The Brink of Destruction

And Now the Magic Begins

He didn't answer right away. The teasing in his eyes was gone now, and in its place was a raw, smoldering hunger. Lying on top of him had felt innocent and playful only a moment ago, but now every nerve, every fiber, every cell was alive with the intimacy between us, making me feel naked and exposed.

"You know that's a dangerous question, don't you?" His voice left little doubt what he meant. I felt his powerful grip on the small of my back, holding me tight against him and his chest rose and fell quickly.

"It's only dangerous when you don't want it to happen," I said, feeling the need for him uncurl like a waking cat inside me. "Wishes are for things you want from the bottom of your heart."

"You need to be sure, Gen. I mean, really sure. Because if we go any further, I can't promise you I'll be able to stop. Not tonight, not the way I feel right now." His voice was low and powerful, and made my knees weak.

"Asking you to stop is the farthest thing from my mind," I breathed against the cup of his ear, caressing it with my lips. His eyes drifted closed, and his head fell slowly back as he moaned his pleasure. I loved the way his voice vibrated against my cheek, deep and sensuous, and a sigh escaped my throat in response.

Outside, the thunder rumbled ominously, and the sky was ripped by jagged lightning. The hiss of the rain sounded like a million glass beads pouring down onto the pavement. It was as though we were cut off from the rest of the world, alone in some wild, dark place where our drumming hearts were fiercer than anything that hid in the shadows. The scent of him, beer and smoke and sweat, mingling with the traces of cinnamon gum and apple shampoo, struck some primal nerve in me, made me feel like someone I didn't recognize.

His thumbs brushed the bottom of my ribs, slid upwards, toyed with the spangled band that circled my chest. One practiced flick of his wrist, and it fell loose, the thin straps sliding on my shoulders. His fingers hooked lazily under them, slipping them down my arms, his nails leaving a trail of goose bumps as he smiled up at me.

Cradling my shoulders, he lifted me up so that I was sitting astride him. I made no move to cover myself, watching his eyes as they roamed over my body. Strange, how I didn't mind that he could see the soft tightening as the cool air whispered across my flesh, stirring it to life.

"Fuck, I've been waiting a long time to see those again!" he grinned. "Hello, girls!"

"They've been looking forward to meeting you, you know. You weren't properly introduced last time," I giggled. "Billie Joe, meet Thelma and Louise."

Never in my life would I have thought I could be relaxed enough to laugh when I was on the verge of losing my virginity, but with him, it was...easy. Like I'd known him forever, and this was nothing new for us. Of course, in my mind, it had happened many times, but I just expected to be more anxious.

I shifted my hips slightly, and Billie groaned at the friction it created. His hands were gliding up my thighs, across my belly, and coming to rest on my waist. Then in one smooth movement, he rolled me over onto the pillow, his body covering mine. He bent his head to trace the curve of my ribs with his lips, nipping gently at the skin until he reached the firm swell of my breasts. His eyes never left mine as he lowered his mouth, and when he began to swirl his tongue around the pebble-hard skin, sucking and biting softly, I tangled my fingers through his curly hair, crying out his name helplessly. He closed his eyes now, hips bucking against mine as his throat rumbled with a muffled groan.

"Your skin tastes like vanilla," he sighed. "You're like a birthday cake."

"You're just hungry," I teased.

"No, I just want to devour you," he growled, scooting up to kiss my temples, his knee sliding between mine.

"Your belt buckle's cold," I whispered. My nails raked across his back as I pulled the white shirt over his head and tossed it aside. I slid my hands between our bodies, slick with sweat, and undid his belt and jeans, sliding them over the sweet curve of his butt. He kicked them aside impatiently and unsnapped the waistband of my harem pants.

"The whole time we were playing, I was thinking about you wearing nothing but those gold chains," he said, his hot breath burning against my neck. He fastened his lips on the tender skin at the base of my throat, and even though I knew I'd be wearing the mark of his passion tomorrow, it felt so good I didn't care.

His hands slipped beneath the thin fabric and slid it down my legs, caressing the skin of my thighs, the backs of my knees, the line of my shins. Then he was working his way back up, higher and higher, until I gasped and my thighs tightened on his hand, almost against my will.

"Are you scared?" he asked, pulling his hand away to trace little feathery circles on my hip. "Don't be afraid of me, Gen. I want you so bad it's killing me, but I promise I won't hurt you."

"I'm not scared, just...a little nervous,I guess. First time jitters," I laughed awkwardly.

His kiss on my shoulder was as tender as any he'd ever given me. "And I'm going too fast. Dammit, I swore I wouldn't rush you. I want this to be perfect."

"No, it's not you. It just hit me that this is really happening, after we've waited so long."

He smiled and pulled me close to him, his strong arms folding warm and tight around me. "Just tell me what you want, Genny. I'll make it special for you, just like you deserve."

"Don't get all mushy on me, Armstrong," I teased. "Just get over here and show me what I've been missing all this time."

He was laughing his ass off as he pounced on me.

*******************************

"Billie?"

Knock, knock.

"Hey, Billie, you awake?" Mike's deep voice drifted through the closed door.

My eyes drifted open, and shut quickly again, scorched by the morning sun. Billie was still sound asleep, so I got up and slipped quietly into my panties and his white tee shirt. A little sheepishly, I cracked open the door just enough to see a pair of twinkling blue eyes.

"Morning," I said thickly, smiling in spite of myself.

"Morning yourself!" he grinned. "I thought I might find you here."

"Oh did you?" I said. "What, you're a detective now?"

He ignored the comment. "You kinda disappeared last night, and when that clusterfuck--" he nodded toward his friend, "turned up missing, too....well, it wasn't too hard to figure out."

In my mind, I was reliving the previous night, trying to remember just how much noise we might have made. But it was Mike we were talking about, and I'm sure it wasn't the first time he'd seen--or heard--things he had to politely ignore. Still, it made me squirm just a little, seeing the "I know what you did" grin on his face.

"So were you here to do a head count, or was there something you needed?" I teased, noticing that he looked a little worse for wear, too.

"There was a phone call for Billie a few minutes ago from Bat's. I told them he was in the shower and he'd call them back."

Glancing at Billie's unconscious body, curled up and drooling slightly, I had to laugh. "Either he's going to need some coffee, or they're going to think he takes the longest shower ever!"

Nothing surprised Mike. "I'm way ahead of you--coffee's already made. I have to have it to get my heart started in the morning. So you'll let him know?"

"Yeah, I'll see if I can bring him back to life," I promised.

Mike reached through the door and patted my shoulder. "Looks to me like you've already done that," he said kindly, and winked at me before he pulled the door quietly shut.

What a great guy he is...

Kneeling on the bed beside Billie, I stroked his blond curls softly. His dark roots were starting to grow in, and I wondered what he would look like if he let it go natural. His lips sagged in a soft sleep pout, and he looked so young and innocent, his hand tucked under his head.

"Wake up, sleepyhead," I whispered, rubbing his back lightly. He sighed, but didn't move or open his eyes. "Hey, baby, time to wake up."

His eyelids fluttered, and for a moment, he looked confused. Then as he gazed up at me, the fog seemed to clear and he was focusing more clearly.

"Oh, wow, I had the most amazing dream," he slurred.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it was about you. I dreamed you were a--like, some kind of fairy or something, I guess. Anyway, you were dancing in the woods with all these little kids, and when I saw you, I thought you were the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen."

I was pretty sure my cheeks were turning pink. "You're sweet, do you know that?"

"Yeah, I'm just a big ol' cream puff," he mumbled. Then his brows wrinkled.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well, I remember dreaming that I was standing there watching you, but when you saw me, you got scared and flew away, and the children started crying and running after you." He looked away from me, staring at the ceiling. "It was like I was a monster or something."
I was surprised--even though it was only a dream, he sounded as though it had really bothered him. His eyes looked almost wounded as he turned back to me.

"Billie, it was probably just your macho side coming out, even in your sleep. Maybe the idea of little kids and fairies was too cute for a toughie like you."

He nodded, shaking the last wisps of sleep away. "Yeah, that must be it. But now, that fairy thing, I can handle that," he chuckled, pulling me down onto his chest. His kiss melted me all over again, and I thought how nice it would be to wake up beside him all the time.

"Before you get all worked up, stud muffin, there was a phone call for you earlier. Mike said it was from Bat's. He told them you'd call them back."

"Wonder what they want? I'm not supposed to work today, but maybe somebody called in sick. I was thinking I'd like to take the money over there to pay him back anyway."

"I think that would be great--if he'll accept it. He really loves you, Billie. You should have seen how mad he got when we told him what had happened. He was ready to go over there and kick Jordan's ass."

He shook his head, smiling. "You know, he's been like a dad to me ever since I started working with him. I'm not sure why, but he seemed to kind of take to me right away, and we've been like family."

"Well, let's get moving and go over there. He'll really be glad to see you."

When Mike knocked again, I jumped.

"Billie, phone for you again. It's Angelina at Bat's. Sorry to interrupt you."

I opened the door again, and he passed the phone through to me, mouthing again, "I'm sorry."

I smiled at him. "No problem," I mimed.

Billie took the phone, still sprawling under the blankets. "H'lo? Yeah, no problem, I was just waking up." He winked mischievously at me. "Uh huh. No, I haven't talked to him in a couple of days. Why?"

The smile was slowly fading, giving way to concern.

"Has he called you this morning? Oh, last night? No, I just know he's usually up pretty early. Yeah, I was planning on coming by the restaurant later 'cos I have something for him, but I'll drop by his house and check to see how he's doing. Sure, no problem at all. You, too. 'Bye."

He thumbed the phone off, his eyes distant. "Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I think so, but I'm gonna drop by Bat's house. He went home early last night and said he wasn't feeling too well. Angelina wanted to know if I could make sure he had everything he needed."

"Do you need any help?" I offered. "I don't have much homework, just a bibliography, and it won't take long."

"That would be great," he nodded. "I think he'd love seeing you. Don't tell him I said so, but I think the old guy's got a crush on you!"

Laughing, we caught each other in one last long embrace before we left the nest of blankets. As I fell onto the pillow, he looked into my eyes, through them, into my heart.

"Billie," I sighed, "I want to thank you for making last night the most beautiful, special night I've ever had. You were sweet, and gentle, and everything I'd ever imagined. I'll remember this as long as I live."

His eyes were sparkling green, shining and happy. "Me too, Genny. You'll never know how happy you make me. I'm the one who needs to thank you for the most amazing honor you could ever have given me. And I promise I'll try my best never to make you regret it."

"No chance," I said, hugging him tightly. His arms folded around me, and it felt perfect. "You're all I'll ever need."