Rescue Me

Trying something new.

I woke up to a sharp rapping on my door. I groggily look over at my clock. It read "12:20" in bright red lights. I sigh and Doctor Fischer walks in. He sits on my bed.

"I heard you were breaking some rules," he says calmly.

"I did nothing!" I protest, "I simply was trying to get a point across to Zachary. Even ask Mindy!"

"Mindy isn't real," he says with an annoyed sigh.

"Bullshit! She is too! are you blind?" I yell angrily.

"No foul language, Alice. Now tell me exactly what happened," he says.

I explain everything to him. How I needed to warn Zachary, how Barb angered me, how LIARS is planning everything and watching my every move. All he does in response is shake his head.

Sighing, he says, "I'll try to fix that right away, Alice. now it's time for you to come eat lunch."

I walk out slowly, dragging my feet. I'm thinking about what Fischer said. He said he was going to fix that. Does this mean he's finally believing me and is on my side? I think so! I get some more spring in my step and start skipping to the dining area. I grab my food and sit across from Zachary.

"Fischer is on my side now!" I exclaim, a big grin on my face.

"Oh, is he now?" he says, an undertone of sarcasm in his voice. I glare at him, but then decide he's still brainwashed.

"Yes! He said he's going to try to fix it. He wants them to leave us alone," I say merrily.

He shakes his head and continues to eat his food. It looks so good. It's chicken nuggets, peaches, baby carrots, a cookie, and milk. I scarf it down.

Presley walks in as I'm wiping my mouth with a napkin. Crap!

"Hey fatty. Why did you eat? you're going to be even fatter. Here, meet me in the bathroom," she says. I sigh and ask to be excused and to go to the restroom. After one of the aides, Susan, unlocks the door, I walk in and Presley follows. I shut the door. For some reason, what Presley said is finally true for once. I am fat. I don't want to gain any more weight.

She lifts the toilet seat. "Now, what I want you to do is roll up your right sleeve. Bend over the toilet and stick your index and middle fingers as far into your throat as possible. Like this," she instructs. She then demonstrates and after several pokes at her uvula, she coughs up a little bit of food. Gross!
"Now you try it!" she says, overly cheerful.

I do as she told me to and everything comes up and I feel a mix of emotions. There's shame, the fear of being caught, but over all, just pride and a sense of accomplishment. I can get away with this! I flush, wash up, and then do something I'm really surprised I even thought of doing: I hugged Presley. There's something wrong about it, I guess I actually didn't think about it, because she was just as shocked as I was and she slapped me.

"Ouch! What was that about?" I yell, confused. She acted like she cared about me and then she hurts me! what's her problem anyway?

"You fool! you know I hate to be hugged," she whispers loudly.

I leave the bathroom and shut the door in her face. I can't believe I just did that. It felt so liberating. I could get used to that.