Seeing Is Believing

09

It was my first night alone in Zak's house. They had left for Kentucky earlier today. I was preparing some dinner with Gracie. She was so cute as she sat and begged for any scraps. I was sure that Zak had spoiled her, but I couldn't resist that face either. She was the cutest damn thing. Boots, my own dog, was rather adorable too. I wanted to get him out to Vegas soon if I was going to be staying here. My phone that was on the island behind me began to ring and I picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Macy," Zak's voice came through the other line.

"Oh hey," I replied.

"We're about to get locked in...I want you to call me right away if anything bad happens there...This place isn't something to joke about and honestly I feel really shitty for leaving you there by yourself..."

"I'll be fine," I insisted. "I don' believe in this anyway, 'member?" I did now, but I hadn't believed before so maybe it would deter these spirits.

"Just keep yourself guarded and don't open yourself up...I don't know what's going to happen here."

"I'll be fine," I said again. "Go back to your lockdown."

"Call me if anything happens. Promise me that you will."

"I promise. Can ya put Mason on real quick? I jus' wanna check in on him."

"Sure."

"Hello?" Mason's voice came on a moment later.

"Everythin' a'right there? Are ya havin' fun?"

"Yeah, it's really cool to hang out with the guys. I'm going to be watching their cameras live tonight."

"Have fun, hon. Love ya."

"I love you too," he said. I knew that it could be considered 'nerdy' for a fifteen year old to tell their parent figure that they loved them, but we were pretty much all the family the other had. Well, now there was Zak, but that wasn't really the same.

"Alright, we've gotta go in now. Love you, sweetie."

"I love ya too," I replied and hung up. I finished my cooking rather quickly and sat down to eat my food in the living room while watching the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving that I hadn't gotten to watch yesterday. Gracie was lying by my side the whole time. Her nose resting on my lap. I pet her head and watched the show. It was kind of nice to get some alone time. But, I had to admit, Zak's house had a strange feel to it, not just now, but in general. I always felt like somebody was watching me and there were strange noises. I guessed that I would just have to learn to live with it.

***

I cleaned up my mess and went to bed. I went to check my phone and send Zak and Mason a quick goodnight text that they could read later. Zak especially worried to much and I wanted to tell him that I was okay in the house alone. I didn't want to interrupt the lockdown in anyway. Unfortunately, my phone wasn't in my pocket, like I thought that it was. I walked out of the bedroom and went down the hall to the staircase. I heard this odd tune...like some child's nursery rhyme as I went to walk down the actual stairs. It was really weird. I shook it off and got halfway down the metal stairs and I my feet came out from under me or something! Everything went so quickly as I tumbled down the rest of the stairs, causing immerse pain to my entire body.

***Zak's POV***

"Z-Zak...come in Zak..." My walkie-talkie started going off as we went to move locations.

"What is it, Mason?" I asked.

"Uh...You...you need to come out here. We need to head back to Vegas. It's Macy."

"What do you mean?"

"The hospital just called me, she was just brought by ambulance to the ER."

The full affect of what he was telling me took a minute to sink in. I dropped my walkie and passed my camera to Nick or Aaron-I wasn't sure who it was-and I ran to Mason's tent. I pulled my phone out and dialed her number, not wanting to believe it, my hands were shaking so bad as I arrived at the tent. No answer.

"Nick and Aaron will get the stuff...just get what you need," I commanded Mason. "We're flying back, now." A few moments later, Nick and Aaron came jogging in.

"What's wrong, bro?" Aaron asked.

"Macy was just taken to the ER..." I said.

"Is the baby okay?"

"I-I don't know Aaron, I-Mason and I have to go. Finish the lockdown without us. Don't do it at all-I don't care right now. Will you get my bags from the hotel?"

"Yeah, man. Where's your keycard?" Nick asked. I handed it to him and Mason handed Nick his too. "Take the car, we'll find another way back to the hotel..."

"You sure?"

"Just go," Aaron said, handing met he keys. Mason and I ran to the van we had rented and I made a speedy drive to the airport. I knew that no matter what, it would be at the very least five hours before we were back in Vegas...

***

"How can I-"

"I need two tickets to Vegas on the first flight out of here..." I always tried to be nice to people because it was good Karma, but right now, I just wanted to get back and get to Macy.

"Okay, I'll see what I can do," the woman was too perky, but she was taking her time.

"Can you hurry up a little, please? It's kind of an emergency." She looked at me worriedly. I knew how airports were. Shit. "My pregnant girlfriend was just admitted to the ER and I need to get back to her..." I hoped that would keep security from coming and further examining Mason and I.

Her fingers sped up on the keys and she looked up at me a moment later. "It leaves in twenty minutes, I'm not sure if you'll be able to make it in the security checks in time..." she said.

"I will," I said determinedly. It was a damn good thing we didn't have any bags.

"Do you have a carry on bag?"

"No. Just what's in my pockets, we left in a hurry. The rest of our group has our stuff."

"Okay. That'll be-" I held out my card, I didn't care how much it was. We were wasting our twenty minutes.

***Macy's POV***

I didn't feel good. I felt like I had been run over by a truck. I wasn't even sure where I was. I was nearly morning, or that was what I assumed by the amount of light coming from outside. How long had I been out? I didn't even remember actually going to bed! But, when I heard the beeping of the machine, I knew that I wasn't home. I was in a hospital?

"Ms. Holland?" The door clicked open and I nearly jumped out of my skin. An older woman with her blonde hair pulled back into a tight bun and dark green eyes walked into the room. She was wearing a white lab coat, it looked older than the ones I had seen and she was lacking the ID badge everyone else had. "Hello, I'm Dr. Grey. How our you feeling this morning?"

"Like I got ran over by a bus," I replied. She gave me a warm smile.

"You're going to feel like that for a few days probably. You have a lot of bruising. I'm amazed that you didn't break anything. You're wrist is sprained though."

"What 'bout my baby? Is it gonna be a'right?" Just then, the door opened again. Two tall, dark haired males came running in. They took their places on either side of me.

"Macy, sweetheart, are you alright?" Zak asked.

"I-I don't know. I was waiting for the doctor to tell me..." I said, looking at Dr. Grey.

"Your baby did not make it." Her words sounded rather blunt. Weren't doctors supposed to break it to you easy?

For a moment, it was like time had frozen. I felt so empty, like part of me had been taken away. I wasn't a whole person any more...The tears welled up in my eyes and I felt physically ill. I just wanted to pass out. I forgot that anybody else was in the room until I felt Zak's strong, protective arms around me. I lost it. The sobs over took my body and I cried like never before. I felt moisture on my collar bone and I knew that I wasn't the only one affected by this, Zak was crying too...

Dr. Grey had disappeared without any of us hearing the door click.

Mason's hand was gripping mine and I felt the sadness radiating throughout the room. I was just overcome by it all...I wanted to just give up...

***

"It's my fault," I murmured. I was still in the hospital that evening-they wanted to keep me over night-and Zak was lying the hospital bed with me. All I had done was cry and he was my shoulder to cry on.

"No it's not," he said automatically, his face was buried in my neck at this time. We had changed positions several times, this just happened to be what it was now. "It's mine. I shouldn't have left you in that damn house."

"It wasn't the house, Zak. I fell down the stairs. How coul' a house do tha'? 'Sides, I'm so goddamn clumsy tha' it woulda happened even if ya was 'ere. 'S my fault."

"Macy, stop it. You didn't do this. This is not your fault."

"Jus' stop, Zak...Jus'...stop." I couldn't deal with his way of trying to make me feel better, it wasn't going to work. It was my fault, and I knew it.