Status: moved here from quizilla.

Bella

two

It was dinner time and I regretted being there. Mom had made hot wings for us all with celery and ranch dip on the side. It was quite a horrifying sight to watch Dad and Ranger eat and I could tell that Mom was regretting this decision.

“Gunner and Ranger, eat like you’re homo-sapiens and not some stray dog who hasn’t had a meal in two weeks,” Mom scolded. I laughed lightly. “Gunner, you’re not a fucking animal. You’re making me lose my appetite.”

Dad set the chicken down on the plate and picked his napkin up, wiping his face. “Language, dear,” he said, quite calmly. “And no one said you had to watch me eat.” He then proceeded to eat the celery that he’d laid on a separate plate.

Half of the food on my plate was uneaten, except for the celery that I’d scarfed down and the few baby bites I’d left on my chicken. “I think I’m just going to excuse myself from the table. I—I can’t eat like this. Especially with the way that Ranger is. Thanks for dinner, Mom. Thanks, guys, for ruining mine.” I pushed my plate forward and scooted my chair back.

I walked into the living room, the floor changing from tile to carpet. I opened the front door midway, but paused. “I’ll be outside if you need me,” I called out. I stepped out onto the ‘welcome’ mat and closed the door behind me gently. The house across the street that had been vacant for about two years was finally obtaining occupants.

A Fed-X truck sat just outside the home, on the curb. I sat down on the porch step, curiously watching. Less than five minutes later, a sleek SUV pulled into the driveway. When the car fully stopped, two specimens exited the vehicle; a short, petite brunette woman and a rather tall brunette male. Together, they began unloading the Fed-X truck together, continuously large furniture into the beige house. I’d taken a liking in the way the male figure moved; gracefully and gradual. But he wasn’t mine to like.

I pressed my lips together in a thin line and I sighed, standing up and walking into the house. “We’ve got neighbors,” I announced, shutting the door. I walked past the living room, where everyone is watching some movie, and went up the stairs and into my room.

I flicked my light on and grabbed the lighter off of my dresser. I sat on the ground in front of the pile of old photos, mostly ones of me and Jason, the others of friends who were no longer friends of mine. I picked up a random image and lit it on fire, watching the edge of this picture furl and whither and burn into nothing but black dust.

It was nice to Jason’s face being the hideous one for once, rather than it being mine. I laughed humorlessly at myself and my pitiful thoughts. Jason’s face was still beautiful, no matter how many photos of him and I that I burned. My mother used to love him so, used to say that him and I were the perfect couple. But she didn’t know the truth behind him and she didn’t need to.

My phone rang beside me and Stacy’s name showed up on the caller ID. I took a break from burning majority of my memories and answered the phone. “Hello?”

“I’m outside of your house. I’ve ringed the doorbell almost three times and still no answer. What the hell are you doing? All I see is fire through your window,” she explained, practically yelling at me. “Are you trying to burn your house down? Also, dude, you’ve got this super cute new neighbor.”

I laughed lightly. “I know. I saw him earlier. Hold on, Stacy. I’ll be down to get the door shortly.”