Oh, Saint Nick

Christmas Day

I leant sleepily in the doorway watching my Dad’s soft snores lift his chest up and down comfortably while my Mum turned fitfully and constantly in her sleep. My father every now and then would subconsciously push her foot out of his back before moving over to adjust around her moving limbs. They were so in sync even while they slept that it brought a smile to my face.

Stifling a yawn I looked back down at the phone in my hand and deleted the eccentric all capital letter text that I had been about to send Harry. Instead I typed a small ‘Thank You’ and sent it to him knowing that he would understand exactly how much this meant to Evelyn and me for Christmas.

It was almost six thirty by the time I heard a thump and scuffle from Evelyn’s room. I stopped stirring my coffee and moved to stand at the end of the hallway watching as she ran from her room straight to mine. There was a moment of silence before she walked out of my room, rubbing her eyes in confusion before she saw me at the end of the hallway.

I smiled as her little feet took off I my direction and she jumped straight into my arms.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” She bellowed into my ear making me wince before tickling her sides and taking her to the archway to the living room.

“Merry Christmas Evie.” I nuzzled her head. She ignored me though as her eyes fell on her two grandparents sleeping peacefully on the bed I had made for them when they had arrived. Hey eyes widened and her feet kicked until I placed her on the ground.

“NANNY, POPPY!” Dad let out a loud, quick snort as a five year old threw her whole body straight onto his stomach. She rolled out of the slow grab he made for her and straight onto Mum’s face. There was a muffled noise before Evelyn started to giggle and squirm from the hand that tickled across her stomach and down her legs to her feet. “STOP!” She gasped between breaths. I was worried for a moment that she might pee, except Mum stopped and sat up with her.

“Merry Christmas Munchkin.” Mum sighed pulling Evelyn against her before she climbed out of Mum’s grip to lie down next to her Poppy.

“Aunty Emmy said you ‘ouldn’t come.” Evelyn said, happily nuzzling into Dad’s chest. He lifted his hand to run through her hair while Mum got off the bed and stretched her back out.

“Harry got us here as a surprise.” My Dad explained shooting me a grin. I rolled my eyes at his teasing gesture and headed into the kitchen to make more coffee. My phone buzzed on the counter with a text from Harry. It simply read ‘Merry Christmas’ with a heart placed next to it. I smiled and replied the same before beginning to boil the water.

“Coffee would be the best present you could give me right now.” Mum said coming through to the kitchen and pressing a kiss to my head. I smiled and leant against her for a moment before busying myself making them both a coffee and getting Evelyn a drink of milk when Dad brought her in. She accepted the cup and sat the chair Dad sat her on obediently, drinking and smiling at both her grandparents.

“You both look good, tired, but good.” Dad commented when he accepted his coffee. I smiled and rubbed a hand through Evelyn’s hair affectionately and taking a seat down next to her.

“It’s been a good Christmas so far.” I admitted to them both.

“We met Santa Claus.” Evelyn blurted out and both my parents responded in the usual way adults responded to a child when they had to hide the truth that Santa wasn’t real and I certainly wasn’t going to tell them that I was beginning to believe that he just might be.

Soon enough Evelyn lost her patience and pushed us all back into the living room so she could begin unwrapping the rather large pile of presents under the tree. Not only had I spoilt her but everyone else we knew had as well.

“How long have you guys known you were coming here?” I asked them both.

“Harry contacted us about six days ago. It was a bit of a rush getting everything prepared and letting everyone know but we couldn’t really say no when he was offering us time to be with both of you.” Dad said, gasping at the present that Evelyn held up excitedly.

“And he paid for it?” I asked hesitantly. Mum nodded.

“First class and everything for us. That boy seems to like you a lot.” I blushed and hung my head before looking over at Evelyn.

“He loves the both of us.” I told her honestly. She smiled and nodded, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

“I know sweetie.” She said pressing a kiss to my cheek as Dad joined Evelyn closer to the Christmas Tree to help her read who each present was from since she was having trouble.

“So what are you going to do?” I looked at Mum waiting for the rest of the question. “There is a boy here who seems to love you and your child a lot and if I’m not mistaken you might possibly return those feelings so are you going to stay here for him?” I sighed and rested my head on the back of the couch.

“Pretty soon he’s going to go back to London and working and travelling the world and I’m not going to hand around in one place waiting for him all the time. Evelyn comes first.” I told her. I had known my decision for quite a long time it was just a matter of admitting it to myself and then telling everyone. “After New Years and I get the café sorted out and handed to Dee we’re going to move back home. I think Erin and Ethan would understand and watching Evelyn now I know she would be happier with you both around more often.”

“And Harry?” Mum prompted.

“And Harry travels a lot so I’m sure that his travels will bring him to us from time to time.” I told her softly knowing that my chances of Harry still wanting to be with us weren’t a high probability.

“And Ethan’s parents?”

“Ethan’s parents are going to be told today that if they want to be in their grandchild’s life they needed to be better. Better to her and better to me otherwise I will fight them for custody and I will cut then out of her life when I win.” I told Mum sternly. She squeezed me tighter against her.

“That’s my girl. There was a time when you used to push Erin and make sure she didn’t let Ethan or his family walk all over her. When she was pregnant you always backed her up and I don’t even think she thanked you for that but I promise you she used to always tell me how thankful she was. She would be so proud to see you being that girl again.”

-

I stood to the side and watched as Evelyn played with both her Granddad and Poppy smiling up at them and calling them back to her attention every time they began to wander off.

I smiled at the attention she was getting, she was the only grandchild in this family so far and she deserved to be spoilt as the first grandchild all the time.

“It’s so lovely that you were both able to come her last minute.” Jacquie commented to my Mum while we sat on the couch, letting the last of lunch settle in our stomachs. I stayed quiet letting my Mum converse with Jacquie, I hadn’t said much since we got her but I couldn’t really think of anything else to say to either of them. I didn’t want to fight them either of them over Evelyn anymore, it was exhausting and not what she needed in her life.

I excused myself from everyone when my phone buzzed and walked out into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table and smiling when I saw Harry’s name flash across the screen.

“Hey, how’s your day going?” Harry’s voice sounded happy through the phone. I could hear noises in the background but they were muffled, indicating that Harry had probably left to the room next door to get some privacy. It sounded like a lot of people were at his house.

“It’s going good actually. A lot better with my parents here.” I told him with a smile. “Thank you for that, again.”

“My pleasure. It was my Christmas present to you both.”

“One that you spent entirely too much money on but thank you. I have no idea what I did to deserve you.” I told him quietly, smiling and tracing patterns on the wooden table in front of me.

“You did nothing. You don’t have to do anything to deserve me Em. I just really like you and Evelyn.” I paused for a moment before taking a chance.

“Maybe even love?” I asked softly, glancing towards the kitchen door to make sure everyone was still in the living room.

“Definitely love.” He responded without any hesitation. I smiled widely and sunk further down in the chair, warmth spreading through me that had nothing to do with the heaters in the house.

“I love you too.” I replied honestly.

“I can’t wait to see you tonight,” Harry replied and I frowned in confusion.

“I’m seeing you tonight?”

“Yeah, Mum said that you guys are coming over for dinner?” He asked, suddenly unsure. “Said that she talked to your Mum.”

I laughed and shook my head, wondering when my Mum was actually going to tell me.

“You don’t mind do you?” Harry asked, unsure. I shook my head.

“Of course I don’t. I want to see you.” I told him as the sound of the people at his house got considerably louder and someone started calling his name. “You should go.”

“Yeah. I’ll see you later right?” He said, his voice becoming louder to talk over the conversation happening around him.

“Definitely.” I replied before pulling the phone away and ending it.

“He sounds like a lovely boy.” I jumped and turned to see Jacquie standing in the doorway. I frowned and shrugged at her. “Your Mum told me that he flew them over here for you.”

“It was a Christmas present.” I replied for something to say. Jacquie smile kindly and sat down across from me, she seemed hesitant for a moment before turning to me, straightening up in her seat while I stayed slouched down in mine. “I want to apologise for the last couple of weeks. We want the best for Evelyn and we handled it wrong.” I blinked, confused, and completely surprised as Jacquie smiled at me softly.

“Demanding custody was the wrong thing to do but we stuffed up when – when Ethan and your sister passed away and we were trying to fix our mistake. But taking her from you and going behind your back to tell her about what happened was the wrong thing to do.” I smiled at Jacquie slowly but surely and reached out to grab her hand. I understood how confusing and terrifying it was to think and make choices about Evelyn, I wouldn’t blame them for thinking that had her best interests.

“Your Mum says you’re going to move back to Australia?” I hesitated before nodding.

“I don’t want to take her away from either of you but I don’t think I can cope with raising her here. Back at home though I know everything and understand everything better. I want to figure out a way to give her the life Erin and Ethan wanted for her, I just can’t do that here.” I told her as reassuring as possible. I honestly thought that I could give her a better life there then I ever could here.

“We’ll miss her.” Jacquie sighed.

“And you can come visit all the time, whenever you want and we’ll still come back here and visit. As much as possible. I have a lot of people here who I’m not ready to say goodbye to just yet.” I assured her. She smiled and squeezed my hand.

“You’ve grown up these last couple of months Emmalyn, I’m sorry it took me so long to notice.

-

“I really think we should have brought something with.” Mum suggested for the tenth time as we climbed out of the car.

“Well we couldn’t since someone didn’t tell me we were coming here for dinner.” I responded, bending down to pick up Evelyn from the car. She circled her small arms around my neck and let her head rest on my shoulder; hey eyes were already drooping.

“It slipped my mind.” Mum waved me off before smiling widely at Ann standing in the doorway to Harry’s home.

“Look Aunty, Santa.” I turned to where Evelyn pointed and saw a familiar figure standing a couple of houses down. I hesitated as Harry came out of the house to hug my Mum.

“Dad, can you take her for a sec, there’s someone I have to talk to.” I handed Evelyn to my Dad, her protests only lasting a second before she got comfortable again. My Dad watched me confused as I turned around and quickly headed past the few houses, pulling my coat tighter around my body trying to stop the cold seeping in.

“Merry Christmas Emmalyn.” I smiled as he stood there, white beard and red suit all rolled into one neat and popular package.

“Merry Christmas Santa.” I replied leaning forward to press a kiss to his rosy cheek. He laughed joyfully and smiled.

“Santa now huh? I suppose you might be wanting that Christmas wish eh?” I scrunched up my nose and turned to look back at where my family waited for me. Mason and Dylan had come out of the house to meet my family while Harry was slowly walking towards me. Evelyn was being handed to Ann and Gemma who both pressed kisses all over her face.

“You keep it.” I replied, turning to smile at Santa. “I already have everything I need.” I assured him, he smiled and nodded, his eyes shooting to the people behind me before taking a step back.

“Santa?” He paused and turned back to face me. “Thank you, for everything.” I said honestly, not knowing how else to show how grateful I was.

“Oh my dear Emmalyn, it was most definitely my pleasure.” He tipped his head forward before turning again and making his way down the street. I watched him for a moment before warm hands circled around my waist. I turned to be met with Harry’s chest. Laughing I looked up and accepted the kiss he pressed to my lips.

“Everything okay?” He asked me, his nose nudging against my cheek lightly. I nodded and buried my fingers into his warm coat; my gloves must have been left in the car.

“Everything is perfect.” I told him truthfully snuggling closer.

“Where did he go?” I turned around to where Harry was looking to see the street completely empty. Santa was gone. I sighed and shook my head, pulling out of Harry’s arms and tugging on his arm, back to the house.

“Home I guess.” I shrugged.

“But how, he was just there! It’s like he disappeared into thin air.” I laughed harder and pulled Harry up close against my body.

“Magic my dear Mr. Styles.” I winked and pressed another quick kiss to his lips. He smiled and moved for another when our names were called. Our family standing on the steps to his house waving us over. Blushing I grabbed Harry’s hand again and pulled him along.

“Who was that man you were talking to honey?” Mum asked when I got back and took Evelyn from Ann’s arm.

“Santa!” Evelyn piped up which of course no one would believe.

“An old friend.” I replied instead, watching Harry press a large kiss to Evelyn’s head making her giggle before she squirmed her way into his arms.

“Well is everyone coming in. It’s freezing out here.” Ann insisted, ushering us all back inside where Mason and Jonah pulled me into hugs and Gemma immediately sat down on the ground with Jonah and Evelyn to play. I smiled and watched as my loud family all piled around each other, warm and happy.

-

Evelyn sniffed in her sleep before burying herself closer to my body, Harry’s hand drawing calming circles into her back, where she lay between us covered by a blanket. Everyone talked softly and dozed around us in the warm living room with the fire flickering lights all around us.

“You’re coming back right?” I looked up at Harry’s soft voice and quirked an eyebrow. “Back from Australia?”

“Of course.” I smiled, lifting a finger to guide over his cheek.

“But not for long.” He countered, stopping my finger and moving to press a kiss to my palm. I smiled sadly and shook my head.

“No not for long. Just to sort everything out before…” I trailed off and glanced down at Evelyn.

“I get it I do. I’ll be back in London soon anyway.” I looked back up at Harry and felt a tightening in my stomach. “But we can still figure this out right? Us? If you want to still?” Harry furthered in the tight feeling in my stomach instantly disappeared and I smile slid across my face while I nodded quickly.

“Yes, of course.” I moved closer, squishing Evelyn closer between us so I could rest my head on his shoulder.

“I love you.” He whispered softly, his lips grazing my forehead.

“I love you too.” I replied lifting my head to press a short but sweet kiss to his lips.

“Both of you.” Harry continued, pressing a light hand to Evelyn’s forehead. I smiled at him widely and buried my face in his neck, breathing deeply letting my thoughts become calm and slow, wandering aimlessly through the last month and everything that had led up to this perfect moment where Evelyn was happy, warm and safe. For Erin, I will make sure she always is.
♠ ♠ ♠
Christmas! Finally! One more chapter to go guys then I'm finally done with my Christmas project (extremely late!)

This was supposed to be up way earlier but then Sherlock happened and I've been stock watching the new episodes and searching through the mad Sherlock fandom on Tumblr so I'm sorry! But Sherlock guys!! I can't! If you are not watching this show please go watch it now!

But anyway! Last chapter hopefully up within the week! :D

xx