Rescue Me

This is Hell

"Why are you here?" I ask, astonished.

Mickey says nothing as I'm hauled back to my bedroom. I lay on my bed (without restraints) and watch the door. Mickey walks in.

"Well, well, well. Look at this miserable piece of garbage," he taunts, then lunges at me and pins me to the wall, choking me.

"I'm not garbage," I force out.

"Bull. Of course you are. Why else are you here? You're a psycho freak. You deserve every bit of this. Which is why," he says, then pulls out a knife, "I won't feel bad for doing this."

Before I have time to react, I am choking on my own blood. He's slit my throat! Where's Mindy when I need her?

----------4 hours later----------

I once read that hell is not a fiery pit, but rather the place you died if it was a horrific way. For instance, if you were killed in an accident, you feel each shard of metal and glass impaling you, but you don't die and escape the pain. I never believed it until now. I know I'm in hell.

I'm back in the nurse's room of the institution. I can still feel the pain in my throat, a horrible burning sensation. I'm afraid to look around, but I do anyways. I see Nurse Werner watching me, writing in her charting book. I glance down to make sure I'm not being held down. I'm not, which makes this whole idea of being in hell get easier. I slowly move my throbbing head to face the nurse.

"Why are you here? How did you die?" I ask.

"I'm not dead. Neither are you. You had a major panic attack, scratched at your throat, and fell, hitting your head," she explains.

"But Mickey killed me. He cut my throat. I was there. Now I'm in hell," I argue. She must be in denial.

She explains it again to me, but I still don't believe her. I know I'm dead.

"What happened to you?" I repeat.

"What do you mean?" She asks, a concerned look on her face.

"We're in hell together. How did you die?" I press on.

She sighs and repeats, "Neither of us died. I already told you it was a panic attack. You're schizophrenic, Alice."

"You're lying! My head hurts because you did a lobotomy on me! Why would you do this?" I yell.

"If you don't calm down, you'll go in the seclusion room again," she warns calmly.

I break down in tears, my head pounding and my throat stinging. Mickey and Chester appear with scalpels and I scream.

"Don't kill me! I'll be perfect! I'm not a psycho freak!" I scream, growing hysterical.

Nurse Werner picks up the phone. Over the intercom, I hear, "Code green, C/A 2. Code green, C/A 2."

She puts the phone down. I kick at Mickey and Chester but the nurse and some aides hold my legs down long enough for them to put the restraints back on. Crap. That's all I need. Not only are they denying the fact I'm in hell and about to be killed again, they've given me a lobotomy, and they're all in denial of being dead, they're helping Mickey and Chester kill me! Traitors! After about 5 minutes, 3 more nurses and Doctor Fischer run in. Fischer has a needle and syringe. I try to get away, but to no avail. I feel the sting of the needle and soon, Mickey and Chester attack and I'm dead again.