Oh, Saint Nick

Nine

I rushed through the chemist holding the piece of paper in front of me trying to find the medicine that Mason had told me to get. It was good for stopping the flu before it started in young children. I finally found it as my phone began to ring.

Panicked, I quickly answered it thinking Mason was calling to tell me Evelyn had eventually passed away from a coughing fit.

“Sweetie you okay you sound panicked.” I sighed in relief at my Mum’s voice.

“Fine Mum, Evelyn’s sick that’s all and I need medicine for her.” I told her while grabbing a couple of jars of the medicine just in case.

“Oh honey the best that you can get…” I rolled my eyes as she began rattling off every name she can think off.

“Mum I don’t even think they sell that stuff here. Different brand names remember.” I reminded her, I smiled when she cursed probably thinking I couldn’t hear.

The lady behind the counter shot me a dirty look when I stayed on my phone while she served me but I ignored her anyway. I was too worried about Evelyn to even care about her.

“Where is Evelyn?” Mum asked.

“Staying with Harry at my place. Mason’s there with him just in case.” I told her, handing cash over to the lady.

“Oh Harry certainly is around a lot.” Mum commented making me groan.

“Honestly that is the last thing I care about right now Mum. Seriously?” I grabbed the bag from the lady and barely threw her another glance as I barreled out of the store and into my car. I put the phone and speaker so I could drive and talk to my Mum.

“Okay fine, I was just making an observation.”

“Can you save it for another time then.” I told her pulling out in front of another car and headed down the main road. A few horns beeped at me.

“Emmalyn are speeding? Are you even following road rules? I swear to God if you get in a car accident and die I will bring you back just to kill you myself and don’t you dare think Erin will let you go lightly in the afterlife.” I rolled my eyes at her dramatics. “Think of Evelyn.”

“I am Mum that’s why I’m speeding.” I told her annoyed. A few more horns beeped at me as I sped past.

“Evelyn has a cold, she is not dying so slow down right this instant before you kill yourself and destroy Evelyn’s life further.” I sighed and realised the panic in her tone.

“Okay fine, I’m slowing down.” I told her, the car was still speeding but no as fast as it had been before.

“Well I’m going to let you go and you’re going to call me later once you have Evelyn’s settled. Make sure she has fluids and stays warm.” There was a click and I knew she had hung up. I had disappointed and worried her and I hated that. But I was too freaked out about Evelyn to care right now. I know that she had only had a slight cough this morning but I didn’t want it to get any worse.

I got out of the car after pulling into my usual park, Harry’s range rover parked in the space next to it. Cursing I dropped the bag and a bottle rolled away. I grabbed the bag and most of the stuff inside before chasing after the one bottle. Before I grabbed it someone else had already picked it up. I was about to grab, thank and dash until I saw who it was.

“Seriously? Are you freaking kidding me right now?” I hissed at Stalker Santa. I made a move to grab the bottle but he held it out of my grasp.

“Look I don’t have time to play your games today, Evelyn’s sick and she needs me and I need her to get better so just please give me the bottle.” He stayed silent calculating me for a few seconds while I grew more worried. He finally smiled and held the bottle out to me.

“As you wish.” I frowned at him but grabbed the bottle, turning and running up the flights of stairs to my level. Bursting through the door I found Harry on the couch while Evelyn sat watching television. She smiled up at me, her eyes weren’t as red, and the paleness of her skin had lessened.

“I’m all good now Aunty. Feel good.” She yawned and rested her head back against Harry’s chest. He shrugged at me.

“It was so weird she doesn’t even have a fever.” He commented, feeling her forehead. I walked over and felt it too. Frowning, I noted it was practically back to normal. I thought about what Stalker Santa had said before shaking my head, it was stupid to think that.

“Come on sweetie I still want you to take your medicine just in case.” It took a bit of effort to get Evelyn to take medicine. She wouldn’t open her mouth and Harry had to eventually help me to coax her mouth open. She was grumpy after that and watched TV for a bit longer before slowly dozing off.

“She’s fine.” Harry said to me after I check her for a fever for the hundredth time. I frowned at him, still worried.

“It just broke way too quickly. I might still take her to the Doctors.” Harry rolled his eyes and leant over her small form to press a kiss to my lips momentarily making my mind blank.

“She is fine. Okay if she’s feeling ill in the morning we can take her but just let her sleep.”

“We?” I questioned Harry curiously; he blushed and ducked his head. Smiling I leant closer to him and pressed short kisses to his mouth. He made frustrated noises every time he tried to further the kiss and I pulled back. I smiled against his mouth before resting my head on his shoulder and snuggling into Evelyn and him. I didn’t even realise she was awake the whole time, smiling happily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one is short guys, ran out of time! But have some Christmas Magic :)

xx