Oh, Saint Nick

One

The pile of gifts sitting atop the kitchen counter out back of the coffee shop made Evelyn scream in glee. I had to hold onto her to stop her running and tearing into every present there.

“You know you don’t get to open these presents until tomorrow Evie!” I reminded her, pulling her further away from the table before dumping my own bag of presents for everyone on the table.

Evelyn pouted and was probably already devising plans to convince people to let her have them all day.

“You guys spoilt her way too much.” I called out to where everyone was setting up for the day. Dee wandered into the kitchen from the office, flour already spread in her hair.

“There’s presents in there for you two. Make sure Evelyn shares.” Dee pressed a kiss to my temple when I walked past her to put my bags down in the office. “I do wish you would join me for Christmas tomorrow.”

“I intrude on your family way to much already Dee.” I pointed out to her receiving an eye roll in return.

“Nonsense. You don’t spend enough. The more time you spend the sooner my granddaughter will want a kid just from the utter adorableness of Evelyn.” I laughed at Evelyn who practically preened next to Dee when she ran a quick hand through her hair.

“Thanks Dee but we have our own plans.” I assured her, bumping Evelyn with my hip on the way out to the main shop. “And no presents Evelyn.” I heard her groan before stomping out of the kitchen after me.

The rest of the day at the shop was busy with people rushing in and out for coffee and last minute presents. The tables and chairs were mostly empty the whole day as no one had time to sit down and relax while Christmas was tomorrow and presents hadn’t been bought yet.

At some point after lunch Santa came in and Evelyn promptly joined him at a table in the corner. I eyed them for a moment before relaxing, he had plenty of opportunities to harm either of us and hadn’t done so, and therefore I could trust them together while they stayed within my sight.

“That man seriously looks like Santa.” Tallulah commented to me while Logan cackled and worked the coffee machine. I smiled but didn’t respond to either of their reactions. It was bad enough that I was beginning to believe the whole Santa theory let alone telling the people who work for me just how crazy I was becoming.

Evelyn and Santa sat their for a long time, sometimes Evelyn was vibrant and waving her whole body around and other times she was more reserved, her hands held tightly in her lap and her laugh missing from the shop.

Not long before closing Harry waltzed in through the doors, brushing snow from his shoulder and shutting the door on the few photographers that had followed him. Obviously they didn’t have families they would rather spend time with then annoy Harry.

I nodded to Harry but gestured to the long line of customers, trying to convey that I wasn’t able to talk right now. His eyes travelled the room until he found Evelyn and Santa. Shooting me a surprised look before he headed in their direction.

I served the next customer but could clearly hear Evelyn’s excited squeals on Harry’s arrival. I chanced a quick glance over to watch Harry take a seat at their table, shaking Santa’s hand in greeting.

“Do you want to go over there?” Nell nudged me in their direction. “We can handle it here, call you back if we need you.” I looked towards Nicky and Logan who waved me off while Tallulah was outback grabbing more food for the display cases.

Washing my hands I then moved towards the small group of people that had kept my attention for most of the day.

“Aunty Emmy!” I smiled at Evelyn’s happiness this close to Christmas. I couldn’t have asked for anything more then for her to be happy these holidays. “Santa’s here when he has to deliver presents soon.” Evelyn seemed horrified by the idea of him not already in his sleigh.

“I’m sure Santa will make it to everyone in time.” I glanced at Harry before smiling down at Evelyn. “He is magic right?” I shot Santa a glance. He smiled at me in return but stayed silent. Evelyn frowned as if debating whether Santa could still make all the houses with magic on his side.

“But does he ‘ave ‘nough magic?” She questioned further. Harry snorted but quickly covered it with a cough. I laughed and shook my head at her.

“I granted your wishes didn’t I?” Santa responded, leaning over the table to wink at Evelyn. She nodded quickly. “Then I have more then enough magic to make everyone’s Christmas. I should be on my way now though.” He stood up and pulled his long red coat back onto his large body. “I do however have one more wish left before I go.”

Santa turned to me and I shifted uneasily, glancing towards an amused Harry.

“You need to make that with soon Emmalyn before your chance is gone.” He told me before spinning on his foot and moving swiftly through the crowd of people and out the door.

“What you gonna wish for Aunty?” Evelyn asked before frowning. “No, don’t tell me. Won’t come twue if you do.” She insisted, all serious lines spreading through her face. I shook my head at her and leant over to press a quick kiss to Harry’s cheek, finally greeting him properly.

-

I smiled and watched as Harry leant over Evelyn’s shoulder to cut her meat up while keeping up the conversation with Mason. She hadn’t even needed to ask him yet, he had already known like his body was tuned to respond to each and every movement she made. They both acted like it was natural whereas I sat opposite her wondering where I was when they bonded so easily.

“Emma.” I turned at the sound of Dylan’s voice to see him watching me smugly. I blushed and took a long drink of the wine sitting in front of me before turning back to my meal. A foot nudged mine under the table and I looked up to see Harry shoot me a small smile before hooking his foot tighter around my ankle. I relaxed more into my seat and slowly continued to eat.

“So what time do you think Evelyn will be awake tomorrow?” Dylan asked conversationally.

“Honestly I’ll be surprised if she falls asleep.” I told him, eyeing Harry as he excused himself to answer his phone.

“Jonah tried to stay up last year but passed out by 10:30.” I laughed and watched Evelyn and Jonah whisper to each other while continuing to eat their food.

“I hope I’m that lucky this year.” I groaned to them both not believing for a second that I would be. Harry took this time to join us back at the table he still seemed distracted by his phone. “So what are your plans for tomorrow?” I asked Mason and Dylan as Harry’s foot slid contently next to mine.

“Mason’s family for lunch and my Grandparents for dinner.” Dylan informed me. “Mason’s family will be the most exhausting with seven siblings and a hundred nephews and nieces to match.” Mason huffed, offended.

“We haven’t reached a hundred. Yet we are aiming for it, Mum was complaining about us not having another child the other day. Apparently I’m falling behind in her plans.” Mason told us, eliciting a chuckle out of Harry.

“And your parents?” I asked Dylan tentatively knowing that he wasn’t on very good ground with either of them. He shrugged and glanced towards Jonah, running a hand through his ruffled hair.

“Who knows? They might be at my grandparents for dinner but I’m not really sure. Grandma didn’t really say but she insisted we come.” Harry seemed confused, glancing between the two of them, lost.

“My parents don’t accept mine and Mason’s lives and don’t accept Jonah as their grandchild.” Dylan further explained, frowning. “But it doesn’t matter right? Christmas is for the people in your lives who love and accept you. Who make you happy and thankful everyday. That’s the type of people you spend Christmas with.” I smiled small at Dylan grabbing onto his hand briefly before Evelyn jumped up from her seat, her and Jonah breaking the tension at the table without even knowing it.

“Goin’ to pway.” Jonah announced, grabbing onto Evelyn’s hand and they raced off down the hallway. I quickly glanced towards Evelyn’s plate but most of it had been cleaned off. I sighed and let them go, not wanting to intrude on the plans they had obviously been making.

“I’ll help you clean.” I told Dylan as he began collecting the plates to take them into the kitchen. Harry’s hand slid across my waist as he walked past us back to the hallways, his attention focused on his phone again. I looked towards Mason who shrugged in confusion before pouring more wine, which he gulped down fairly quickly. I laughed.

“A hangover is not going to get you through tomorrow and your family Mason.” I called out to him.

“I wasn’t going to stop long enough to get a hangover.” He called back when I entered the kitchen to held Dylan wash the plates. Dylan shook his head at his husband dramatic flair and began putting glasses into the soapy water. I grabbed the first tea towel I saw and began drying.

“So when are you seeing your parents?” Dylan asked curiously. I frowned and placed glass in my hand on the counter before grabbing another.

“They want me to fly there after New Years.” I told him truthfully, picturing the flight plan that had been saved on my computer.

“And you’ll come back?” He pushed further.

“Of course I am. I have too much stuff here to leave.” I told him, moving to push the glasses away into the cupboard where they belonged.

“But after that?” He pushed further and I knew what he was trying to get at. Sighing I leant back against the counter and watched a candle on the countertop flicker.

“I don’t know. I’ve been looking at places back home. Places that would be good for Evelyn.” I told him truthfully. He sighed and dried his hands.

“You call it home again.” I looked at him confused. “You used to call this place home when we first met but after awhile it was like you became more distant from here and missing Australia more.” I smiled sadly at Dylan and shrugged.

“I came here because of Erin and I stayed but this was never my home. I was never planning on staying this long and Evelyn…” I paused and rested my head on Dylan’s shoulder when he wrapped an arm around my waist. “I think Erin would be happy if Evelyn grew up where we did. That’s not a horrible thing to want is it?” Dylan reached up to wipe the few tears off my face and smiled at me sadly.

“Of course it’s not a horrible thing sweetie. If you think going back there is what’s right then that’s what you need to do.”

“Harry.” I responded, noticing him standing in the doorway.

“Uh Mason wanted to know if you both were coming out for a drink?” He asked us. Dylan laughed and squeezed my shoulder before leaving the room.

“Are you okay?” He asked, stepping into the room. I laughed softly and nodded, rubbing the water from my cheeks.

“Yeah. I actually feel pretty great right now.” I told him honestly. He looked at me doubtfully. “I mean it. Just ignore the tears. I feel like things might actually be going good right now.” He smiled and pulled me into a hug. I laughed and wrapped my arms tightly around his slim waist.

“Christmas miracles are everywhere.” Harry sung softly into my ear making me laugh louder and bury my face into his neck.

-

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” I grumbled glancing at my phone as the time flashed 12:00. I hoped to God that Evelyn hadn’t woken up from the knocking at the door when she only crashed in bed half an hour ago.

Stumbling, I flicked on as few lights as possible ready to curse out whoever decided that it was okay to wake people up so early or late at night.

“Merry Christmas.” I blinked angrily at the two people standing in front of me, the hallway light irritating my eyes.

“Mum? Dad?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Only two to three more chapters to go guys! Thank you so much for sticking around longer then it was supposed to last for!

xx