Oh, Saint Nick

Twenty-One

I shot Evelyn a pleading look and held out the dark brown scarf. The phone was ringing obnoxiously from my bedroom while I was in the middle of arguing with Evelyn on her choice of clothing.

Huffing and stomping her foot she grabbed the brown scarf from my hands, dangling it around her neck like it might strangle her.

Taking it as a win I bolted across the hall to grab the phone on its last rings.

“Hello?”

“Emmalyn? It’s Jacquie.” I sat up straighter at the sound of Ethan’s mothers voice, Evelyn’s grandmother.

“Jacquie, hi how are you?” I walked back out of my room into Evelyn’s room. She was nowhere to be found.

“Very good. I trust everything is good with my granddaughter?” I nodded before realizing she couldn’t see me.

“Yep, just enjoying the holidays. We’re about to go look at Christmas lights.” Evelyn was sitting in the living room, patiently putting on her shoes. The brown scarf I had given her was nowhere in site.

“Oh well, we won’t keep you then. Just wanted to invite you and Evelyn around for lunch tomorrow.” I narrowed my eyes at Evelyn who tried to look as innocent as possible.

“I’m sorry I actually work all day tomorrow.” I replied to Jacquie, searching the area for the brown scarf that Evelyn refused to wear because it didn’t look like Christmas had threw up all over it.

“Well how about we look after Evelyn for the day?” I stopped looking and frowned down at the phone for a minute.

“Are you sure? I mean we could just come over afterwards if you wanted to see her?” I offered.

“Nonsense, we don’t mind having her for the day. It’s been awhile.” I tried not to feel guilty at the tone Jacquie used. I wasn’t trying to block them from Evelyn’s life it was just I worked nearly every day, our lives were busy and I didn’t often feel like visiting everyone on my days off. “You just drop her around in the morning before you head to work.”

“Well if you sure?” I hedged not wanting to seem like I was dumping her on them.

“Of course. We will see you then. Bye Emmalyn.”

“Bye.” I responded to the dial tone. That conversation was slightly less friendly then the normal ones we had.

“Guess you’re seeing your grandparents tomorrow bub.” I turned to Evelyn and smiled fondly as she continued to try and tie her laces. She was getting pretty close. I kneeled down in front of her to help with the rest. “And where is that scarf?”

She shrugged innocently and tapped her boots together once I had finished tying them.

“We’re not going to see any Christmas lights if you don’t wear a scarf.” I warned her receiving a pout in return.

“But it’s not Chwistmas cwolours. I want my red won.”

“You’re red scarf is in the wash sweetie. Can’t you just where brown tonight?” I sighed when she shook her head. “How about my blue one? Blue is a Christmas colour right?” I waited patiently as she screwed her face up in thought before finally conceding to the blue scarf. Exhaling in relief I ran to my room and grabbed the blue scarf along with my red trench coat that Evelyn had picked out for me tonight.

I threw the scarf at Evelyn when someone knocked on the door.

“Quick, throw it on, that will be the boys.” Evelyn stood up quickly with the scarf pulled on; following after me when I pulled open the door.

Mason, Dylan and Jonah all stood in front of me decked out in Christmas sweaters. I blinked and laughed at each matching one. Jonah’s was under another coat and a scarf but you could still see the tops of it to know that it matched.

“Aren’t you just an adorable family?” I teased them while Mason and Dylan both just beamed, Dylan’s blonde hair had red sparkles all through it while Mason had tied gold tinsel around his sandy brown hair.

“I weally like your scarf.” Jonah announced loudly when Evelyn appeared from behind my legs. I watched them fondly as Evelyn beamed and wrapped her small chubby arms around Jonah. I grabbed my bag from the table beside the door before locking the door behind us.

“There are a few places around her that are lit up, I noticed last night.” Dylan commented as we headed down the stairs and out the front. The cool night air whipped around us and I eyed Evelyn to make sure she was warm enough. She didn’t seem phased about the wind.

“You two hold hands and walk in front of us.” Mason called out to the two excited kids in front of us. “And don’t cross any streets without us.” I smiled as Jonah and Evelyn grabbed hands quickly and headed down the street, eyes already set on the first house lit up not so far away. I accepted both Mason and Dylan’s arms and linked us together. I was much warmer cushioned between the both of them.

“So Mason said you had trouble with decorating the other day?” Eyeing the happy children I nodded at Dylan.

“She’s been fine since but I don’t know. I guess I’m just waiting for the next bomb to drop since it is Christmas and everywhere she looks she’s going to see happy families with all their family members still around. Sometimes I think it’s a miracle that she can still smile.”

“Christmas seems to have made her happier.” Mason commented while we slowed down out from of a brightly decorated house so the kids could admire the lights.

“For now yeah. Her grandparents want to see her tomorrow so maybe that will keep her happier.”

“Ethan’s parents?” Dylan questioned. I nodded. “Weren’t they the ones that were not happy with you looking after her?”

“At the start they weren’t but I think it’s kind of grown on them. I’m sure they can see how much I love her and I’m trying to make her happy.”

“And plus both Ethan and Erin chose you too look after her, they should respect her wishes.” Mason cut in. I laughed and shook my head.

“Trust me if you knew my sister you would just assume she either forced Ethan into agreeing with it or just decided without asking. She did what she wanted.” I admitted to them both. Mason laughed while Dylan called out to the two kids to slow down. They were walking too far ahead of us. Jonah insisted we hurry up instead.

“You should come to our Christmas party next week. Adults only.” Mason nudged me into Dylan.

“Yeah we’re leaving Jonah with Jennie.” Jennie being the fifteen-year-old girl in our apartment complex who is often babysitting everyone’s children. “You know Evelyn and Jonah are more likely to behave for her when they’re together rather than alone.” I agreed with that. Jonah and Evelyn seemed to busy being in their own little world together to bother wreaking havoc in our world.

“I don’t know guys. I’m not really going to know anyone there.” I hesitated; I also hadn’t ever left Evelyn alone at night before. I only ever left her with people during the day; I didn’t know how she would take it.

“You know us, and Harry will be there.” Mason’s subtlety needed working on. I shook my head at him and let go of them both so I could hold hands with Evelyn and Jonah as we crossed the road, praising them along the way for waiting patiently.

“You can’t tell me you and Harry don’t get along.” Mason teased when I joined them again. I shook my head and made a face at Dylan.

“Harry is a lovely guy.” I told him, smiling at Dylan’s laughter.

“He’s also extremely good looking.” Mason added in. I laughed when Dylan reached behind me to smack Mason across the head. I squealed when Mason turned around to reach for Dylan keeping me between them so I was sandwiched between their awkward, playful hug.

“Daddy! Papa!”

“Aunty Emmy!” We turned to see both children watching us disapprovingly. Trying not too laugh we all straightened up and apologised instantly. Evelyn and Jonah eventually turned around and continued walking.

“God they’re going to be strict with their kids.” I commented to Mason and Dylan when we continued following them. Mason looked ecstatic.

“This is going to be a thing isn’t it? Where they will be childhood sweethearts who stay friends all through schooling until they reach their senior years when they realised they’re attracted to each other then eventually they marry each other and have heaps of kids.” I shook my head as Mason practically peed himself with excitement over his own vision. Dylan just seemed overly fond of his husband.

“Wow. It’s scary how much thought you’ve put into your five year olds relationship with another five year old.” I was actually slightly freaked out.

“No judging.” Mason pointed an accusing finger at me and pouted.

“Never.” I promised, linking our arms and pulling him closer to Dylan and me.

“Dylan!” Dylan wrenched himself out of my grasp to look across the opposite side of the road.

“Harry!” Dylan called back. I turned in shock to see Harry standing on the opposite side of the road with a group of people. Dylan glanced around before quickly crossing the road to the other side to greet Harry with a hug.

“Well what a coincidence.” Dylan sighed from next to me. His arm still linked with mine while I watched the kids explore the house we were standing out front of. The lights were bright and flickered in different patterns. But the owners of the house had also set up little scenes throughout their front yard. There was a nativity scene on one side of the yard, next to that a large train set that played Christmas music while the train continuously drove around with circles, the lights flickering to the beat of the song. Jonah and Evelyn were more interested in the small Santa’s workshop set up with robotic elves lifting presents and putting them down repeatedly.

“A part of me thinks you planned this, somehow. Especially while you’re wearing that smirk.” I poked Mason’s cheek as he tried to school his expression.

“Harry!” Mason winked at me before moving towards the side of the road to greet Harry as he and Dylan headed back over to us. Harry pulled Mason into a hug, clapping each other on the backs before pulling apart.

“Emmalyn.” Harry turned to smile at me. I waved back at him.

“Stalking me again I see.” I teased, glancing over at Evelyn and Jonah quickly before walking over to the three boys.

“This time is completely coincidental, I swear.” Harry held up his hands in surrender.

“So the other times were planned?” I questioned, laughing as Harry flushed and shook his head.

“Where are the little ones?” Harry glanced around until I gestured over towards Santa’s workshop where both Evelyn and Jonah seemed to be trying to start a conversation with the robotic elves.

“I’ll grab them.” Dylan jogged over to them, their squeals could be heard from where we were standing on the side of the road. People looked over fondly as they walked past. Dylan headed back over dangling Jonah upside down while Evelyn sat on his shoulders.

“Harry!” Evelyn squealed excitedly and pulled on Dylan’s hair making him wince.

“Come here you.” Harry grinned and reached up to pull Evelyn off Dylan’s shoulders. My heart skipped a beat as Harry pretended to drop her much to the delight of Evelyn. Harry shot me an apologetic look after hearing my gasp. I glared at him in response but let them have their moment. Jonah’s giggles drowned at what they were saying as Dylan continuously swung him upside down, occasionally pulling him upright.

“Help me Daddy.” Jonah giggled out to Mason who made roaring noises every time Dylan swung Mason near him. I couldn’t help but laugh at them. They were an adorable family, both Mason and Dylan loved Jonah more than anything. I envied that Jonah had that and Evelyn didn’t.

“Aunty Emmy, Harry has deer.” Emmalyn pointed to Harry’s sweater that id have reindeers decorated all over it. I laughed and walked closer to them so I could hear them both better.

“Did’ya Mum make you wear that?” I teased Harry, reaching over to fix up Evelyn’s beanie.

“Yes, actually she did.” Harry straightened up and puffed his chest out. I laughed along with Evelyn who poked Harry’s chest and he instantly deflated, letting out a long gush of air.

“Have you guys visited the house two streets over? The large one who’s tuned all their lights with the wish you a merry Christmas song?” Harry asked us all.

“No! Why on Earth haven’t we?” Dylan asked excitedly making Mason laugh and grab Jonah from his excited hands.

“Come on, I can show you all.” Harry gestured down the street and everyone immediately fell into step with him.

“What about your friends?” I gestured at the large group of people hanging out front of the house across the road still. Harry waved over at them and received a few back before turning to look at me, shrugging.

“We were all heading home anyway, so may as well join you guys.” Harry jiggled Evelyn in his arms; she smiled but tried to squirm out.

“I want to walk. Aunty Emmy can’t I walk wif ‘Onah.” Harry waited until I nodded before putting her on the ground. She raced over to Jonah and grabbed his hand, both sticking with a cuddling Dylan and Mason.

“How long have you guys been out for?” Harry asked, falling into step beside me as we trailed behind everyone else.

“About half an hour.” I glanced at my watch. “Evelyn insisted we go tonight.” I smiled as Evelyn and Jonah swung their entwined hands together while they waited to cross the road with Mason and Dylan.

“It really is weird how much I keep running into you, isn’t it?” Harry looked at me weirdly, intensely.

“I swear I am not stalking you.” I held up my hands in defense and Harry grinned, chuckling before offering his arm to me. I eyed it hesitantly for a moment before entwining our arms and leaning against Harry comfortably.

“Did you work today?” Harry asked curiously, I nodded in reply.

“And I will tomorrow and the two days after that.” I whined to him.

“Did you want me to look after Evelyn tomorrow?” Harry offered sweetly but I shook my head.

“She’s actually going to her grandparents tomorrow, on her fathers side. Which will be good because I’ll be able to get some Christmas shopping done for her. Do you know anywhere that sells elephants?” I asked him curiously. I drew his eyebrows together in confusion. “Real ones?” I elaborated making him snort and shake his head.

“It’s all the Evelyn wants plus the other hundred animals she wrote on her list and I don’t wan to let her down. But I don’t think stuffed toys is going to cut it this year for her.” I complained to Harry who continued to laugh at my predicament.

“You could take her to the zoo on Boxing Day or something as part of the present.”

“Yeah I was thinking about that. Probably go into London for the day. I know it will be busy well busier then usual but it might be a good day out so then we can go to the zoo and she can feed an elephant then.” I mused. It could work, if I found her other presents for the day and maybe wrapped up tickets or a pamphlet to the zoo and explain to her I would be taking her the next day.

We caught up to Mason and Dylan not long later who had slowed down considerably since the street became full of people who were walking around visiting lit up houses. The house that Harry was taking us too had the biggest crowd around it. I picked up Evelyn who surprisingly went without complaint. To intrigued by the lights and music in front of us.

“Come on.” Harry grabbed my free hand and tugged me through the crowd of people. I pulled Evelyn close and allowed Harry to guide me through until we were closer to the front of the house where we could see the show properly. I watched as Evelyn’s eyes grew in delight and she clapped her hands together excited.

The lights changed in colour and pattern to the beat of “We Wish You A Merry Christmas”. The song had been sped up in certain parts so the lights lit up faster before disappearing and another part or image lit up in turn. It was amazing.

Evelyn sung loudly to the music and Harry soon joined in with her, singing horribly. I laughed at them both while Harry purposefully sung the wrong chords and out of time with Evelyn.

I glanced around at the large crowd around us in search of Mason and Dylan. They weren’t too far away all three of them wrapped up together and pointing and laughing loudly at the display in front of us. That’s when I really took in the people around us. Most were families but there were a few separate people as well, all standing in a big group, laughing and singing along together. It created an intoxicating atmosphere where no one could be angry or annoyed, just joyful. I was so grateful that Evelyn could be apart of this right now. Be affected with happiness from all the people around her in this moment.

I looked to Harry and smiled gratefully, his eyes were glued to the scene in front of us so I reached out to squeeze his hand. He glanced over at me in surprise.

“Thank you.” I said, motioning to Evelyn when he looked confused. He smiled genuinely and nuzzled his nose into the hair that was peaking out from the side of her beanie covering her temple. I smiled so wide that my cheeks hurt. He moved closer so his body was placed closer to mine and behind Evelyn who sat on my waist.

“You’re welcome.” He whispered into my ear making me shiver.

“Look Aunty Emmy, it’s Santa.” I followed to where Evelyn was pointed and gaped in surprise at the same man who was Santa at the Shopping Centre standing across the group of people, staring at us. He smiled and waved; Evelyn bounced in my arms and waved back. I nudged Harry and motioned over towards him. He narrowed his eyes at the man before looking to me and shrugging.

“Wave Aunty Emmy, Harry.” Evelyn ordered us both. I looked back over to the man only to see him gone.

“Where did he go?” I asked worriedly, glancing around behind us to see if he was actually moving closer. Harry’s warm body next to mine was a comfort while my panic grew.

“Well he can’t hang ‘round all night Aunty Emmy. Don’t be silly, Santa’s ‘ery busy.” Evelyn rolled her eyes at me before turning her attention back to the show in front of us.

Harry shot me a disbelieving look before turning his attention back to the lights as well. I bit my lip and looked around one last time while pulling Evelyn tighter against my body. Something was off about that man.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for the lovely new comments! I'm so glad you are all enjoying this so far! :)

Also just wanted to point out that I'm not really sure how Christmas works overseas but in Australia we tend to walk around the streets some nights in areas that have lots of Christmas lights up (well my family and friends do anyway) so I would assume that this is like a normal thing but just in case it's not! haha! (You guys should tell me about traditions that you all do for Christmas, I would love to hear them and maybe incorporate some into the story!) Also the house that's lights that are tuned to music is actually a house I visited last night in Australia. It was amazing so I wanted to add it into the story :D

Thanks for reading! xx