Agent Chrome

-----

"Agent Chrome, come in." Agent Platinum spoke into the microphone.

"Hear you loud and clear, Platinum. I'm heading back to base now. Tell Gold and Sliver I'll be home before dinner. Happy new--" Agent Chrome's voice was cut off, replaced by only the sound of machine gun fire in the distance.

"Agent Chrome?" Silence. Gunshots.

"Chrome?!" More silence. More gunshots.

"David!" A loud click ended the communication feed.

"Time of death, 5:29 PM, January first, 2107." Agent Chrome's vital monitor read out. Platinum pushed herself away from her desk, sighing heavily and trying to hold back sobs. She was really going to miss Chrome. They were partnered up since their first day of training, twelve years ago. They'd become inseparable since then. They'd even both defected together, running hand in hand away from the life they thought would consume them. They'd gone into hiding together, even started the organization together with bits and pieces of discarded technology. Together with Gold and Silver, they'd begun the largest Mental State Augmentation Draught business in all the 46 states. But now he was gone. She would have to alert the others about this. The Western and Northern division would have to know, but she wouldn't be able to give the news to them. She didn't know if she could stand Ruby, Diamond, and Emerald being sad, or even Obsidian, Granite, Scoria, or Tuff. It was a while before Gold and Silver came to check on her. They'd been preparing the goods for the rest of the week.

"Where's Chrome?" Gold asked.

"I thought he'd be home by now." His twin sister Silver added.

"Dead." Platinum choked out from her place on the floor. She'd slipped out of her chair without noticing during her reminiscing.

"It's okay, Platinum, we'll be okay." Silver grabbed her hand, helping her back to her feet. They joined in a group hug, deciding to go and eat before informing the others of their second-in-command. Platinum was now the sole leader of the million dollar emotion potion business. As they silently consumed their nutrition, the holograph spread the word of the death of David McKay, drug dealer extraordinare. They mentioned that the rest of his crew, going by the names of Gold, Silver, and Platinum, were still yet to be found. They never did get that Platinum was the leader. Then again, she was more behind the scenes. Chrome was the frontman, the face plastered on every corner. Now, Platinum would be at risk too. No more hiding in the shadow of her understudy.

"Gold, tell the others. Silver, get the supplies. Bring extra Happy, Love, and Fear. Those were the top sellers last week." Platinum commanded. Chrome's death was a thing of the past now. She had cried first for him, then for herself, and she had sampled a bit of Forget and Calm. She had to move on. There were soldiers and businessmen waiting to feel something, and she needed to provide for them. After all, how else would they survive?