Oh, Saint Nick

Eleven

Grimacing, I watched as Evelyn smeared red jam across her face more than she put the food inside her mouth. She smiled at me toothily before wiping the back of her hand across her face and smearing more jam up her cheek towards her ear.

“You my little one are utterly disgusting.” Laughing loudly she reached her grubby hands towards me, trying to grab on to any part of me. I moved out of her reach and shot her a warning look which set her off further, almost toppling herself off her seat.

“Keep eating.” I reminded her when she made a move to get up and chase me. Checking the pudding briefly, I then sat down on the stool flipping through a magazine without really taking it in.

“Aunty Emmy.” I hummed in response. I turned to Evelyn after a moment of no response. She sat there silently, staring down at her half eaten sandwich. Dropping the magazine, I cautiously moved towards her.

“Knock, knock.” I glanced away from Evelyn to the door.

“Harry.” Evelyn ran past me and into Harry’s arms, he lifted her up easily and she settled easily on his hips, hands resting around his neck.

“Hello to you my favourite little girl.” Evelyn squealed when Harry buried his face into her neck and made hungry monster noises against her. She squirmed and tried to push herself away while Harry hung too her tightly. It was annoyingly adorable.

Harry looked over at me and I laughed at the jam that had been smeared across his face and neck from Evelyn.

“Come here.” I motioned Harry and Evelyn to the sink, wetting a paper towel and wiping down Evelyn. She squirmed and whined until I finished and Harry placed her on the ground.

“Me next?” He asked lightly, smiling. Rolling my eyes I grabbed another paper towel to wet and proceeded to wipe it over his face, ignoring his eyes as they watched my every moment. “I went to your place this morning but you were already gone.”

“It was my early start today. Dee has the day off.” I murmured to Harry, concentrating harder on wiping his neck when his hands came to rest on my hips. Harry’s hand came up to grab mine, effectively stopping m distraction. I tried to glance by Harry to see where Evelyn was but I couldn’t see past him. Everything surrounding me was Harry, he stepped forward and pushed me against the sink his eyes trying to catch mine. I sighed and slumped my shoulder, giving up the fight and starting straight at him. He smiled triumphantly and surged forward pressing his warm lips to my slightly dry ones.

He pulled back for a moment while I was too stunned to move. Grinning softly, he nudged his nose against mine before sliding our mouths together again. This one took more time and I pulled my hand out of his grip to wrap around his neck, pulling him down closer to my height.

We jumped apart when a loud crash echoed through the kitchen. I pushed against Harry’s chest so I could look around to the mess that Evelyn had made on the floor with food and her now broken plate. She looked up at me and her eyes watered, lip trembled. Sighing I grabbed the closest dish and headed to her.

“It’s okay sweetie. It was an accident.” I calmed her, reaching out until I grabbed grab under her arms and swiftly move her out of the pile of smashed plate. Harry grabbed her and thankfully checked her over for any injuries while I check the broken plate and the last remnants of her sandwich into the dish before sweeping the whole area.

By the time I headed back to Evelyn and Harry, Evelyn was only snuffling, tears had subsided.

“See love, Aunty Emmy isn’t angry. No one’s angry.” Harry rubbed her back soothingly and I kissed her forehead.

“It was an accident, we all make accidents Evie.” I assured her, she only hiccupped a couple more times before she seemed to have calmed down. I shared a guilty glance with Harry trying not to remember the feeling of being pushed against the sink with his body pressed against my front. His eyes darkened like he knew exactly what I was thinking.

Clearing my throat I placed Evelyn back onto the ground and she ran off into the office to grab her Elephant stuff toy.

“Everything okay with her this morning?” Harry questioned softly, glancing thoughtfully towards the office. I shrugged and moved to clean up the area before checking on the puddings again.

“Yeah, jus the same really. Why’s that?” I asked him, glancing over towards the office to see where Evelyn was. Harry shifted uncomfortably out of the corner of my eye. “Why, Harry?” I asked more forcefully. He sighed and moved his head backwards, stretching his long neck and muttering something towards the roof.

“Someone may have mentioned something to me.” He mumbled, louder for me to hear. I glanced towards the door to the front of the café, wondering if Nicky or Logan had mentioned anything to Harry, but Evelyn and I had had no problems this morning.

“I don’t understand?” I asked Harry slowly, he sighed again and rubbed a hand through his hair, pulling on a few curls while Evelyn came out of the office holding her Elephant. Her face was a little puffy but she pulled herself onto her chair nonetheless and picked up the colouring pencils from before.

“Nick might have told. As in you know…” he trailed off and I turned to him finally understanding.

“Stalker Nick?” I whispered to Harry fiercely, he winced but nodded. “I can’t, I mean… just, what the hell Harry?” I was so lost at what he was getting at here. I was completely confused as to why some strange man out there was insisting on following my life and constantly pushing Harry into it.

“Would it be so impossible if it was him? Really him?” Harry said softly, moving closer and glancing over to Evelyn. I sighed and shook my head unbelieving the ridiculousness of it.

“And what do you think he’s doing? Interfering in my life out of every person in this world Harry? What makes mine so special?” Harry’s eyes traveled towards the beautiful five-year-old girl sitting in the corner of the cafés kitchen. I sighed and conceded to that point.

“Maybe out of everyone you need a Christmas miracle or a wish.” I narrowed my eyes at Harry, remembering Evelyn making a wish on the first of December that I hadn’t been able to hear. Her eyes on me while she did.

“Well I don’t. I’m fine, we’re fine.” I told Harry firmly. He wouldn’t meet my eyes. I sighed and moved away to pull the pudding tray out of the oven and onto the counter. They made a loud clang and Evelyn looked over at us, her eyes curious.

“I’m sorry.” Harry said softly, I sighed and rested my hip against the counter, facing Harry.

“It’s find, don’t worry. I just don’t have faith in things or people looking after me okay? They just don’t exist in my world.” I gestured discreetly towards Evelyn. Harry nodded and moved away to sit down in the chair across from Evelyn. I began pulling the puddings of the tray to place on a display plate. Harry and Evelyn’s murmur became a constant in the background while Harry began colouring with her.

Pushing mine and Harry’s conversation to the back of my mind and took the puddings out to the shop and into the display case.

“Everything okay in there?” Nicky came up beside me bumping my hip. I nodded at her but she threw me a scathing look.

“Evelyn just dropped a plate that was all.” I told her.

“You are okay right?” I could feel myself ready to snap when we were interrupted by two people walking up to the counter.

“Yes, I want the brownies.” I looked over to Oliver and Helen standing there, Oliver pressed close to the display case, Helen watched us both curiously.

“Uh, hey!” I greeted both of Harry’s friends. Helen looked extremely put together for someone who drunk the amount of champagne and wine she had last night. Even wearing heels to top off her pantsuit. Oliver on the other hand was wearing sweats and a beanie shoved over his head, his eyes were red rimmed. They were a complete contrast to each other. “Harry is out the back if you want me to get him?” I offered them both, Nicky moved away.

“Oh?” Helen seemed pleased that he was. “So that was where he disappeared to this morning.” I tried to not picture her smile belonging to a serial killer I tried really hard.

“Can I have some brownies?” Oliver beamed at me; Helen practically rolled her whole head in sync with her eyes.

“Sure.” I smiled back at Oliver and grabbed two out of the case. I moved to offer one to Helen, her disdainful look make me quickly direct the second brownies to Oliver. I watched as he took a bite and moaned obscenely through the restaurant. I laughed loudly while a few people within the shop glanced over.

“So is Harry out the back with your niece?” I cocked my head at Helen trying to figure out what she was so interested in.

“Yeah he is. You guys can come back if you want.” I gestured for them to follow to where Harry was still colouring with Evelyn.

“You have visitors.” I told Harry, he looked up surprised to see both Oliver and Helen.

“What are you guys doing here?” He stood up and Evelyn glanced between the two newcomers. Her eyes were curious, while she clutched tightly onto her stuff toys trunk.

“Brownies.” Oliver muttered, moving past Harry to sit opposite Evelyn, after a small hesitation he offered some of his food to her. She looked at me for permission before she took half of one. Harry ruffled Oliver’s hair before turning to Helen. Helen whose eyes seemed to be calculating everything within her vicinity. Her eyes scoured the room before snapping between Evelyn and me, Harry and me, constantly like she was cataloguing everything.

“So Emmalyn since I’m sure Harry would ask you anyway but we were going to go to the carols tomorrow night at the park. It’s a tradition we used to every year with our families when we were younger. You should come and bring Evelyn.” I was surprised by the softness in Helen’s tone, since I met her last night she had been harsh, quick, vicious and calculating. She looked constantly perfect and didn’t seem to have one weak point. And here she was, suddenly, nice and calm and welcoming. I glanced to Harry ready for the trick, the laugh, something. But he just smiled and looked at me encouragingly.

“Okay, sounds fun.” I nodded at her. She smiled triumphantly like she had won something.

“Great, then we can get to know and Evelyn more.” I glanced towards Evelyn who seemed rapped up in Oliver and his eating habits. I laughed and Evelyn turned to me, her teeth flashing before she let a high pitch giggle sounding so much like her mother that I almost choked.

Harry was by my side in a minute, his warm hands placed comfortingly around me, eyes worried. I grabbed onto his arm for grounding not wanting to ruin Evelyn’s happiness.

I could feel Helen’s eyes on us when I turned into Harry. His murmured whisper, however, was only for me to hear.

“I’m here, I’m here. You don’t have to do this alone.”
♠ ♠ ♠
My post to make up for yesterday will be posted tomorrow. I only half finished it today. So two posts tomorrow guys! Sorry for the wait on it!

​Enjoy! xx​​​​