Oh, Saint Nick

Fourteen

I smiled and watched as Nicky and Nell effortlessly maneuvered and interacted with Evelyn while still serving customers. They handles her easily and all three of them seemed to have a rhythm worked out. Customers didn’t even seem to mind that constant chatter of a five-year-old girl.

“Would you hate me if I moved away?” I asked Dee, turning around in my seat to watch her back.

“I shouldn’t influence your decision.” Dee responded, not the answer I was looking for at all. I frowned at her back.

“Would Evelyn hate me if I moved away?” I asked her, she responded vaguely again.

“Would Erin?” I asked much quieter, resting my chin on my propped up hands. Dee sighed and finally stopped stirring to turn around and look at me.

“You have dropped your whole life to become everything for that little girl. Erin and Ethan could never hate you for that. If they are watching you from above then they are nothing but proud and grateful.” I glanced skywards and almost asked if Dee really thought that heaven existed and they were sitting amongst the clouds watching me. But I wasn’t in the mood for a religious debate. “As for me and Evelyn if you truly think that moving back to Australia would help everyone, yourself included then do that. I would never hate you for doing what you think is right and neither would Evelyn.”

“But either way it’s still my decision.” I frowned, still not reaching the answer I was hoping someone would give me. “I don’t know if I can make this decision. It’s huge.” I tried to reason with Dee who just snorted and shook her grey hair at me.

“When you found out that your niece had become an orphan you made the huge decision of taking her in without second guessing it. You’re good at making the big decision Emma, you just have to realise that you’ve already decided.” She pointed her wooden spoon at me before burying it back in the batter. I groaned at her answers that seemed to only create more questions.

“Harry!” I turned in my seat and watched Evelyn race out from behind the counter to what I presume was Harry. I couldn’t see him from where I was sitting.

“That boy is hanging around quite a bit.” I rolled my eyes without Dee seeing. “Have you told him about your big decision.” I narrowed my eyes at her and shook my head.

“Why would I need to?” I asked, confused. She shot me a disbelieving look.

“Because, as I just said, that boy has been hanging around quite a bit.” I didn’t understand her implication but allowed her to shoo me out of the kitchen to the front of the shop just as Harry introduced Evelyn to his Mum. My eyes widened and I half considered taking a step back into the kitchen when Harry’s eyes met mine. He smiled and waved me over to them both.

I nervously walked towards them. It was just Harry’s mother; Harry and I weren’t dating so there was no need whatsoever to be nervous. Except Harry was taking me out on Friday night and I had no idea if that meant we were seeing each other. I think I needed to vomit.

“Emmalyn this is my Mum, Ann.” I smiled at Harry’s Mum, the family resemblance practically screamed and danced in your face making it known that this woman gave birth to this man. Erin would have hated that they looked so much a like when Evelyn shared barely any of her own looks.

“Lovely to meet you Emmalyn.” She smiled sweetly, Evelyn was already situated on her hip and I couldn’t help but laugh at how easily people fell in love with her. “It’s good to finally meet the two girls who have stolen my Harry away.” I instantly felt guilty. I hadn’t even realised that by Harry spending every day with us he was spending less time at home and I’m sure Ann was looking forward to having her son home constantly over the holidays. She seemed to see my guilt and quickly tried to remedy the situation.

“Not that it’s a bad thing. I’m glad that he’s making friends.” Harry groaned while Ann and I laughed at his embarrassment.

“Mum also wanted to come here and try to weasel that brownie recipe out of you.” Harry offered, pulling on Evelyn’s hair, smiling.

“Sorry but that recipe goes to the grave with me.” Ann pouted and looked so much like her son it was almost creepy.

“I honestly love them so much I would pay you for that recipe.” Ann offered, she seemed only half serious. “What if offer baby sitting for free?” She continued a hopeful look in her face while bouncing Evelyn in her arms. Evelyn squealed and clung onto her neck.

“Sorry but no deal.” I grinned. “Honestly can’t tell you it at all. It’s my ultimate secret.”

“Guess I’ll have to resort to spying on you then.” Ann sighed dramatically making Evelyn laugh. “Harry get to it.” She nudged Harry playfully, I laughed and held onto his arm so he couldn’t escape into the kitchen.

“Did you want to take some with you now?” I offered. “See if you can pull it apart and see what is in it?”

“I’ll eat them before I get home but sure.” Ann shrugged and I moved to the display cabinet and filled up a container of them. Harry moved to get his wallet but I shook my head and insisted they take it.

“I owe Harry so much for looking after Evelyn these last few days so really it’s on the house. I insisted, swapping Evelyn out of Ann’s arms for the box of brownies. She hesitantly took them.

“Well if you wanted I wouldn’t mind taking the little one for a day as payment for these then. God knows when Harry or Gem are going to have kids, it would be nice to play Grandma for the day.” Ann offered and I smiled and thanked her politely. It wasn’t really a realistic idea for me right now, handing Evelyn off like that but it was nice of her to offer. Harry seemed happy nonetheless.

“We better head off and let you both get back to work.” Evelyn and I both said goodbye to Ann before turning back to Harry. Harry took Evelyn and hugged her tightly before tickling her then setting her on the ground to run off. I laughed at them both.

“How are you today?” Harry asked me when we were alone, in the middle of the shop. I shrugged and glanced towards the kitchen where I had just been chatting with Dee.

“I’m better then yesterday.” I offered to him, he nodded in understanding.

“I should head off but call me if you want to talk.” He stepped closer and I smiled gently up at him, nodding.

“Sure, I would like that.” He smiled and only hesitated a second before pulling me into a hug. I stiffened for a moment before burying my nose in his neck and taking a deep breath, my arms coming up to wrap around his waist.

The hug only lasted a minute but it was enough to warm my cheeks and set my heart racing.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I laughed at Harry’s cheesy grin when he didn’t even try to pretend that he wouldn’t see me everyday.

“Bye Harry.” I said gently, waving and watching him go, receiving a quick flash of teeth before shutting the door behind him.

I headed back to the kitchen and sighed remembering. Big decision.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey so this is a really crappy update and I'm not happy with it. But I received some bad news today so I just wasn't in the mood for writing but I wanted to update for you all. Hopefully I will feel more like writing tomorrow. But anyway I'm sorry!