso. I dressed myself for nothing but the satisfactory of getting dressed. I eyed my fingernails, in which I’d painted a cerulean blue, thinking about how I’d love to caress Acel’s face with them. As if on cue, my phone rang and Emory’s name appeared on the screen.

Hesitant for a second, I answered. “Would you like to go get some coffee with me before I leave for work?” Emory asked. I hummed in response like I always did. “Great! Meet me outside, would you?” The dial tone came next. I took a seat on the edge of my bed, wedging my feet into a pair of black flats.

She was waiting for me outside, clad in an oversized sweatshirt and a pair of leggings. “How’s Acel?” I inquired, attempting to start a conversation.

Emory snorted at me, laughing like she always did. “He’s a wreck like he has been for the past two weeks. Who knew that one girl could break him that bad? I just—I had to talk to someone rather than him. He’s been so depressing lately and it’s scaring me.” I nodded my head, though I felt like I should’ve apologized.

Instead of taking Emory and Acel’s SUV like I thought we would have, Emory insisted on walking, as it was supposedly good cardio exercise. We made small talk on the way to Starbucks, chatting about the weather, the birds, and the god-awful heat. I didn’t do much of the talking, though; I had no clue what to say.

I kept hearing my name being called, but I deemed it as a voice in my head. “Dammit, Bella, would you look at me?” Emory snapped. “Have you even been listening to a word that I’ve been saying?”

“I’m sorry. What did you say?” But I knew that she was already annoyed with me and that she wasn’t planning on repeating herself. Emory placed her lips around the rip of her cup, taking a sip of her coffee. Her green irises were narrowed at me in exasperation.

Her eyes slid down to the watch buckled around her wrist. “I have to be at work in exactly a half hour. Let’s go.”



I began walking down the Sykes’ driveway in attempt to get back across the street. “Bella, Bella, Bella, Bella, Bella, wait!” I turned around back around to see Emory with a horrified expression plastered onto her face. “I need you to go and care for Acel.”

I licked my chapped lips. “Why? What’s wrong?”

“I don’t have time to explain. I’m going to be late for work. Please, Bella, just go inside and see for yourself. He’s in his room.” Before Emory could get to the point of pleading where she was on her knees, I nodded. She thanked me and I let myself inside of the house.

It was dim and quiet, nonetheless messy. It was the messiest I’d ever seen their home; couch cushions were scattered across the living room floor, broken glass disarrayed. I guess it was just a reflection of how he’d been lately.

I made my way up their staircase, careful not to step on the second to last step, as it squeaked. I was hesitant as I walked through the second story of their home. I didn’t know what state Acel was in besides the little details that Emory had given me earlier before I managed to piss her off. I placed my palm on the frame of Acel’s doorway. I peered into his room, yet I couldn’t see hm. “Acel,” I whispered.

“Da,” called a weak voice. I slipped my shoes off, leaving them by his bedroom door, before walking across the carpet. I caught eye of him sitting on his bed, a bottle of Jack Daniel’s in his hand. His eyes were bloodshot and his hair was tousled, though I’d never admit that I preferred it that way. “Oh, it’s you…”

I nodded, frowning. “What have you been doing to yourself?” I walked toward him with the burning urge to wrap my arms around him and comfort him. Acel tilted his head back, craning his neck as he took a swig of the alcohol. I lowered my voice to a whisper. “Why?”

His Adam’s apple bobbed prominently as he swallowed. He closed his eyes and exhaled. “I’ve found an alternative to you, my love. Jack Daniel’s and marijuana makes the perfect combination. Only, I’m all out of pot.” Acel opened his eyes, reaching for my wrist. “You look lovely, thought, like always.”

“I’m not so sure if I’m comfortable taking compliments from you when you’re not even sober.” I grabbed his pale wrist—of course, the one that wasn’t clutching the alcohol tightly—and placed his open palm on my cheek. I closed my eyes, sighing. “You’re damaged goods.”

“What makes you think that I’m not sober if I can speak grammatically?” I fluttered my eyes open, peering into his. “And yes, I’ll agree that I’m damaged. I’m trying, Bella, I promise you that I’m trying hard.” I shook my head, uncurling my fingers from his wrist. I watched as he laid the bottle down on his bed, not before putting the lid back on, and brought his other hand to my face. “I miss you.”

I nodded, using my palms to push me onto his bed, atop of him. I felt the corners of my lips tugging and stretching into a small smile. I placed my legs on either side of his waist, digging my knees into his sheets. My hair, practically white and wind-swept, cascaded over my shoulders. “Well, that makes two of us doesn’t it?”

Acel dropped his hands down to my shoulders, chuckling lightly. He rolled us over and smiled down at me, giving me time to notice that he had, in fact, acquired more cuts along his torso. I didn’t comment on them, though. “Can we just pretend that we’re together for an hour or two?” He lowered himself onto me, lying on half of my body. Acel entwined our legs and held me in his arms.

With a relieved sigh, I snuggled closer into his chest. “We should sleep,” I suggested. “Right here, in your bed, together.”

“I love you,” he murmured, closing his eyelids. We were diluted, steady breathing, and disheveled.

“I know.”