State of Grace

till the end

Patricia felt ill as she heard the dreadful news. The princess who has been content with herself has been thrown to the wolves or better yet lions considering the family she is going to be wedded into.

“Why must I marry him father? Did I anger you or the gods in any way?” Patricia angrily countered, trailing behind her father.

The man refused to look at her as he said, “It is for the best, Patricia. There will be no further bloodshed if this peace treaty proceeds.”

“Peace-” Her words escaped her, she knew well enough what the marriage signified, but to hear it out loud only made her blood boil. Choking back tears, she seethed, “I am not a toy that can be cast aside or be used as a prop. I am a human being!”

Her father sighed, rolling his eyes wondering why his eldest daughter couldn’t be obedient as his other children.

“I have rights! Feelings! Emotions! I-”

“No you do not! You never will!” King Richard had enough; he spun on his heels facing his unbearably independent daughter. “You are to serve and please your king. You will wed him and bed him. That is all you are good for. Now, I won’t hear another word of this.” He hissed lowly.

Patricia flinched as he squeezed her shoulders tightly, “Do you understand me?”

Something inside of her told her to continue speaking her mind and he might change it. Yet she kept a tight lip fearing to further anger her father and is physically reprimanded for it. King Richard nods his head once before taking off leaving her in despair.

Patricia was aware of the whispers that floated around the kingdom. She is way beyond her years of a redeemable age for marriage. Being of the tender age of twenty people assumed she was too wild, too coarse, or too ugly for a man to marry to.

She was no fool. Patricia is aware there are mother women far superior in beauty than she. She did not care. The princess yearned for her bow and arrows; it brought her peace and a good way to settle her frustrations.

But her beloved father forbade her to do such activities so she practiced in her sanctuary. The forest around her gave her the security of being herself without judgment. Pulling back the arrow she released it hitting the mark. A small grin became visible on her lips until she thought of the possibilities of her doing such things in Plymmon.

The city can stretch out for miles leaving no forest by its surroundings. Her homeland is ten times as small from what she has heard of the buildings made of gold and the finest of linens were worn by all of the people. It was a magical land that enticed many of the people to migrate to such a paradise filled place. Patricia didn’t bat an eyelash when she heard such folk tales.

She hated the city life and what Plymmon stood for. The violence and deception in the city had a set of normalcy every corner there was a trickster, an extra ear to hear of the rumors that can bring down even the wealthiest of people. No one can be trusted in that city.

It upset her just thinking she will be stuck there until her death. “What am I to do?” She questioned herself.

It is her duty to comply with the arranged marriage to a king she did not know personally. She heard stories of him being handsome, a daredevil smile that made the maidens weak and the lustful eye with anything with a dress on. Patricia did not know what he looked like, but he knew of her and her appearance and guessing by his acceptance he approved of her.

For all she knew the king she is betrothed to is an old, wrinkly, dreadful man with a heart of steel. Patricia is more nervous than she will admit. She did not want to go through with it, but what about her people? To avoid further destruction and chaos she has to obey her father’s command.

Plymmon raged a war against her home and to cease the war and save lives of the innocent she shall go through with it. Placing a hand on a red oak tree, she inhaled the sweet aroma of the bark. She will surely miss Azur’deoro.

_ _ _

Patricia grimaced as she felt her handmaiden, Cora tighten the corset enabling her to breath. What was the purpose of such a tight constricting thing? Oh yes, her ample bosom practically spilled from her dress while the corset tightened around her figure to show it off to her future husband. She felt like a show horse being primped before the dazzling finale.

“Are you excited to meet your new husband, milady? I heard he is quite a dashing man with eyes as blue as the sea and lips as soft as a rose.”

The princess huffed, “Would it be appalling if I disagreed with you? King Thomas has done nothing for his kingdom except create bloodshed just like the fathers before him. Just speaking about him makes me ill.”

She witness the frown deepening on Cora’s face as she spilled the truth, gathering the long coat she helped Patricia get into it before she muttered, “I do not think it’s wise to speak such words to your future husband, milady. You may be surprised how gentle he could possibly be.”

Gentle? She hasn’t heard anything farther than the truth. King Thomas had a reputation of taking kingdoms that rebelled against him and his forces grew within each year. More and more people want to live in the City of Gold and Riches, gladly serving him just to be touched at the light of all that is holy in that dump they call a city.

Patricia only smiled at Cora’s passion. Taking the girl’s hands into her own she whispered, “Out of all of my handmaidens, you are the one I will truly miss the most.” Cora had the fieriest of spirits around and not being able to bring her along devastated her. She thought she would be able to bring someone to keep her company in the lion’s den only to be thrown in there alone.

Cora squeezed the princess’ hands, bowing with a watery smile. “It has been a pleasure serving you, Princess.”

Before Patricia could get another word in, another handmaiden popped in to retrieve her from her chambers. Letting out a small sigh due to lack of oxygen, she walked out of the castle lingering in every hall. She wanted to memorize the draperies and the stone walls and floors, the family sigil that will be replaced in a matter of days.

The further she walked the more she didn’t want to become a lion. She wanted to remain an eagle to soar in the highest of places where a lion cannot touch her. How she wished she had wings to make things less complicated. Walking towards the carriage that was going to whisk her away to her new dungeon, she avoided eye contact with her escorts.

Walking into the carriage without a word she dared not look out afraid that she will attempt to escape from the inevitable. Patricia flinched when the door slammed shut; hearing the latch shut signified the end of her old life and being caged into a new one.

That was how she was going to view it. Within minutes the carriage slowly traveled along with the knights around her. It would take approximately a month to reach their destination and within those thirty days she had time to reflect on herself and what actions she may take when she would be thrown to her new husband. Nails dug into the plush cushion as restlessness started to settle in.

Patricia felt a hand grab her own giving a comforting squeeze. Glancing up she saw her mother who she is a splitting image of. “Do not worry about your future, darling. Your king will treat you kindly despite what rumors may say about him.”

“How can you be sure of it? He can be death himself for all we know. He’s a widower and could not bring an heir into this world. There must be something the gods had set against him for him to have such travesty in his life.” Patricia didn’t feel pity towards the king. After all that he has done to maintain his reign of his kingdom she held no respect for him.

“Maybe it wasn’t his time to have children yet. He won’t lay a hand on you, I swear it.” Ava placed a tender hand on her daughter’s cheek. “He will be loving and kind towards you.”

Such empty words coming from her mother, it was no doubt supposed to soothe her, but it did no such thing. Patricia felt her stomach coil at the lies her mother was spewing out. Almost every man in this realm has struck their wife including her own father.

She has seen it so many times and her mother easily took it like she deserves such treatment. How can she be raised to be a lady and yet ladies get struck all the time? It made no sense. Patricia had it fused into her to be docile, sweet-natured, and submissive. All of those things repulsed her; she will not lay on her back for any man and easily spread her legs even when she does marry the king.

“Have an open mind, Patricia. Be a good wife like you were intended. There should be no reason for an uprising just because of your refusal.” Ava sternly reminded her daughter. The Queen was not foolish. She was aware of her strong willed daughter that will easily recoil at the sight of her husband.

Patricia stared out into the green pastures muttering her compliance. For the month, her parents reminded her to be on her best behavior and to be the good wife they raised her to become. She felt alone the first day when she saw that all of the knights kept an eye on her, not one was a familiar face.

Biting her tongue was a difficult task and the closer they got to Plymmon the more her heart continued to pound harder against her chest. She almost swallowed her tongue when her brown eyes saw the magnificent wall they called an entrance. Her mouth hung open at the magnitude of how many people actually lived in the kingdom, it almost seemed impossible to have such diversity.

The trumpets sounded off announcing their arrival. When their carriage came to a slow stop, Ava quickly fixed Patricia’s hair and muttered a reminder of her behavior. She almost missed the small reminder as she felt a million eyes stare at the carriage.

Once her mother was escorted out, she was next. Being pulled out like a rag doll she tried to maintain a stoic expression only to have passed that state of shock. Suddenly her corset was too tight clutching her stomach she breathed deeply as her mother came to give her a few soothing words. “Come, child. You must meet the king.”

Patricia nodded stiffly, her legs moved her forward. She couldn’t feel her legs as her gaze was transfixed on the pebble stone ground below her. Her heels clicked on the stone, gathering her skirts she walked up the stairs that felt like eternity. When she finally was stopped she was confused until she heard such a soothing voice.

“This must be Princess Patricia.” Her gaze flickered towards a beautiful hue of blue, her nerves getting the best of her as they held onto her tightly. King Thomas grasped her hand giving it a small kiss before placing it between them. “You’re more radiating than your portrait, my lady.”

“Thank you, your Grace.” Patricia bowed her head slightly.

What was she doing? Did she not remember what she told herself? She will not spread her legs or give in to such a man she barely knew, no matter how shockingly handsome he is. His revolting smile and eyes sent millions to their death and he does not deserve her love. He does not deserve her at all, she repeated to herself.

Patricia felt a sharp tug in her stomach as she observed her new handmaidens. She felt out of place having a darker complexion than the rest of the people of Plymmon. Her parents disregarded her as much as possible and only saw her during meals. Patricia had to swallow her pride whenever she had to sit next to King Thomas hoping that her look of disgust didn’t cross her features.

Now the day as come, the day that she has mourned since she was told she is going to wed the king. Inhaling deeply, the chatter of the handmaidens went through one ear and out the other as they helped her get dressed. The ivory dress trimmed with gold made her look angelic or that is what she has heard from her surrounding handmaidens. Of course they would say such things; she is going to be there queen in a few hours.

Queen…Patricia didn’t realize the magnitude of the situation until then. An unsettling feeling clutched her stomach at the desperation of escape. She can’t be queen, can she? She never pictured herself being a queen not even in her own country. It is true that she is the oldest child of King Richard and Queen Ava of Azur’deoro, but she will not be next in line for the throne, her baby brother the youngest child will be.

She bit the inside of her cheek to relieve the stress that started to overcome her body. When Ava popped in, Patricia was a little relieved to see her mother there. A look of concern appeared on her features wondering if her daughter was alright. With a tight smile, she reassured her mother.

With jewelry and dress intact, Patricia reminded herself to breathe.

Walking down the aisle was the most torturous of things. Her breathing got heavy as she inched forward to her future husband. Her father looked a bit too obliged to give her away, when King Thomas placed his hand for her to reach Patricia looked at the hand asking herself if she really wanted to do this.

Everyone’s gaze was upon her feeling the rise of tension in the air. Someone cleared their throat breaking her out of her trance. Taking his hand gently, he pulled her up as the priest commenced with the ceremony.

Patricia kept her eyes forward disregarding King Thomas’ gaze that was upon her. Her view was rested by his neck refusing to look him in the eye knowing the possibilities of what it might do to her heart. The cold metal of her wedding ring was slipped on her finger and once she has done the same she felt odd when she felt his cold lips rest upon hers.

The coronation was just as dreadful if not worse than the wedding. Kneeling before a priest that did not practice her religion and her now husband placing a crown upon her head made her feel like the weight of the world now rested on her shoulders.

Pushing back tears, she sat silently as people celebrated at the feast of their wedding. Patricia nursed the cup of wine to make her night more tolerable. King Thomas ran a hand down her arm before lace his fingers with hers. “Is something wrong, my Queen?”

“No, everything is perfect.” She answered.

The king chuckled deeply, “Are we going to begin our lives with lies, my beloved wife? I can see this displeases you.”

“What gave you that idea, my King?” Patricia bit back. Her heated gaze rested upon his blue ones, instead of meeting a set of eyes fueled with anger his only showed amusement.

He pressed his lips upon her hand, “You have a passionate soul. I like that.”

“Tell me, my king what made you compromise a treaty with my father? Azur’deoro has nothing to offer to you except things you already possess. You’re notorious on the battlefield taking any land that reaches your eyes and yet you settled.”

“It seems rumors have spread about me. Do you think I am as greedy and bloodthirsty as what my counterparts have said? If that was true I would have taken the land of Azur’deoro by force. I do not wish any bloodshed on any part, but if a kingdom or village crosses me, I have to reinforce my rule.” The burning gaze sent shivers down her spine.

With a few drinks in her, her mind started to become a bit fuzzy from her intoxication. She leaned closer to her husband’s touch Patricia didn’t know half of the things she was doing. Closing her eyes to relish the touches of her king placed on her she was broken from the daze when her parents announced their presence.

“My King, My Queen. I am happy to see that you both are pleased with one another.” Ava smiled gently giving Patricia a subtle look that she knew quite well. Do not disappoint him was what her eyes were telling her.

King Thomas smiled, his hand giving her upper thigh a firm squeeze. Patricia choked on her wine at the bold move, but kept a slightly composed face. “I have never been more content.” The new queen gripped onto the cloth of the table tightly, eyes remained focused on elsewhere when she felt his fingers dancing around her womanhood, playfully circling the curls of her hair before brushing her sensitive nub.

Biting back a moan, Patricia felt the burning eyes of desire envelope her king. “Excuse us; we must consummate our marriage before the night ends.”

Patricia didn’t know what to expect when those words came out of his mouth, but she did not for see this. Gasping at the men, pulling her to the side before tugging on her clothes only made her struggle; the men around her only laughed as they commented on what she should expect and be expected of as their king’s new wife.

For some reason, she blamed the ale for this, but she looked at her husband hoping he would stop this madness only to see the women were striping him as well. Was this customary? She was dragged into the king’s chambers she assumed seeing the lavished quarters herself. Only in her underdress, she clutched onto her private parts as she was pushed onto the bed.

She saw King Thomas climb into bed after her, the curtains blocking the view of the chatter of the audience around them. Patricia’s eyes flickered all around them not knowing what to become of this. Back in her land, consummating a marriage was sacred and cherished between the couple not the audience that attended their ceremony.

“Patricia.” Her name rolled off his tongue so nicely. It was different than what she was used to, his accent was completely different than hers. Compared to his, hers was rugged and rough, the universal language amongst their land separated the poor from the rich with the kind of accent they carried. Patricia’s skin crawled as his cold hands gently caressed her cheek. His calculating fingers tilted her head in his direction letting her eyes stare deeply into his.

“I will take care of you. Just lay on your back.”

The soft command sent her fuming. Lay on her back? What did she look like? A submissive wench? The chatter of the audience around them only aggravated her as they expressed their impatience of what was taking so long. The king didn’t mind the crowd as only the thin curtain shields them from the lustful eyes of the crowd.

Seeing that she wasn’t going to lie on her back, the king took it into his own hands. Quickly, he placed her flat on her back kissing her cheek and neck softly as he gathered the hem of her dress and pulled it towards her waist. Patricia wiggled uncomfortably, she is meant to give heirs to her husband, she is supposed to be submissive and please her king in every way, but why him?

Tears pooled in her eyes as he entered her. A soft cry came from her lips as the burning sensation rip through her body, she refused to cry, she shouldn’t. She mustn’t and yet she was. Each thrust was met with a cry of pain and a few tears trickled down her cheeks.

She hated him.

She hated him.

She hated him.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she hoped the pain will soon be over and he will take his pleasure somewhere else. Patricia could care less if he could a mistress as long as he didn’t touch her again. When he spilled his seed inside her, a huge part of her prayed that she was with child with his heir so he will not touch her.

That night only proved to be one of many nights of discomfort. Patricia would be tossed and turned in every position letting her mother’s words echo in her mind. This was for the safety of her country. She cannot disobey and rebel against her husband. It will only devastate her country if she refused. She silently cried every night when he had his fill and her heart broke when she watched her family leave her behind.

Not once have they looked back as if they were content with the results.

Now Patricia strolled around the makeshift gardens around the castle, a few knights followed her and one of her handmaidens, Eliza accompanied her. She wanted to be alone, but due to her new status she could not have the peace and quiet she craved her.

When she stopped at the small pond filled with lily pads, she bent down letting the cool water touch her. “My lady…” Eliza froze when she was given a cold harsh look from Patricia. No one was considered a friend around her, she was alone and she didn’t trust easily. The serene aura from the gardens could only substitute the forest she used to enjoy herself in back at home.

Cupping one of the water lilies into her hand, she leaned closer to smell the softness of it. “Why must I be cursed to live such a life? Everything has been so complicated since of late.” Patricia spoke to herself, struggling to understand why she was not with child yet.

If she carried a babe in her belly she will have the excuse of refusing her king, but until then she will have to comply. “I think you have a very blessed life, my lady. Very few women can say they could live in such a comfortable lifestyle.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Patricia answered back, shocking the handmaiden. Eliza only smiled contently before sputtering shyly when she saw the king approaching them.

“M-my lady…”

Patricia looked up to see her husband coming towards her. She thought that when she married she will naturally smile in the presence of her husband, but only formed a frown when she saw hers. Standing on her feet, she bowed her head in a stiff greeting.

“My king.”

“My lady, care to join me in a walk?” He held up his arm for her to take, a woman will comply with his actions and seeing that she struggled to meet up with these expectations she pushed her pride aside to wrap her arm around his. Patricia was thankful to see that her husband did have patience for her; she failed to realize that he didn’t abuse her for her disobedience like most men.

Her lovely mother cared to point that fact out which in turn made her more compliant in bed.

As they continued to walk in the beautiful gardens the silence between the two became awkward. Patricia became the new topic to talk about having said she was the Ice Queen for not reciprocating her husband’s advances. His hand held onto her arm gently as he asked, “Why can you not give me a chance? Have I not proved to be a good husband to you?”

“Why are you so worried about my thoughts of you? I’m only here to give you children, am I not?” Patricia fired back, there was no love between the two and she doubted there ever will be. She made her nights more tolerable by drinking wine or ale before climbing into bed with her husband to blur out her nights if it was possible.

“You’re my wife; I do care what you think of me. I want a companion, Patricia. A friend that I can go to when needed if I only wanted disconnected relations I would have gotten a mistress not a wife.” King Thomas gave her cold hard facts as his blue eyes that haunted her in her dreams gazed at her. “I promised to take care of you, have I not?”

Patricia nodded, “And to be kind to you? I have done many things to please you to only have no reaction. Do you detest me that much?” The silence only proven to valid his comments, he sighed softly before he muttered, “Thy shall not judge me for you do not know me as well as you think you do.”

She had nothing to say to that response. Keeping her lips tightly shut, she continued the stroll around the gardens with her husband with tension still lingering in the air.

King Thomas has proven his kindness and devotion to her over the months. Giving her the attention that she didn’t think she needed until she started to feel ill one afternoon. The king was by her side the whole time tending to her personally, placing the cool rag on her head and making sure the healer checked on her hourly. It proved to be a bit much until she saw the concerned look in his features.

The lines on her forehead increased by tenfold, the lines around his mouth deepened with a small frown on his lips and his eyes showed his worry over her. For the first time in months, she felt her heart tug at how deeply moved she was by his dedication towards her.

Patricia sighed deeply as she has been bedridden for the past few days. Her insanity was maintaining a firm grip on her as she watched the walls closing in on her or that was what she felt like.

“How are you feeling?” The tender touch of her husband reached her leaving her slightly breathless as those death defying eyes looked at her.

Rubbing her stomach, she responded, “Feeling a bit better, but I am having a weird craving for quail eggs.”

“It’s only natural you feel that way. You are with child after all.” His words sent a shot through her heart, panic settled into her being as the one word echoed in her mind. Baby. She was having a baby? Patricia noticed that her husband didn’t look all that surprised as if he knew from the beginning. That kind smile graced his lips ever since she was in this bed and she wondered why he was so happy to see her so ill until now.

It all made sense. Keeping her hand on her stomach, she didn’t expect this feeling. Patricia hoped that she would be feeling relieve or a sense of security that she will now have an excuse for her husband not to touch her, but the magnitude of the situation of her carrying the future heir to the throne added weight on her shoulders.

She now realized how much the people of Plymmon expected of her. His deceased wife was not able to bear him any live children and everyone sees this as a second chance, for their king to leave behind a decent heir that will rule the kingdom one day.

King Thomas noticed the color drain from her face he tried to soothe her the best way possible. “Patricia, it’s alright.”

“How do you know? You have no clue if it is going to be alright. What if I have a girl first? The people will hate me for it! They will cast stones over something so juvenile.”

“They will not throw stones against you. You are their queen, my love. For the babe, it is standard to produce an heir, but there is a possibility it might not be in the cards for me in this realm. But there is no doubt in my mind that we will produce as many heirs and heiresses to the throne to get rid of the doubt you all carry. I’m sure of it.” The confident stare gave her a bit of hope thinking it was being a little too optimistic.

It was odd seeing him in such a light. Especially when all of the horror stories of King Thomas and the wars that he fought in order to gain more land and power. The bloodthirsty demon was not in her presence and she was beginning to doubt if he ever existed.

There were traces of it when they were in bed together, but he always kept it together not going too rough on her thinking he might care her away if he did let go. Patricia muttered a word of gratitude when she felt him kiss her forehead out of such love and tenderness.

Her sickness soon started to deplete after days of bed rest only to be replaced with irritation and constant hunger that she cannot quite diminish with her small trips to the kitchens. Patricia slowly became friendly towards the cooks showing gratitude that they would always keep a corner of food just for her cravings. The workers became less tense around her watching her emotional state change to the extreme.

Some would panic when she would break down over dropping a shoe or her exaggerated complains of her swollen feet. King Thomas was by his wife side whenever he could and gave her the space she needed when she demanded it. Angry pools of brown burned into his before looking away in a huff.

He didn’t know what he did this time, but he patiently waited for her to come around like always. Patricia always wondered why this man had so many sides to him. King Thomas is a mystery indeed.

Rolling onto her side, rubbing the small bump that was beginning to form her wonders were soon vocal making the king quirk a brow. “Why are you so kind and full of understanding? Any other man would have beaten me until submission, but you only show love instead. Are you trying to win my affections, Your Grace?”

“Thomas.” Patricia peered up as he heard him breathe out again. “Refer to me as Thomas. I am your husband after all.”

She knew that calling him by his first name will prove a level of intimacy that they lacked in their relationship if that is what everyone calls it. Patricia did feel a hole in their marriage and she was beginning to worry over it. It may be the hormones raging inside of her body, but her heart softens at the sight of him.

“Thomas.” She whispered, a small smile tainted her lips. She was fond of the way it escaped her lips so easily. The queen watched as her king reached for the lemon cake that was on the blanket underneath them. Breaking a small piece he held it against her mouth, she gladly ate the small piece savoring the sweet treat. This was one of the many ways Thomas has been wooing her.

The countless intimate meals, the rides out in the small fields outside the castle walls and she surprisingly opened up about her love for archery. He then took her to the training grounds for her to practice whenever she see fit. Happiness soon began to grow between the two especially Patricia.

Never in her wildest dreams think that she would be with someone that she detested for the longest of time. Her silver band glimmered in the sunlight reminding her of the days of anger that was fleeing from her. The display of kindness, compassion, and admiration for her only proved to open her heart. He slowly had her heart and it didn’t take a fool to notice the affection that arises between them.

Until Thomas told her grave news, to her at least. “I made an alliance with the House of Cohen and to celebrate they will come feast with us. I expect you to hold the upmost respect for our guests, I won’t you tarnish the kingdom with your childish manners.”

He immediately silenced her without her getting a word in. He knew her family has a rivalry with the Cohen and clan, Thomas had to convince them for months to consider this alliance. The king is not going to jeopardize this treaty because his wife couldn’t stand for it and stomped her feet.

Patricia’s blood went cold, the House of Cohen always made her skin crawl. Those heathens were nothing, but scum on the bottom of her shoes and now they were going to walk into her kingdom prancing around like they rule the world. She disliked the treaty and she made it clear when she stood by her king with the most distasteful expression on her features.

Turning her head away from the head of the house, her husband excused her behavior for pregnancy hormones. The Head, Melakai only laughed, “It has been proven a woman does not have control over her emotions when she is with child. Not to worry, all is forgiven.”

Her head twisted his way, giving him a deadly glare. How dare he mock her! Placing a hand over her belly she settled their unruly child before she was given permission to excuse herself. She didn’t hear what her husband had to say for that matter because she knew better. All men thought the same at this day and age; women were inferior and were given by a set of standards to live by.

Patricia had a permanent frown upon her features observing the unruly family that has been overstaying their welcome. She expected her husband to say something, but all he did was laugh at their sexist jokes, rumble around like a couple of rowdy men and drink to their hearts content.

Her handmaiden in tow, she quickly walked down the hall to avoid all contact from the Cohen family. Especially Piers Cohen who showed nothing, but hungry eyes when he gazed at her, her skin crawled at the memory. Those memories were erased when she walked onto the gardens. The same gardens that Thomas had designed for her when he first tried to impress her; not once has she showed gratitude, yet he knew. It is the only place to find her when she buries herself in solace.

A small relaxing sigh escape her lips when she dip her feet into the fountain not having a care in the world. It didn’t matter if it was unethnical. She is queen of this realm and this was her piece of property that she held close to her heart and is solely for her.

That is until she heard someone enter her garden.

“I’d said I would be surprised to see the Queen of Plymmon portraying such an ungodly thing, yet again your King is married to a barbaric woman.”

Patricia glare threw daggers at Piers; he portrayed the perfect definition of a prince. The tousled black ink locks cascading down his tan face, his plush pink lips grinned slyly before he mockingly bowed at her. “My apologies, your Grace, I’m P-”

“I know who you are.” She interrupted him so quickly. His voice just made her sick to her stomach and her babe had to agree.

Piers chuckled grimly as he took his steps forward making her handmaiden blush furiously at the proximity. He came rather close almost too close for comfort. Patricia kept her feet planted on the ground refusing to budge, to show that he has unnerved her. That sickening smile still plastered on that devilish face as he twirled a lock of her hair on his finger. “Yes, I am aware, but it is courtesy to introduce ourselves, my dear. I guess, your father never really taught you anything. Not shocking considering you are not exactly royalty.”

A growl emitted from her throat, slapping his hand away from her hair. “You’re the animal here, Cohen. I am a queen and you shall treat me as such.”

The prince pursed his lips into consideration before he laughed. “Only by default. If it wasn’t for your king you wouldn’t have the power you have now. Azur’deoro is a pity country that cannot stand on its own without Plymmon. Why do you think your father threw you into the arms of the man that killed more than half of his army? He did it to save himself from humiliating defeat, not that he didn’t.”

All of the humanity left her as she lunged towards the surprised prince. Her nails digging into his expensive clothes before pulling him down to the ground before expertly bringing the knife she had stashed on her calf to his neck. With a tight jaw she hissed, “Listen carefully you low of a man. I will not be insulted by a mere prince who has nothing to do other than fucking everything with two legs. Do you not think I have anything against you? I have heard the rumors of your countless lovers from all aspects and I will gladly slash your throat if it is necessary.”

Piers lifted his head only to be pushed back down with the blade being pressed against his flesh. He winced at the knick she provided and a small smirk came upon her. “If you think I haven’t killed I have. Animals and humans are exactly alike-”

“What are you doing, just standing there? Get this barbarian off of me!” Piers yelled at the handmaiden, red in the face from the yelling he has been doing.

“I will show you how barbaric I can become.” Digging the blade even closer to his skin, she had the urge to slash, to hurt him like he had hurt her. To take everything he had so she can live peacefully.

“Patricia.” A soft cooing voice could be heard from beside her, a gentle hold came upon her wrist that was holding the blade. She didn’t realize she was shaking until then, the blue eyes of her husband brought her back as she looked up at him, completely lost. “Patricia.”

“T-thomas?”

His eyes showed kindness and concern, “Yes, love. It’s me. I’m here.” He cupped her cheek with one hand as his other slowly grabbed the knife from her hand and cast it aside before bringing her close. Kissing the top of her head, he glared at the fuming prince on the grass. “If you ever come near my wife again, I will behead you regardless of our treaty. The lot of you will leave by morning.”

Turning his attention to the most important person in his life, he leaned closer to her asking if she is alright. Patricia nodded her head as he kissed her forehead giving her that reassurance. “How’s the babe?” He pressed his hand against her swollen belly.

“Okay. Thomas…I’m-”

“No need to apologize. I don’t know what happened, but whatever it is I will help you through it.” Thomas is more than understanding than the ruthless killer he is portrayed as most of the time. Patricia leaned against him in gratitude that he didn’t press for answers only gave her comfort.

Through that event of time, Thomas and Patricia happily watched the House of Cohen depart the next morning and throughout the time they got to know each other even more. Patricia’s belly growing even bigger and so did her anxiousness. The pressure of having a son is beyond unimaginable, the jokes and predictions from within the castle only made her grimace.

“I want a baby girl.” Patricia looked at Thomas with awe. A laugh erupted from his lips, “Don’t look so surprised. I’ve shared my interest in having a girl before.”

“Well, yes to comfort me, but I didn’t think you would want a baby girl first.”

A shadow cast over Thomas as he looked at the belly of his pregnant wife, they will soon have their child within the next few weeks. Rubbing her belly lovingly he had the softest of smiles, “All I want is a child. A healthy beautiful child…with you, my beautiful wife.” His eyes flickered up to Patricia’s face as she smiled lightly. She has heard the stories of the his previous wife and how they failed to produce an heir or heiress.

Pressing foreheads, it dawned on the queen that she could have a life here, a happy one. She didn’t have to be damned for life.

After that conversation, Patricia only smiled when she delivered a beautiful baby girl. Thomas was over the moon as he cradled the healthy baby girl in his arms. She made a small promise to herself to have her family as happy as they can possibly can and seeing the beaming smile upon Thomas’ face as he kissed Ava’s forehead she knew it was possible.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hoped you enjoyed your birthday one-shot :D