Status: Hiatus, sorry.

We’ll Be Young Forever

Five.

Summer was just around the corner again and being seven and ten years old respectively; neither Kellin or Vic were spending their summer in California with their families. Both boys were sent on a summer camp instead since Kellin’s parents thought it would be a good idea for him to open up to other children.

Nothing had changed. If anything things had gotten worse at school. It’s not like children picked on Kellin but he shut everyone out and he had suffered a couple of panic attacks. People terrified him and he felt like everyone was observing and judging him. Of course he never told his parents that because he had no reason to feel that way. There were worse problems out there than his anyway.

He thought about how his sister had insisted on going to the camp too, but it was just for boys so she wasn’t allowed and went to California instead. He really didn’t want to go but the little thing that helped him cope with being so far away from home and his family was that his best friend was going to be there too. It must help somehow, right?

Estes Park, Colorado was the place their parents were sending them to. Not that either of them minded. In fact, Kellin had seen pamphlets his parents had showed him and he tried to describe the place to Vic over the phone since his own parents were the ones who signed both boys up.

Sighing, the slightly taller blue eyed boy looked out the window to the passing scenery right before his eyes, taking in every single tall tree and the road curves. He lived in a big city so it wasn’t often he went to the forest or got the chance to breathe clean air without all the pollution the cars caused.

He didn’t know when he had drifted off to sleep but it was when his mom shook him awake that he realized they were at the camp. Looking warily outside to kids saying goodbye to their parents and carrying their bags, he really didn’t want to get out of the car. But he had no other choice and Vic was going to be there anyway.

Sighing, he unlocked the door and stepped out, following his dad to the trunk to get his luggage out. Once they were both done, Kellin went next to his mom who looked down at him and hugged him close to her body, Kellin’s arms instantly wrapping around her waist.

“Please don’t leave me.” The blue eyed boy whimpered against his mother’s stomach, who was rubbing soothing circles on his back hoping his crying would die down, but there was no avail.

“No, don’t cry honey.” Lisa whispered, pulling the small boy back and tilted his chin up. She was met by a couple of turquoise eyes staring right at hers while tears were shed in a rapid pace, bottom lip quivering slightly. Smiling sadly, the woman wiped the remaining tears from the boy’s cheekbones with the pad of her thumb. “I promise everything will be okay.”

Nodding, the little boy bit on his lip to stop himself from crying but still, without his will, a couple more tears escaped his eyes. Sniffing, Kellin turned to his dad who looked at him frowning slightly but patted his back in what was meant to be a comforting way.

“Kels!” He heard his best friend’s voice call from somewhere behind him and sure enough, when he turned around he was met by those familiar caramel brown eyes and white perfect smile. Perfect as it could be for a ten year old, that is.

“Hi, Vic.” The youngest waved awkwardly while wiping the remaining tears from his eyes. The mexican frowned when realizing the state his best friend was in and stepped closer, holding Kellin’s arms and rubbing them up and down.

“What’s wrong?” Vic asked looking straight into his best friend’s blue eyes. The youngest looked down not willing to meet his best friend’s eyes. He didn’t want to look like a baby in front of him, he was a grown up boy now and grow up boys didn’t cry when their parents left.

“Well… boys.” Kellin’s dad cleared his throat, catching everyone’s attention. “We should keep going now.” He said ruffling his first born’s hair and holding Lisa’s waist.

“Please tell Kailey I’ll miss her.” The blue eyed said finally looking up at his mom who smiled sadly at him.

“Will do.” She said kissing Kellin’s blond hair and caressing his neck, then turned to Vic. “Please take care of him.”

The Fuentes smiled and brought Kellin to his side, hugging him by the shoulders protectively. “Will do.” He smiled at the couple who were backing away to the car.

And with one last wave from Kellin’s mom, both of them were on their way, leaving the pale boy standing in middle of camp surrounded by kids he didn’t know and although he had Vic by his side, he couldn’t help but feel abandoned.

“Come on, Kels.” Vic said tugging on his best friend’s hand. “Let’s get settled.”

Nodding, Kellin let go of the mexican’s hand and trailed behind him carrying his bag through the camp. He looked around and noticed how the place was in middle of the forest, small and big cabins placed here and there. Kids were running around trying to find their accommodation places by going to adults he assumed were counselors. They were all wearing a red snapback while their eyes scanned the clipboard on their hands looking for names.

“Hi, my name’s Betty.” A slightly tall girl with long brown hair and green eyes chirped down at both boys. Kellin didn’t like the girl right away which is why he hid behind Vic, looking at the stranger warely. “Can I help you with something?”

“Uh, yeah. We were actually looking for our cabins?” Vic answered back with a hint of confidence in his voice.

“Oh, alright.” She said looking at the blue eyed boy, who was still hiding behind his best friend’s back rather than the mexican. “Names and ages?” She asked flipping through the pages she was carrying around.

“Victor Fuentes, 10 and Kellin Quinn Bostwick, 7.” Vic answered, looking back at his friend who smiled at him sheepishly, causing the mexican to chuckle and ruffle his best friend’s hair again.

“Oh, I found you.” The girl said cheerily while writing down something on the piece of paper. "Victor, you're gonna be in cabin ten." She said looking at the older boy, switching her stare then to the blue eyed boy hiding. "Kellin, you're gonna be in cabin seven."

"Wait, what?" Vic asked confused. He frowned at the idea of leaving his best friend alone somewhere he didn't know. He knew how worked up Kellin would get and besides, he had promised Lisa he'd look after her boy.

"You're separated to be with children your age. Didn't you know?" The girl asked with an apologetic look on her face.

"Isn't there something we can do about it?" The mexican asked, taking his best friend's hand on his own and squeezing slightly, trying to comfort the youngest.

"No, I'm sorry." Betty answered before being interrupted by a couple of children who seemed just as lost as Vic and Kellin looked minutes ago. "Yeah, how can I help you?"

"Uh, we're looking for our cabins." The blond of them answered. There was a redhead looking at Kellin quite curiously, standing next to the blond boy, who was significantly shorter than Kellin and that was saying a lot since he was a petite infant. Both carrying backpacks way bigger than their bodies.

"What are your names?" Betty asked suddenly, breaking the atmosphere.

The redhead answered this time, his gaze shifting from Kellin to the girl. "Jesse and Justin, we're both seven."

The girl nodded and went to look for their names, then her eyebrows jumped up on surprise. "You're sharing cabin seven with Kellin here." She said motioning to the slightly trembling boy.

Vic stood his ground protectively, looking at the children standing in front of him and trying to find a bad vibe out of them but he didn't so he stood away from Kellin, who looked at him desperately but got in return a reassuring smile.

"That's awesome!" The shorter of them walked Kellin's way and stood in front of him smiling brightly. "I'm Justin."

And the redhead didn't waste time on walking next to his friend. "I'm Jesse."

"Hi." The blue eyed boy answered with trembling voice and smiled lightly, trying not to come off as rude. "I'm Kellin." His eyes met Vic and he relaxed a bit more, a little wave of confidence washing over his body. "And this is my best friend, Vic." He motioned towards the mexican, who had been watching the scene unfold right in front of him.

"Hi." The mexican answered with a small wave, getting a couple of nods his way. "So, I guess I'll go find my cabin." He stepped forward and grabbed his luggage, then stood by Kellin. "I'll take it you'll be alright?" The oldest asked looking into his best friend's frightened eyes, who nodded weakly and he could've sworn he saw them glistening more than usual but that was his imagination. Kellin was a strong kid and he'd get over anything thrown his way. "Alright, see you around then."

With that being said, he followed an arrow pointing to the far north where they had came from and away from the pale boy who stood rooted on his place watching his friend disappear among the foliage. It was only when someone cleared his throat that he jumped and turned where the other boys were standing. Both of them looking at him sympathetically.

"Uh, let's go find our thing." Justin said breaking the awkward staring contest. Both boys instantly nodded and followed him suit after reading an arrow with the number seven pointing the total opposite direction where Vic had gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really sorry I haven't been updating and I'm really fucking sorry this is short af. Promise I'll make next chapter longer and cuter but I've gone into writer's block on this story. I swear I'm trying to get back and write as many cute as I can though. University is just real hard, cry.
Thank you all for your comments/subscriptions/recommendations because they mean the world to me.
Meanwhile please read Don't You Worry About The Distance, I write Kellin's POV (: