Status: *PLEASE NOTE - I will no longer be working on this story! Apologies! (more info in summary)

Corruption

Chapter Four

“Elemental Academy?” I ask, sitting up and leaning my head between the two front seats to look at Hayden.

She looks at me and nods. “What do you know about it?”

“Well,” I say, remembering how my friends and I, as well as practically everyone else, have talked about it. “It’s a school for rich girl, with fancy foods. And from what I’ve heard, all the students are pampered bitches.”

Hayden purses her lips, looking irritated. I suppress a smile--if she goes here I’m not surprised.

“You’re...kind of right.” Hayden finally answers. “Elemental Academy for the Exceptionally Gifted is an all girl private school, but they don’t take just anyone. To go to the school there, you have to be a witch.”

I look at her, shocked. How do they keep something that big a secret? An entire school, full of witches, smack dab in the outskirts of Callivar city, my home.

“Also,” Hayden says, staring at the gate. “All witches have to go. If a witch doesn’t, they’re considered a Rogue and will never be part of a Coven, and without a Coven you’re alone and untrained among humans, therefore a threat to our secret.”

“It’s a boarding school, right?” I ask, sitting back in my seat as I take everything in.

“Yeah.”

“So I have to give up everything, my friends and my home, to go to some stupid school for the abnormally defected females?” I say, glaring at my hands.

“Choose to be an Rogue,” she hisses, turning in her seat to glare at me. “But know you will be watched, for the rest of your life. And know that without proper training, you could hurt everyone you’re close to.”

I cross my arms and think, frowning. I would never hurt Garrett or my dad, or any of my other friends. But if I’m a witch, how can I know that? I got angry at Hayden and set her jacket on fire with my bare hands. I sigh, my decision made.

“Fine,” I say, feeling defeated. “I’ll go.”

Hayden smiles in triumph. Beside her, the frightening man at the wheel shifts to look at me in the rearview at me. His eyes are a light brown, with flecks of darker shades.

“An acceptance letter will be delivered to your home at approximately eight tomorrow morning. Be at the school no later than noon tomorrow.” he says, his voice rough.

I nod, feeling unsettled.

* * *


I wake up casually, momentarily forgetting today I leave for Elemental Academy. The scarred man had driven me home without another word, and I walked through my front door around 11. As I remember the events of last night, I feel heavy and rub my chest--I’m going to miss Garrett the most. I shower quickly and throw on some clothes, all black. I blow dry and straighten my hair, then quickly apply dark makeup. I check my phone; school starts at 8 and it’s 7:45. If I want to say goodbye to Garrett, I need to hurry.

I grab my keys and leave the house, getting in my car and heading to school--my old school. I reach the parking lot in minutes and park my car in the usual spot, waiting for Garrett’s silver Jeep to pull into the spot besides me. I check my phone repeatedly, impatient. After two minutes that seem like hours, he pulls into the parking space next to me. I turn off the engine and get out of my Toyota, leaning against the closed doors. Garrett opens his door and hops down from the Jeep, smiling at me.

“Hey,” I say, trying to smile back. It feels foreign on my face.

“What’s up, Ray?” he asks, leaning against my car beside me.

“I’m not going to school today,” I say, contemplating how to break it to him.

“You’re already here,” he says, raising a brown eyebrow.

“I’m transferring to Elemental Academy,” I say, deciding to be forthright.

His eyes widen, looking at me like I’m crazy. “That bratty, rich kid boarding school? Why?”

“I have to,” I say. I want to tell him I’m a witch, but he wouldn’t believe me--I barely believe it. Besides, I can’t reveal the secret, Hayden made that clear.

“You don’t have to do anything,” he says, narrowing his eyes.

“I do,” I say, crossing my arms. “I’ll miss you, Garrett. I’ll try to visit--”

“Don’t leave!” he almost yells, and pulls me into a hug. “Ray, you don’t understand. You’re my best friend, but you’re also more than that.”

“What do you mean?” I ask as I hug him back.

I feel him sigh, and then inhale jaggedly. “Aradia, I think I love you.”

I let go of him and step back, looking at him. How could he love me? We’ve been friends forever, I would have noticed a shift from friendship to romance. But the look in his eyes tells me he’s not lying, and I frown.

“Garrett, I’m really sorry, but I have to go...” I say sadly, not knowing how to react.

He looks at me pleadingly, and my chest aches. I have to get away, I have to run. I run around the car and into the driver’s side, starting the car. I look up and he stands in front of the window, looking sad and angry. I shake my head, feeling tears in my eyes. He opens his mouth to say something, but I can’t handle it. I release the brake and drive away.