Home

"Don't I Know You?"

“So tell me,” Noelle sat down on the park bench next to her oldest charge, Corrie. “How excited are you for your first day of high school?”

The teenage girl would turn 14 in just a few days and in the coming weeks, she would start high school. In her hands, Corrie held her schedule and list of school supplies. She didn’t answer.

“Huh?” Noelle nudged her shoulder as Nathan and Jackson played on the jungle gym. “Are you excited?” Corrie shrugged, still not answering. Even though she wasn’t supposed to, Noelle addressed the cameras. “Is it because they’re here?”

“I think I’m used to them by now,” Corrie muttered. It was true; her mother had had her own reality show for nearly three years. “I’m just…”

“Scared out of your mind?”

“Yeah,” Corrie crumpled the list of supplies up. “I am.”

“After the last three years, Corrie,” Noelle placed an arm over the teen’s shoulders. “High school is going to be the biggest piece of cake you’ve ever come across.” She poked Corrie’s nose. “And your mom owns a bakery too.”

Corrie shrugged and pulled her sunglasses down over her eyes. “I could go for a slice of cake right about now.”

Noelle hopped up from her seat on the bench as she heard Jackson cry out. The young boy was sitting on the ground with his brother standing over him. “Me too, hon. Me too.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


“I’m so jealous.”

Noelle laughed, cradling the phone between her ear and shoulder as she spoke with her sister. “Excuse me, but didn’t you go to Puerto Rico for three weeks this summer, Willa?”

“On someone else’s dollar,” Willa said. “You’re on TV and making even more money than you were and –,”

“First off, traveling while someone else pays for you is perfect,” Noelle said honestly. “Secondly, I’m not on TV yet and a lot of that money is going to your education, young lady.”

Willa went quiet. Her college tuition was a sore spot. Neither of their parents was in any position to be putting their youngest daughter through college at a top tier school. They were both rebuilding their careers – divorced.

“I’m sorry, Will,” Noelle sighed. “You know I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know you didn’t,” her little sister’s voice was quiet. “I’ll let you get going. I know you have plans.”

“How did you-,”

“I have a Twitter too, Noey,” Willa said. “Love you.”

“Love you too, Willa,” Noelle said quickly, just as the line went dead. “Love you too.”

She slid her earrings into place and brushed her hair over one shoulder. Show time.

*~*~*~*~*~*


Tyler braced himself as he climbed out of his rental. He hadn’t wanted to drive down in his Maserati or his massive SUV, so he’d flown to Dallas and rented something less inconspicuous – a Camaro.

He’d quickly learned over the last few days that the Dallas night life was pretty decent. Not quite the same as Boston’s, he noticed. There were less college kids looking to get drunk without being carded and more young professionals or wealthy ranchers’ kids come to the city for a good time.

Training camp was kicking off come Monday morning, and with it, all of the hype of Boston’s young prodigy now transplanted to Dallas, Texas. Tyler wasn’t sure what to expect. He’d only spent two full weeks in July in the new city and had only just arrived in Texas again the day before. It was hard for him to believe that he’d only played two full seasons in the NHL and a lockout shortened run.

The club, for one, certainly wasn’t what Tyler expected. From the outside, it looked like any place he’d find in Toronto or even in Boston. But inside, there was no grinding dance floor, no dark and dirty bathrooms. There were actual tables and chairs, a professional looking bar, and large doors that spilled out onto a patio. That wasn’t to say Tyler had only ever been to shady night spots in Boston, but this particular Dallas spot put them all to shame.

The girls could compete with what Tyler had seen before too. For once, Tyler praised the continuous hot Dallas weather and finally decided he could put up with it if it meant he would get to see this much leg almost year round.

Tyler walked out onto the patio where a slew of semi familiar faces were lounging around at tables, on couches, and leaning against a railing overlooking a fabulous view of the Dallas skyline. Pevs was there, immediately waving to Tyler, as were the Benns, both with total rockets on their arms. Shit, was Jamie with a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader?

He chuckled to himself before heading towards the outdoor bar. Two other patrons stood at there, waiting on their own drinks. Behind it was another secluded area where a team of cameras were being set up. Tyler would definitely be staying away from those.

As he neared the bar, one of the other guests turned around, jostling with her drink into Tyler. “Whoa,” he steadied her drink in her hands without getting any on himself.

She flushed. “I’m so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention at…,” her voice trailed off. “All.”

This girl looked vaguely familiar. They both looked at each other for a long minute before speaking at the same time.

“Don’t I know you?” They laughed after.

“Tyler, right?” she spoke first. “Doesn’t like vanilla in his coffee?”

It clicked in his brain. “Noelle with two ‘l’s and an extra ‘e’.”

“In the flesh,” Noelle nodded. “Sorry I can’t seem to keep track of my own drink properly these days. Lots on my mind.”

“Ain’t that the truth,” Tyler sighed as he leaned his arms against the bar, gesturing to the bartender. He ordered before turning back to Noelle. “Why do I get the feeling you’re with the cameras?”

Noelle’s eyebrows shot up. “Either you’re very perceptive or the microphone sticking out of the top of my dress gave me away. In which case, how dare you for looking there!” She swatted him with her clutch.

“So you are with the cameras?” Tyler continued.

Noelle picked up her drink and smiled. “I just might be.” She turned to go. “See you around, Tyler.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So are all the 'Dallas is my home etc.' GIFs and such of Tyler's end-of-season interviews killing you guys as much as they are me? Because I think I've watched the interview a million and one times. Ugh.

Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

Bar