Life Like This

Bedroom

John

After school Malachi picked us up and as soon as the car got out of the school parking lot Anne was already fast asleep. She must have stayed up the night before. We've grown up together yet looking at her sleeping, it always reminds me of the 6 years old her. Actually just whenever I look at her, I still see the smaller Anne. I guess she was just one of those people who are genuinely a child at heart and body. It wasn't till Malachi talked that I realized I was staring.

“Fix her neck would you. Her shoulders 'll hurt if she stayed that way.”

“There's a neck pillow somewhere in the compartment back there” He went on.

I found the pillow, but instead of placing it on her shoulders I out it on my lap and unraveled the body strap of her seat belt. I took one hand to support her by the neck and while my other arm cradled her body. Slowly and carefully I lowered her head and laid her it on top of the plump pillow. After succeeding on mission 'get her comfy' I looked straight at the road and I noticed Malachi looking at me smiling at the rear view mirror. A sign that meant approval. Minutes later the car came to a halt at Anne's house. It was more of a mansion actually, but whatever.

“I'll get your bags and bring it up.” Malachi said turning to face me.

“I'll carry her up then,” I replied. “Thanks Malachi.”

“Yep,” he said walking towards the car compartment.

Anne is one petite girl. Her height comes up perfectly to my chest. She has very doll like features. Fair skin, slender body, waist slim, hands and feet small, long brown hair that framed her face. She didn't weigh much either. On the way to her room, I carried her in my arms and laid her on her bed. One of the things I loved about her family was that there weren't any malicious thoughts. Ever since our first sleepover Anne's parents let me sleep in the same room as their daughter, let alone on the same bed. I've spent time over at Anne's so much that I'm basically treated as part owner of the house. All the other guys too, pretty much all her close friends. It always made me feel a little bit guilty but at the same time happy. Her family welcomed us, loved us and with that we've learned to love them the same.

Anne's room was huge. If one stranger entered the room, one would assume it was for a princess or royalty of some sort. The walls were painted a soft beige and was detailed with gold trimmings. Parallel to her bed was a large glass double doors that leads you to a terrace. The door and as well as all the other windows were framed with berry colored, velvet drapes. By the door and the side window was an armchair and a small table. When we we're kids we'd sit next to each other in the armchair and read a book together. Years passed and now we're too big to share the armchair. Now whenever we'd read, we'll be on the carpet or her bed. Her bed we never grew out of. It was a king size-four poster. Soft mattress, silk covers and fluffy pillow, perfect for pillow fights and movie nights.

Anne laid and again I was staring. God I need to stop. I don't know why, but recently I've been catching myself stare at her more often. I've been spacing out more too. It's been like this ever since since we were kids but now I feel like it's happening more and more. I just really hope she doesn't think I'm going crazy or something. Anne woke up to me staring. She gave me this look I just couldn't read. Her eyes were wide and for a moment I felt as if she was looking into my eyes. I just really hope I didn't give her the wrong impression.