Oh, Saint Nick

Twelve

The doorbell rang and Evelyn’s feet hit the floor hard. She bolted past my bedroom door and skidded down the hallway. Cursing I flicked the strap on my shoes and ran after her.

“Evelyn May, what have I told you about answering the door.” I yelled out to her too late hearing her voice already chatting.

“Its just Harry, Aunty.” Evelyn rolled her eyes and tugged Harry into the apartment by his hand. Her eyes were wide and happy. “Here for your date.” She teased, I blushed and threw a quick glance at Harry, and he smiled in return.

“You look great.” He motioned and I flushed darker, my eyes turning down to stare at my black dress and my hands came up to smooth it down properly.

“Uh thanks. You look great too.” I replied eyeing his more dressed appearance, a button up dress shirt paired with tight jeans. He came across like he was only half trying to look more than casual except his shiny boots gave away the effort he actually put into the outfit. “I know you came here to technically pick me up to walk across the hall but I still have to drop Evelyn off at the babysitter’s, do you just want to meet me in there?” Harry shook his head at me immediately.

“No, I’ll come with you.” Harry insisted. I eyed him strangely before accepting and grabbing my bag and Evelyn’s bag from the counter.

“Okay well lets go.” I said awkwardly waiting for both of them to step out of the apartment so I could lock it. There was talking and music coming from Mason and Dylan’s apartment but we walked right by it towards the stairs and down two levels. I watched and listened as Evelyn held onto Harry’s hand and chatted with him about her day. How she had apparently made biscuits all by herself, I shook my head at Harry from behind her while Harry faked enthusiasm and surprise with her. I knocked on Jennies’ door and Evelyn cut herself off, frowning.

Jennie opened the door with an excited Jonah on her hip. I was expecting Evelyn to run straight in but she hesitated and clung onto Harry’s hand. He looked at me worriedly.

“We’re just going to be upstairs sweetie.” I knelt down next to her. “If you need me at all you just tell Jennie and I’ll be right down to get you. Promise.” I told her, grabbing onto her other hand. Jonah confusedly sat on Jennie’s hip obviously wondering why Evelyn wasn’t as happy as he was.

“What ‘bout Harry?” She asked softly. I looked between her and Harry confused.

“Well Harry’s going to be with me.” I told her, unsure at what she was asking. Evelyn pouted further and I could see her hand tighten around Harry’s. He knelt down beside me and smiled at her sweetly.

“Same goes with me, if you want me Jennie can call and I’ll be right down.” I tried not to laugh at the utter astonishment on Jennie’s face while she watched Harry; Jonah seemed to be slipping from her arms without notice.

“Will you come pick me up with Aunty?” Evelyn asked Harry, rubbing her eyes and I thought for a worrying moment that she would start to cry.

“Of course I will. Can’t let you go to bed without a goodnight kiss.” Harry acted like her assumption offended him. She smiled brightly after his promise and pressed a kiss to both our cheeks before heading straight past Jennie. Jennie let Jonah out of her arms and ran in after her. I stayed kneeling on the floor for a minute, almost receiving whiplash from her sudden mood change.

“Right well you have my number and Mason and Dylan’s so if anything goes wrong you can come get us and well if no one is answering you could probably call Mrs. John’s that’s next door to me but if she’s in bed she won’t answer so then maybe…” Jennie cut me off with a laugh.

“Or I could just run up and get you.” She teased, I glared in response not appreciating her laughter. “We’ll be fine, I’ve done this how many times now? Go have fun for a change.” She shut the door in my face before I could get another word. Harry chuckled from next to me and I turned to him. I watched his features change from laughter to a small smile; his lips only slightly turned up but his eyes still spoke of bright happiness.

“What?” Harry asked softly and I realised what he actually promised Evelyn. She had requested him to be in her life and he offered so much more.

“You’re going to give her a goodnight kiss?” I asked him unsure; I didn’t want him promising her anything he couldn’t keep. He shrugged and ducked his head so his eyes didn’t meet mine.

“If you don’t mind?” He asked, unsure. “I don’t have to.”

“Do you want to?” He nodded and hesitated before taking a step closer and grabbing my hand.

“I really do want to.” He smiled and I slowly smiled back, squeezing his hand and letting our hands drop between us before slowly leading my way from the door back towards the stairs. I just hoped Harry understood the implications of becoming a semi-permanent figure in a child’s life. They became hard to shake off after they’ve accepted you into it.

“So how many people will you know tonight?” I asked Harry curiously. I wasn’t sure if it was going to be school reunion type of event or just a more casual party vibe with people that not everyone knew. I just really didn’t want to be the only one who didn’t know people.

“I think a few people from school are going but I’m not really sure. I don’t talk to a lot of people from school. Just as small few.” I looked at Harry questioningly. “People kind of change when you become famous. Everyone always said that fame would change me but the people around you do too. They became more interested in your life then you. You kind of just keep those people at a distance.” Harry shrugged when I frowned.

“That must suck.” I supplied and he grinned at me softly, resting a hand on the small of my back and guided me up to Mason and Dylan’s apartment door.

“Sometimes, but then every once in a while you meet really great people who just seem to click into your life flawlessly, no energy or worry needed and you like being around them.” I flushed as Harry’s eyes bore into mine.

“Oh sorry am I interrupting.” A jumped and clutched a hand over my chest at Mason smiling wickedly in the doorway. Neither of us had noticed him open the door for us. Harry laughed and reached out to cuff his head before he pulled me into a hug.

“Evelyn go to Jennie fine?” Mason inquired, shutting the door behind us. I glanced at Harry before shrugging at Mason.

“Eventually.” I conceded. “Jonah seemed happy to have her though.” Mason sighed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, Harry’s hand still rested comfortably on my back.

“We should really start preparing their wedding. Do you think Evelyn will still be into elephants when she is older? I was thinking of having them ride into the reception on an elephant.” I laughed at Mason’s suggestion and pushed his arm of my shoulder.

“No one is marrying my niece anytime soon. I don’t get how cute your son is when he shares his lollies.” Mason pouted at me but I ignored him easily, letting Harry lead me into the living room where most people seemed to be chatting. The doorbell rung before Mason could introduce us, he waved us off and headed back down the hallway.

“Come on I’ll introduce you to my friends,” Harry dropped his hand so it grabbed mine and lightly pulled me through people, he waved to a few and I smiled politely. We stopped in front of a small group of people and Harry proudly pulled me against his side while beaming at them.

“Em this is Spencer,” Harry gestured at the short curly hair boy. “Oliver,” The boy with bright baby blue eyes. “Bree,” the girl that Oliver had his arms wrapped tightly around. “And Helen.” I smiled at the blonde haired girl, her heels made her as tall as Harry and her smile less genuine, she seemed more interested in drinking then any conversation happening around. “And everyone this is Emmalyn, the one who…” Helen cut in before Harry could finish.

“The one who owns the coffee shop that sells miracle brownies that taste like Christmas Day gave birth to Easter. Or the one who has the cutest little niece who has large puppy dog eyes. Or the one that you have practically spent with or thinking about since you met her. The one who’s hair…”

“I think she gets it.” Spencer cut in over Helen’s little monologue. She smiled viciously in return and took a sip from her drink. I knew I was a dark red and imagined that Harry was probably the same. It was too awkward and tense to even look at him. His hand did tighten around mine, however, like he was afraid I would pull away. I was just too shocked that he would tell his friends about me let alone that much.

“Did you happen to bring any brownies?” Oliver asked me hopefully, Harry snorted.

“Uh no? Sorry?” Oliver frowned and Bree jokingly rubbed his back.

“Harry praises them so high you will probably be disappointed anyway.” Spencer tried to comfort Oliver and I shot him an offended look.

“Excuse me? Come into the shop and I’ll give you one. You will not be disappointed.” I glared at Spencer who held his hands up in defense. Harry groaned from next to me.

“Well this introduction went swimmingly.” Bree commented it seemed she was trying to stop herself from laughing. I smiled and Helen snorted in response. Before long the six of us were outright laughing, Harry’s hand now resting on my waist while he leant his head on my shoulder, his short puffs of air tickling my neck.

“Ah good you are all getting along.” Dylan appeared next to us, looking pleased. “Harry was worried that you wouldn’t.” Harry sighed quietly from next to me like he wanted to remove us both from his friends, immediately. I laughed and patted his arm reassuringly.

“It’s sweet I promise. Not creepy whatsoever.” I told him truthfully. I was touched that Harry had talked about me that much. It made me realise that my feelings were definitely returned which just made our relationship that much scarier. But I was used to scary and unknown situations. I had mastered them all in the last five months. I glanced at my phone briefly making sure I hadn’t missed any messages or calls. It was clear.

“Here have a drink.” Dylan shoved a glass of some type of alcohol in my hand from the nearest table. I eyed him and the drink wearily. “You need to let go and stop worrying so much.” He gestured at my phone subtly. I glared but took a sip of the drink anyway. It was strong. Strong enough to almost send me into a coughing fit but I held back, not wanting to seem like I couldn’t handle my alcohol at twenty years of age.

“So you and Harry huh?” I glanced up at Bree surprised as she maneuvered around the circle we had made to get to me. Harry had fallen into conversation with the others and was paying us no attention. They seemed to be talking about something or someone form school.

“Me and Harry?” I questioned her. She waggled her eyebrows and gestured between us.

“A thing, together, sex, what?” I laughed at Bree’s nosiness.

“None of the above.” I offered her, she nodded in understanding, resting a hand on my bicep and gestured to Oliver.

“I know that stage. We danced around each other for months until I asked him out. Sometimes you just can’t wait for the man to get the courage. Us twenty-first century girls need to step up and take our time asking.” I laughed with her while Helen left the boys to stand with us.

“So, Harry said you look after your niece?” She quirked an eyebrow at me and flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder. If she was trying to intimidate me it was working. I nodded at her. “I guess that would be hard to manage, the amount of costs to feed and look after her, taker her to places while managing your own bills for living expenses. I don’t know how you afford it.” I rolled my eyes at her understanding what she was implying. It was nothing that I hadn’t known people would think about me anyway.

“Actually I was left with a successful business with my sister which is still flourishing. Our sales have slightly dropped since she’s been gone but we’ve picked up recently and are still making enough money to afford everything and make a lovely profit. Also my sister and her husband have left quite a hefty sum of money to look after Evelyn with, much of it already going to a college fund and after I sell the large house they were living in that should cover the cost of my rent and other living bills for a long time. Not that any of this is your business.” The more I talked the less intimidating she became. Instead of a scowl or a drink thrown in my face she smiled and threw her head back to laugh.

“You’re my favourite.” She told me. I wasn’t sure whom I was up against to be her favourite but I was more than a little bit surprised.

“You’re not harassing Emmalyn are you?” Harry came up beside me and glared at Helen who shrugged sheepishly. I shook my head.

“No she’s not. We’re fine.” I assured Harry understanding that Helen was just being protective. I knew what our position looked like. I was young and had a young child to look after but if the business stayed successful and I continued to use the money saved for Evelyn I would be fine, we both would be. We wouldn’t be rich and living in the lap of luxury but we were able to survive with treats on the side and that was enough for either of us. I didn’t need Harry for his money.

“Yes Haz, we’re fine. You can keep her.” I narrowed my eyes at Helen and clung onto the back of Harry’s shirt.

“Not mine to keep.” Harry responded easily, throwing me a wink. I smiled back and sipped more of my drink.

My body relaxed more through the night as Harry introduced me to more people. It was easier to laugh and chat as everyone talked about how they knew Harry or Mason or Dylan, old stories were told that would have the whole room in laughter. I tried to keep my phone checking to a minimum but Harry seemed to always catch me. He understood though and never once teased me or asked me to stop.

It wasn’t until after my sixth check within half an hour that Harry finally said something about it.

“We could pick her up you know, bring her up to say goodnight. Everyone’s practically leaving anyway.” I glanced around at the half empty room and nodded at Harry gratefully. I was having fun but I was also missing Evelyn.

We said our short goodbyes. Helen had insisted we switch numbers. Despite her intimidating introduction we grew more friendly and I began to learn how to respond to her jibes with easy comebacks never letting her get to me. She seemed to appreciate it more when you fought back. Although that did make conversations with her become exhausting quick.

I walked and swung Harry and my hands in between us down the hallways and down the stairs. I felt giddy and happy, something I hadn’t felt in a long time. It wasn’t just the alcohol that had made me like this. It was also the people, the easy conversation made that were just about anything. I didn’t have to talk about the shop, or my sisters death, or anything I didn’t want to. I didn’t even have to talk about Evelyn although I usually wormed her way into the conversation somehow anyway.

Jennie opened the door to us and held her fingers to her lip before gesturing to Jonah and Evelyn curled up on the couch. We let Jennie know that Mason and Dylan would come get Jonah soon while Harry carefully picked Evelyn up from the couch, I grabbed her bag while handing money to Jennie and waving goodbye.

I watched Harry carefully carry Evelyn up the stairs, rubbing her back and murmuring words I couldn’t hear to her when she began to wake up. She rubbed her face into his neck and seemed to fall back asleep. The picture they both made had my heart racing and a smile permanently etched onto my face. It was ridiculous how good Harry looked with Evelyn.

Harry took Evelyn straight into her room and helped me tuck her in before pressing a kiss to her forehead. She opened her eyes for a moment and mumbled something before falling into a light snore. I smiled and pressed my own kiss to her cheek before quietly following Harry out of her room, shutting her door halfway behind us.

“Are you driving home?” I asked Harry. He shook his head and turned to look at me when we reached the door.

“Nah a few of us are crashing at Mason and Dylan’s tonight.” Harry told me, leaning in the doorway of my front door. I nodded and glanced towards my empty couch. I considered inviting Harry to stay but it felt like a step too quick and too far. I turned back to Harry and he seemed to think the same, weariness resting on his face. I smiled and leant forward into his space instead. He seemed surprised but stayed where he was until I pressed small kiss to his lips, just the lightest pressure before stepping back out of his reach.

“Goodnight Harry.” I grinned and shut the door on his shocked face. I was almost tempted to scream but the muffled sound of sheets moving reminded me that Evelyn was in the house, asleep. I smiled, however, when I heard Harry’s light chuckle on the other side of the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
A first kiss! Small but still there :D
So this chapter wasn't supposed to be so fluffy but well nothing bag happened huh! Not my plan but a gift for you all anyway!
Also just a heads up I probably won't be updating tomorrow but I will update twice on Sunday to make up for it! :)

xx