Oh, Saint Nick

Three

His brown hair stuck in every direction, his eyelids fluttered while he snored lightly. He was impossibly cute, lying half on the couch, his gangly limbs hanging off in every direction. It shouldn’t have been as comfortable as he was making it look.

“Can I wake ‘im?” Evelyn asked me, excitement in her eyes. I laughed softly.

“If you want.” I gestured to him and leant against the doorway, the cup of coffee warming my hands, watching as she ran and took a leap straight onto his stomach. I probably should have made sure she woke him a bit nicer. He retracted inwards and groaned loudly, large hands coming up to steady the small body that had landed on him.

“Time to wake up ‘Arry.” Evelyn yelled in his ear, bouncing excitedly on his stomach. Harry grumbled and grabbed onto her rolling and taking them both of the couch in a mess of blankets, limbs and squeals. Harry made sure to land on the bottom while Evelyn laughed louder from Harry’s hands travelling up her sides finding every ticklish spot. It was almost too good to be true, how happy and perfect they looked.

Harry glanced up at me after they calmed down, Evelyn breathing heavily on his chest. He shot me a wicked grin and winked. I shook my head at him and ambled back into the kitchen. I could hear shuffling behind me before Harry bounded in after with Evelyn sitting on his back, her small arms around his neck.

“What are you doing today?” Harry asked brightly.

“Working.” I pouted at him, while stacking the dishwasher and waving Harry over to the toaster so he could have some breakfast too.

“Oh.” Harry mumbled, placing Evelyn down so she could go back to her own breakfast. “Did you want me to look after her today?” Harry asked while placing bread in the toaster. I shook my head.

“I’m sure you have better things to do.” I reasoned with him, moving to the fried I set a glass of milk down in front of Evelyn before pouring Harry one too.

“I really don’t.” He admitted, grinning and taking the glass I offered him. “I want to look after her today. We could go to my house or something. I’m sure my Mum would love to see her again and my cousins are over today.” I frowned and glanced between the oblivious Evelyn. “My Mum really would love to see her.” Harry further assured me, taking a step closer and resting his hands on my hips. I let him and considered the option. Today would be crazy amounts of busy being so close to Christmas so it would be great to have Evelyn out of the way.

“If you’re sure.” I conceded eventually. Harry widened his mouth to show teeth before pressing a quick kiss to my cheek.

“Wanna hang out with me today hun?” Harry moved around the bench to Evelyn who looked away from her food to cheer and show everyone in the kitchen what chewed up toast looked like in her mouth. I pulled a disgusted face at them both before continuing to clean up.

By the time I was ready to leave Harry and Evelyn were both practically pushing me out the door despite the numbers I was trying to force Harry into adding to his phone. I huffed at the door that was slammed into my face before turning and making my way to work. Feeling better knowing that Evelyn would have a good day instead of being stuck in the coffee shop.

The shop was flat out busy the moment I got there. Dee was already having trouble baking in time while Logan informed me that he had already culled Nell to help he and Nicky serve. I waved him away and immersed myself in cooking.

Mixing and kneading anything that Dee shoved into my hands. Nicky and Nell rushed in and out most of the day refilling the display cabinet with baked goods as well as informing Dee and myself exactly how busy they were. I barely fit in lunch breaks for each of them, forfeiting my own and just eating some of the baking while we made it. Dee shot me continuous disapproving looks but I just ignored her pointedly and kept stuffing the brownie into my mouth.

Just went my feet began to scream and groan in frustration Logan came into the kitchen, a frustrated look on his face.

“There’s a man here who wants to talk to you. Something about a complaint. “ I looked at Logan for a few blank moments before groaning, loudly. I was not in the mood to deal with annoyed customers but I followed Logan out nevertheless and immediately noticed the man who was holding up the whole line of customers waiting to place their order. His angry eyes narrowed in on me and he scoffed once, loudly.

“You’re the owner?” There was obvious disbelief in his voice.

“Yes.” I nodded coolly at the man used to people unbelieving that I owned my own business at such a young age. I then proceeded to get disapproving looks when they say me with Evelyn. I assumed gold digger or murdered for money were their first assumptions of me.

“Well I would like to formally make a complaint about how long I have had to wait in this line to order a coffee.” He growled out, his eyes narrowing at me, not expecting me to challenge or fight back. Obviously expecting free food or coffee out of his complaint.

“Noted. I’ll be sure to remember that.” I muttered, ready to turn around and walk away and get back to the baking that was calling me.

“You’re not going to make a note of it?” He asked, obviously not expecting my uncaring reaction. I rolled my eyes and stepped away from the counter, shaking my head at him.

“Nope because that would just take more time and prolong the wait for the people behind you. So you can either order your coffee through Logan here or step aside and go enjoy one of the other excellent coffee shops within this mall and let the people behind you order. Have a Merry Christmas.” I shot him a smile before walking back into the kitchen and stretching my arms above my head, parts of my back popped and a yawn slipped from my mouth.

“Erin would have ripped that man a new one.” Dee commented lightly from where she stood, stirring by hand. I rolled my eyes and checked the oven.

“I am not Erin and that man was an unnecessary annoyance in my day.” I informed her receiving a chuckle in reply.

“No you are definitely not Erin.” Dee responded. I glanced towards her face that showed nothing to clarify what she meant by that. Instead she turned away from me to grab something out of the cupboard.

Sighing I pushed everyone out of mind and began neatly stacking the fruit mince pies on top of each other to fit into the display case.

-

The end of day was long and torturous to close up but eventually we had everyone out of the shop and clean and packed up. I resisted the urge to take off my shoes as we all made our way through the mall towards the car park.

I paused and watched as Stalker Santa walked from the seat set up for him in the middle of the mall. A shorter man walking beside him. I said my goodbyes to everyone and made a beeline for the large man. This was probably the first time that I had willingly approached him.

“Ah young Emmalyn how lovely to see you. All is well I presume.” He greeted me; I spared the shorter man beside him with the bright red beanie a quick look before rounding on the man in the red suit.

“Are you Santa?” I ground out, trying to ignore the ridiculous question I had just voiced. “And I mean the real one.” I added on, eyeing the red suit. The large man chucked and rested his hands on top of his belly.

“Well if you believe me to be.” He shrugged, his rosy cheeks becoming more prominent above the white beard. “Isn’t that what it’s all about, believing.” I tried to control not snapping at the obviously insane man while the short person beside him nodded along obnoxiously. I sighed and considered walking away.

“Twenty days ago Evelyn made a wish to you that she didn’t want me to hear.” I began hesitantly while both men smiled in response. “And later that day Harry walked into my life and hasn’t left since. So I need to know that – this is going to sound insane but I need to know that you didn’t do something to him.” I finished cautiously while Santa laughed jovially, his belly stereotypically bounced along with it.

“What exactly did you think I did?” He asked, his eyes shining bright.

“I don’t know, a love spell or something?” I offered lamely making the small man next to Santa scoff.

“We’re not cupids. Honestly, humans.” He threw his hand up in the air and shook his head like I had just destroyed his last hope for human kind. I shot him an offended look and glanced back at Santa.

“Then why on Earth-“ I paused and bit my lip wondering if I was actually going to admit this to the man I had been trying remove from my life for the last coupe of weeks. “Why on Earth is he so insistent on staying in my life if…”

“If what? You have nothing to offer.” I eyed the small man next to Santa as he shook his head at me, like I was being purposefully stupid. He seemed to be offended easily. “You sell yourself so short.”

“We are always so much more than what we think we are then what we let be seen.” I blinked confusedly at Santa. “Mr. Styles walked into your life exactly when he was supposed to and he’s choosing to stay in your life because that is what he is suppose to do, be apart of you life.”

“Like being forced?” I asked horrified which earned me an eye roll from the man next to Santa.

“No one can be forced into anything my dear Emmalyn. It’s called destiny and my Harry had been yours for a long time. We’ve just given you both a little push.”

“Destiny doesn’t exist.” I responded, understanding how insane this man was and in turned how insane I must be to talk to him.

“Just like Santa doesn’t exist.” I paused mid turn and glanced back towards both men, grins present on both faces. “Things exist whether you like it or not Emmalyn. It wouldn’t hurt you to have a little blind faith.” I watched in aghast as both men walked away their words ringing around my head.

Blind faith would never be an easy request.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo Christmas has unfortunately been and gone and I wasn't able to finish this story in time! As I'm sure for everyone it go crazy hectic Christmas for me so I wasn't able to write more! But I'm going to try and get the rest of these chapters out soon in the next couple of days still! Christmas will just be prolonged in this story for a bit longer ;P

xx