Status: Complete | Finished <3

Southern Love

Friendship As A Gift

''Are you sure you guys want to go?'' I asked the boys noticing they weren't very enthusiastic about visiting the city. ''You don't seem to be okay with it...''

​''Well, actually, we would prefer going surfing.'' Mike replied. ''We agreed to make you happy because you seemed very happy about going downtowon.'' Jaime and Tony nodded to show they were sharing Mike's opinion.

​''Well, it's okay.'' I said. But I still wanted to go on that bus since there would be many other opportunities to go surfing. ''Do you guys mind if I go? We could join when I come back and eat together?''

​''Sure Vic, go.'' Tony answered. ''It's your vacation as well and we want you to have as much fun as possible. But tomorrow, you're stuck with us because we will miss you Vicky.''

​''Don't ever call me Vicky again, never.'' I said. ''Only Jenna used that nickname, and there is no way somebody else is going to use it.''

​''Oh, sorry Vic, I-I didn't know..'' Tony apologized timidly. I hate it when I suddenly get angry. Everything I want to say goes wrong.

​''Don't worry Tony, I'm not mad.'' I reassured him.''Alright, well the bus is leaving in 15 minutes, so I'm going to pick up my backpack in my room and catch the bus. I'll see you later, you guys have a nice time surfing.''

​''Thanks Vic, take tons of pictures for us.'' Jaime said. ''We want to see them when you come back from your incredible adventure in the city.''

​''Perfect, see you later.'' I replied as I walked to my room.

​​​​​As soon as I entered it, I grabbed the few things I wanted to bring with me : sunglasses, camera, water bottle and a cap. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​As I was about to get out of my room, my eyes met with the piece of paper Kellin left under my door earlier this morning. I read it again and I smiled. I would be lying if I said my first goal about getting on that bus was to visit the city. I guess I just wanted to spend some time with my valet and get to know him better. I put the note in my backpack and was ready to go. When I got to the bus, it was already loaded.

​''We were only waiting for you guys to show up, wait, where are your friends?'' Kellin wondered.

​''Well, they are not coming.'' I replied. ''They really wanted to go surfing so they told me to go by myself and to join them when I come back. The thing is, I just look like someone who will seat by himself because he doesn't have any friends.''

​''You can seat next to me, if you want to.'' Kellin proposed. ''I won't be that much of a talker since I have to explain our dear friends in the bus what they are looking at. But we can talk when we can get out of the bus, well if you want to talk to me, it's just a proposition.'' I saw he was a bit stressed and I thought it was totally cute.

​''I would like that.'' I accepted. ''Well since nobody else is coming, let's go.''

​Kellin and I got in the bus and sat in the first bench. Kellin greeted everyone and explained the main points of the tour : it would last around 3 hours and we would make one big hour and a half stop so people could go shopping and take pictures of whatever they want. The first hour and a half was quite interesting. We got the chance to see beauties of the town and get to know who they got there with Kellin's explanation. The driver parked the bus in a big parking lot and opened the door.

​''Okay, you guys are free for one hour and a half.'' Kellin spoke. ''We will meet here at 3. Don't be late and never stay by yourself. Be at least with another person during the whole​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ visit. Have a great time. Remember 3pm.''

​Everyone stood up quickly and got out of the bus going in different directions. There were only Kellin, the driver and I left in the bus.

​''Are you staying here or do you want to come with us?'' Kellin asked the bus driver.

​''Go, I'll just take a nice nap here.'' The driver answered. ''Have a great time. Oh Kellin, why don't you show they guy that beautiful spot you showed me the other time?''

​''That's a good idea.'' Kellin replied. ''Alright, Vic, let's go.''​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ I stood up and followed him outside.

​''Where are you taking me?'' I asked.

​''That's a surprise!'' He answered. ''It's only 10 minutes from here and it's worth the walk. Let's go.''

​Kellin and I walked side by side on the sidewalk. I took some pictures of the buildings around, it is really beautiful. It's nothing like San Diego.

​''So, do you enjoy yourself here so far?'' Kellin asked.

​''Yeah, it's only been a day and I really like it.'' I answered. ''You are very lucky to live and work here.''

​''Well, you know, it gets kind of boring after a certain time.'' He replied. ''The only thing that I will never get enough of his the sunsets and watching the stars at night. It's beautiful and breathless.''

​''I can imagine.'' I respond. ''Are we there yet?''

​''Like 2 minutes.'' Kellin said laughing. ''Are you some of those lazy guys?''

​''I don't what you're talking about..'' I joked. Everybody knows that I'm the laziest guy ever. I would rather wait 10 minutes for a bus for only one stop and walk. Yeah, I know; I'm horrible.

​''So, eum, you got my note this morining?'' Kellin wondered timidly.

​''Yeah, I did.'' I replied. ''It really made me smile, thanks again. I can't believe you gave me some of your time, mostly at 2 in the morning.''

​''You're welcome.'' He said. ''Helping people makes me feel better actually. Sometimes I wish some people would have done the same with my sister...''

​''What happened to her?'' I asked.

​''Eum, she killed herself last summer.'' Kellin replied. ''She was bullied a lot, and nobody ever did anything for her. I wish we went at the same school, I could have saved her. She-She would sill be alive...''

​Kellin couldn't finish his sentence because he started crying. My first reflex was to hug him. At first, he seemed tensed but it didn't take long before he hugged back. I caressed his back like he did to me and his sobs gradually decreased.

​''Are you okay? Do you want to go back to the bus?'' I asked him.

​''No, I'm okay. I just get emotional when it comes to my sister.'' Kellin replied as he broke the hug with a small smile. ''Anyway, we're here.''​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​I turned around to find out a beautiful park. There were gigantic palm trees, a fountain, benches, etc. There were a few people in the park and children running all over the place.

​''My father used to take me here when I was younger.'' Kellin said as we walked in the park. ''We used to play soccer on that field over there and he would buy me an ice cream every single time. I miss that time, everything was so easier.''

​''Yeah, I know what you mean.'' I replied. ''My mother used to take me to this place back in San Diego. We went there every weekend, just her and me. I loved spending time with her, but things got complicated. When my grandmother died, my mother started drinking. She is a huge alcoholic now and we barely talk anymore.''

​''I'm sorry to hear that.'' Kellin said as we sat on of the empty benches.

​''That's okay, don't worry.'' I replied with a big smile. ''Nobody said life was easy. What were we talking about earlier?''​​​​​​​​​​​​

​''Eum, I don't remember... oh yeah, we were talking about the note I left you.'' Kellin answered. ''As I said it was a pleasure.''

​''I really miss her, but I know I'm going to be okay. It's just a big heartbreak.'' I said. ''Let's talk about happier things now, let's take pictures.''

​Kellin and I stood up and went in front of the fountain. I handed my camera to Kellin so he could take a picture of me.

​''Alright, don't move.'' He ordered. ''Done, it's a very nice picture.''

​''Thanks, now come over here.'' I said. ''I want a picture with you as well.''

​Kellin joined me and tried to find a good position for the picture.

​''Would you stop moving?'' I joked. ''It won't make a good photo if you keep moving.''

​''Sorry, it's just that I'm not used to take pictures with people.'' Kellin replied. ''I don't have many friends around here.'' That last sentence was hard to hear. This boy deserves to have so many friends. He is nice and always ready to help.

​''You are perfect, trust me.'' I said spontaneously.

​''Well, I guess you are perfect as well?'' Kellin said laughing. I took the picture and there were a few second of silence.

​''That was a little akward.'' Kellin pointed out. ''Are you hungry?''

​''Yeah, I'm always hungry.'' I repllied.

​''Okay, we have time to get there. Yes, we will walk and no I'm not telling you where we are going. You won't regret it.'' Kellin said.

​''What wouldn't I do for good food..'' I joked. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​The walk to his ​​​​secret place was nothing but silent. We talked about our families, our plans for the future, etc. Kellin wants to be a dentist. I don't understand how someone can dream to have job that consists in playing in strangers' mouths. But I'm not judging him, he'll make a lot of money and he will a job that he loves. I was shy to tell him that I wanted to be a teacher. It's so little compared to a dentist, but Kellin really encouraged me to follow my dreams; I like this guy. 10 minutes later, we were finally there and I was hungrier than ever.

​''Leonardo's pastries.'' I read. ''We walked 10 minutes for a stupid pastries shop?''

​''It's not just a stupid pastries shop like you just said.'' Kellin replied. ''It's Leonardo's, the best place in town to eat any kind of pastrie​​​​​​​​s. You will never eat cookies that are as good as Leo's ones. Trust me.

​We entered the shop and both ordered 4 cookies. I have to admit that 1$ for 4 cookies isn't very expensive and that I'm not the richest guy in town, so I was happy about that. ​​​​We sat at a table and both took a big bite of our cookie.

​''Oh my god, that is delicious, I can't, oh my god.'' I exlaimed very loudly. It was no sarcasm. Those cookies are divine, excellent, perfect.

​''I told you that you would like them, I ain't no liar.'' Kellin teased. ''Do you mind if we finish eating them walking? I would like to stop by the boutiques where our bus is parked. Considering we have to walk 20 minutes, it would give us 30 minutes to shop.''

​''Sounds good to me.'' I said. ''Let's go then.''

​Once again, the walk was very pleasant. My goal today was to know Kellin better and I can say that I reached it. I got to know a lot of personal stuff about him. We found out that we were both singers​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ when we talked about the karaoke tonight. Kellin isn't a constestant, he's the host. That boy and I have many things in common but also many differences.When we got to the shops, Kellin bought some food and water while I bought some souvenirs and postcards for my friends. When we got everything we needed, we headed back to the bus. Most people were already back since it was 2:50 PM. I took place in the bus while Kellin stayed outside to greet the other passengers. 10 minutes later, the bus hit the road. I slept the entire way back to the resort since my friend next to me did the same. I was waken up by this same guy when we got to the hotel.

​''Vic, Vic, we're here.'' Kellin whispered in my ear. ''I have to go now, I have work to do. I will see you later.''

​''Kellin wait.'' I screamed.

​''Yeah what?'' He wondered.

​''Consider me as a friend now.'' I replied as I stood up to hug him. He smiled and hugged back. He let go a few moments later still having this beautiful smile on his face. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
♠ ♠ ♠
do you like it so far? do you want more?