Right Here

why can't you ever see what's in front of you?

A sigh passed my lips as they curled into a smile. The chime of a familiar alert echoed through my bedroom signaling that my best friend needed something. Quickly I finished my mascara before making my way over to my phone. The message was simple, much like my best friend. I need your help.

Deep down I had a feeling that this would happen, especially when he told me his grandiose plans for the night with Sarah. David was not a grandiose plans kind of guy. He was simple, sweet and carefree. It was painfully obvious that he consulted his teammates as what he should do for this girl and they clearly steered him in the wrong direction.

After a quick glance in the mirror with a slight nod of approval, I slipped into my shoes, grabbed my keys, coat, phone and clutch and headed out the door. As usual, it was Ellie to the rescue.

I locked my apartment and made the five-second trek across the hall to David’s. I pushed the door open and announced my presence. “I must have been a little cretin in a former life,” I deadpanned as I walked further into his apartment. I could smell the odd combinations of scents and wondered what the hell they told him to make for this girl.

This was a job for no heels. I kicked out of them and put the rest of my stuff on the end table just inside the apartment. I pulled an elastic out of my clutch and placed it on my wrist. When it came to David in the kitchen, I always had to be prepared for any level of damage.

“You’re a little cretin now,” David shot back as I walked toward the kitchen. He had his trademark grin on his face as he stood in front of the entrance to the room. It must be bad if he’s blocking my entire view of the kitchen.

I raised my eyebrows at him. “Watch it,” I shook my head. “I’m the only thing standing between you and a nice dinner for what’s her name? Sarah?”

As expected, David changed the subject. His eyes traveled up and down me, something that made my cheeks flush a hot red like they always did. “You look beautiful. Did you have plans tonight? Damn it Ellie, you should have said something.”

“I do have plans tonight but they start in forty-five minutes, so step aside amateur and let me work some magic for you because based on the smell your kitchen is emitting, you’re going to need it,” I shook my head again and tried to push past his large frame.

David laughed. “I like how you still think you can move me.”

“That’s one, remember the rules,” I smirked and poked his side. My best friend squirmed and let me by.

My jaw dropped. The kitchen was a disaster. I turned to look at him to silently question how such a mess could happen at the hands of one individual, but then I had to remember, my best friend is completely incompetent in the kitchen. Unless it’s breakfast; somehow the man can manage eggs, bacon and toast but heaven forbid he be capable of anything else.

“How? What did you…? Is that supposed to be…?” I didn’t know where to start. I thought this was going to be a simple fix; I’d show him how to do something and be on my merry way. But this was beyond anything I could fathom. I turned to look at him as I ran my hands through my hair. “Who suggested this?”

David shoved his hands into his pockets and shrugged, “Kes and Bieksa.”

I shook my head. I should have known; it was always those two suggesting things to David when he didn’t need their advice. He didn’t realize how appealing his innocence with girls was. I was certain that if he had of just told Sarah that he wanted to make dinner with her, she would have jumped at the opportunity. Instead, he listened to the two little shits and offered to surprise her with dinner.

“When is she supposed to be here?” I asked as I twisted my hair up and tied it back. I went over to where David kept the aprons – a cute housewarming gift his grandmother gave him when he came out to Vancouver. I looped one over my head and tied it on. This was going to be a messy situation.

David looked at the clock then back at me. He smiled that innocent little smile that usually got him out of trouble. “In forty minutes.”

Rolling my eyes, I tossed the second apron at him. “Okay let’s get moving. Now what are you trying to make here?”

He walked over to where a piece of paper was covered in something, I didn’t know what it was covered in nor did I want to know. “Um, a green salad with shrimp fettuccine alfredo and garlic bread.”

“No, you’re not making garlic bread that’s practically an invitation to not get a goodnight kiss David, come on get your head in the game.”

David’s cheeks flushed a dark red color as he avoided eye contact with me. He always got so uncomfortable talking about girls or guys with me in any regard. It was a topic that he preferred to keep quiet.

Somehow he managed to get all the right ingredients, he just did not know how to put them all together. Everything was fresh – the shrimp, the French bread, the vegetables for the salad – he thought of everything and even had the bottle of white wine chilling in the wine bucket. Whoever captures David’s heart is going to be one lucky lady, even if he doesn’t always succeed, he’ll always get an A for effort.

“Okay, so what do you know how to do for this?” I changed the focus back to the dinner. The last thing tonight needed was my best friend over thinking absolutely everything about the night.

He walked closer to the stove, “I can cook the pasta and the shrimp I think? As long as you’re here it should be good.” David wrapped an arm around my shoulders and tugged me into him. He dropped a soft kiss to my temple and smiled. “Thank you for coming to help me.”

I turned to look at him, “You know I would do anything for you. Now start that pasta and I’ll look after your salad and bread. We’ve got a deadline here Booth.” I laughed in attempt to ease the seriousness between the two of us.

Of course, David had absolutely every vegetable you could possibly want in a salad to slice, dice and prepare. An entire head of lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, radishes and a citrus vinaigrette dressing – really, it was the perfect compliment to the main dish he was cooking.

“Are you sure this isn’t just an act?” I questioned as I continued to slice up some carrots.

David stopped and put down the spoon he was using to stir the alfredo sauce in the saucepan. “What do you mean?”

I gestured towards him. “You seem to be doing just fine cooking the sauce and the pasta. I think you could handle chopping up vegetables - I mean look at what you do in the offseason. Why did you need my help? This isn’t exactly a complex dinner.”

My lips were pursed as I looked away from my best friend. I really needed a drink and I shouldn’t be here right now. I had to stop doing this to myself; I had to stop being so available to David.

Every time I think I’m fine with how our relationship is – best friends, nothing more – I always find a way to be disappointed in the situation. My mind always wonders back to years ago, when we first met and I was really into David but he didn’t get it. He saw me as a friend and after a while I learned to embrace the fact that I had that role in his life.

It didn’t mean that it didn’t still hurt, especially when I had to help him with his dates.

He shrugged. “You calm me down. I was getting really nervous and I’m a lot calmer with you around. Is that so bad? I like cooking with you.”

I shook my head. I focused on the vegetables and watched out of the corner of my eye as David turned his attention back to the shrimp. He had already drained the pasta and mixed in the sauce. He was almost done the shrimp and mixed the three components in a bowl before putting it in the oven to stay warm.

The goal was to finish this salad as quickly as possible. David could cut his own damn bread. I didn’t care if it wasn’t perfect, this Sarah girl didn’t deserve perfect.

My chopping must have been getting louder and more aggressive because David came behind me and wrapped his arms around me. He placed his hand over mine and took the knife from me. He turned me around and put his hands on my shoulders, “Are you okay?”

“Perfectly fine,” I looked up at him through my eyelashes but refused to tilt my head to make full eye contact with him.

He dropped his chin to his chest, “Ellie I know when you’re lying to me.”

“I’m not lying okay? Can I just finish these vegetables for you? I’m going to have to fix my hair and make it so that I don’t smell like fettuccine tonight.” The last thing I needed was to get upset just before my date. Not every guy is as understanding of a girl having a guy best friend and mine has made me cry more often than he knows.

“Ellie,” his voice was soft and soothing, like only David could do and it pissed me off.

I tilted me head and looked up at him, “What David? What do you want me to say?”

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. Of course it was now that I noticed his crisp white and blue plaid shirt and dark slacks. David always looked good and it always looked like he needed zero effort to do so. His voice was soft, “Tell me the truth.”

“You want the truth?” He nodded. “Okay, I’ll tell you the truth. I can’t do this anymore.”

David’s eyes widened. “Do what?”

“This!” I gestured around the room and between the two of us. “I have a date tonight with this really great guy but what am I doing? I’m here, with you, helping you with your date. It’s not fair to me.”

“But-” David tried to say.

I wouldn’t let him. “No, you wanted the truth so you have to let me finish. It’s not fair for me to help you all the time and see you when you’re the person who makes me the happiest. How do you think I feel when you want me to help you be happy with someone else?”

Tears were building up in my eyes and threatening to fall, but I refused to let them as I blinked furiously. I would not cry in front of David. I could not cry because of him again.

“Ellie, I didn’t–”

I cut him off, “What? You didn’t know? Everyone knows David. Everyone, except for you because you’re just too oblivious to even notice.” I pulled the apron up and over my head and shoved it into David’s chest. “I’m going now because I can’t be here any more. Hope you enjoy your date.”

It was one of the hardest things to do, to walk out on David but I had to do it. I had to stop being so available to him when he couldn’t do the same for me. No longer could I hold the tears back, they were falling down my cheeks at a steady rate as I struggled to put on my heels for the five second trek across the hall. I was in no condition to go out tonight, I could always call and re-schedule with Andrew. He would understand, unlike David he kind of understood me.

One more shoe, just one more shoe, is all I kept saying to myself as I grabbed my clutch, phone, keys and coat. A shaky sigh passed my lips as I finally got my foot into the three-inch heel and turned to open the door.

David grasped my wrist and held me in place, “Ellie.” His voice was soft.

I couldn’t look at him. “What?” My voice was shaky and hesitant. I knew that I should just go and that I shouldn’t listen to him, but part of me wanted to know what he had to say.

“Ellie, you know you make me happy too, right?”

My lip started to quiver. I didn’t need this right now. I didn’t need the ‘you’re my best friend’ talk right now.

“And I wouldn’t be where I am right now if it weren’t for you. You’re one of the most important people in my life and I can’t imagine my life without you. If I’m doing something wrong, please just tell me.”

I turned to look at him. It was obvious that there was mascara and other makeup running down my face. “You don’t see what’s right in front of you David. I’m right in front of you.”

He raised a confused eyebrow at me. “What do you mean?”

“Oh my god David Jonathan Booth! I’m right in front of you. I’m in love with you and I have been for years but you’ve just been too stupid to notice. I’ve tried everything but you still don’t get it. It’s just not fair to me anymore… I can’t keep doing this.”

David swallowed loudly. “You’re in love with me?”

I smacked him in the stomach. “Yes you idiot. I have been for years. Why else would I move from Florida to Vancouver? I hoped that maybe you would get it but you never did and obviously you never would have if I didn’t say something.”

“Ellie?”

“What David?” I stared up at him. I didn’t expect much from him, certainly not a declaration of feelings like I just did. That wasn’t David’s style. He was simple.

“I, um,” he struggled to say. “Oh screw it.” David closed the gap between the two of us and gently pressed his lips to mine. It was completely innocent and calculated, just like David. His hands went to my lower back and held me close to him. I dropped everything but my phone and managed to hook my arms around his shoulders.

Just as I thought he would deepen the kiss, David broke it but continued to hold me close to him. “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“Why?”

“I’m sorry I never noticed. I should have noticed. I should have realized how you felt, you’re my best friend and I care about you more than I show.”

I pursed my lips together. “David…”

“No, Ellie, you’re right. You’ve been in front of me and I think deep down I did notice but I didn’t want to mess things up… You’re so important to me.”

A shaky sigh passed my lips once more. I just wanted him to get to the point but that was never David’s style, he was never straight to the point.

He licked his lips, “I think, no, I know I’m in love with you too. I just didn’t realize that the love of my life has been here the whole time. Can you forgive me?”

“Always David, always,” I went up on my toes to press my lips to his once more. It only took six years, but I finally got the courage to say that I’m in love with my best friend and he said it back. It was the best Valentine’s Day yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
This would not even be close to possible without the help and support of my best friend Lauren. She's ten thousand kinds of awesome and always manages to pull me through the hole when I'm stuck.