Status: *PLEASE NOTE - I will no longer be working on this story! Apologies! (more info in summary)

Corruption

Chapter Two

As the day continues, at least half of my classes are with Hayden. As I walk to my seventh period lunch, I swallow down my growing hatred of the girl. It’s lunch, I should enjoy my time to eat--god I love food. I walk into the lunchroom, scanning the tables for at least one friendly fast, I don’t have many friends.

“Hey!” Garrett calls, an easy smile on his face. “Sit over here!”

I smile back and make my way to the table. I sit down between Garrett and our friend Erin. Garrett has messy brown hair, honey-brown eyes and a caring smile, and Erin has short, dirty blond hair and blue eyes. Erin’s shy and quiet, but she’s a really nice person and a good friend.

“How’s my favorite Nazi?” I ask her, smiling.

She laughs and shakes her head, used to the joke. “I have nothing against Jewish people and you know it.”

Garrett turns to me with wide eyes. “That’s what she wants us to think!”

They laugh and I get up, heading to the line for food. I get in line and add some items to my tray, pizza and some french fries. I go to reach for a bottle of water, but before my hand reaches it someone else grabs it. I turn to bitch at them, but come face to face with Hayden.

“Sorry,” she says, though her smiles shows that she’s not.

“Look, I don’t know what your problem is, but I’m not someone who will put up with bullshit.”

“Oh, I’m sure you’re not,” she says with a wink.

I glare at her. “And by the way, stop staring at me. You wanna be some kind of stalker, go ahead, but not with me.”

She looks surprised at that, but smiles again, “Mhm.”

I’m about to hit her, but then she turns and just walks away, the water still in her hand.

“Stupid bitch,” I mutter, grabbing my own water.

* * *


“See you tomorrow!” I yell to Garrett as he drives away in his Jeep, Erin in the passenger seat. He honks, and I wave at the car as he turns the corner.

I walk to my car, digging in my bag for my keys. I look up, keys in hand, and leaning against my car is, of course, Hayden. I growl under my breath and stalk to the car.

“What the fuck do you want?” I ask, still striding toward her.

“How bout we go for a little ride?” She asks, uncrossing her arms.

“Why would I do that?” I ask, looking at her and all her crazy.

She smirks. “Because I have your keys.”

I pause, confused, and glance at my hand. My keys are gone, and I look back at her; she’s dangling them from her manicured fingers.

“How did you--?”

“Just shut up and get in the car,” she laughs, and slips in the drivers side of the car. Of my car.

I walk to the drivers side and try to open the door, but she locked it. I bang on the window, rage filling me.

“Get out of my fucking car!” I yell, beating on the window again.

She holds up a finger, telling me to wait, and rolls down the window a fraction.

“Come on, Aradia, we don’t have all day. Besides, if you break your window I’m not paying for it.”

I sigh, giving up. Whatever, I’ll go for a ride with this bitch, make it clear she needs to stay out of my life, and then go home. I get into the passenger seat and put on my seatbelt. She turns the key into the ignition, switches the gear from PARK to DRIVE, and screeches out of the parking lot. I grab the side of my seat to keep my balance as she drifts to turn.

“If you crash my car,” I say through gritted teeth. “I will seriously murder you.”

She laughs, rolling her window down all the way. “Don’t worry about it!”

She drives for a while, somehow hitting every green light--the speedometer never dips below 50. Every time a red light was ahead, it turned green when we were close. After 45 minutes, she pulls onto a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, and parks the car. To the left is a corn field, the stalks all harvested and to the right is a partially bare forest, the fall turning remaining leaves gold, brown, and red.

“Why are we here?” I ask, but Hayden just gets out of the car. I follow her, my boots crunching on rocks and dead leaves.

Hayden walks into the woods, following a leaf-covered trail. I follow her, zipping my hoodie up. It’s beginning to get cold. Hayden abruptly stops, and turns on her heal.

“Have strange things been happening?” she asks, looking at me seriously.

“Uh...” I mutter, confused. “What do you--?”

“The dragon,” she says, her eyes a steeling gray in the fading light. “Your drawing. You made it move, brought it to life. Have similar things been happening?”

I swallow. “Look, I don’t know what you’re talking about. But my, uh, mom’s waiting for me--”

“Bullshit,” she says, interrupting me again. “Your mom’s dead.”

I clench my teeth. How could she know that? And anyway, why would she be so blunt and ignorant about it? I just look at her, anger swirling in my chest. She takes a step toward me, and I stand my ground. She grabs me by the shoulders and looks me in the eyes. I hold my head high, eyes narrowed.

“Answer me!” she yells into my face, shaking me slightly.

My anger boils and spills over, and I shake her hands off and push her hard. She flies backward, more so than I thought she would, and her jacket where my hands were is...on fire?

“What the fuck is going on?!” I yell, looking at her with wide eyes. She’s on the ground, breathing hard.

She stands up and rubs her hands over her jacket, the parts that are fire, and the flames are immediately extinguished. She walks up to me and I step back, shaking slightly.

“I was right,” she says. She doesn’t look angry, but more rather irritated yet triumphant.

“About what?” I ask, my voice unsteady.

“You’re like me,” she says, an odd smile on her face. “You’re a witch.”