Oh, Saint Nick

Eighteen

I grabbed everything I needed to take home and made sure that Evelyn got her coat before heading to the front of the shop. Harry should be here any minute to pick us up, hopefully.

“Hey if you need to you can call Logan in to work tomorrow. He’s free all day.” I told Nicky who was cleaning a few tables off to the side of the shop. She nodded in understanding. Evelyn padded out of the kitchen trying to pull her coat on. “Did you say goodbye to Dee?” She stopped and rolled her eyes before turning around and marching back into the kitchen. I smiled fondly and turned back to Nicky.

“Who is Harry talking to?” Nicky asked, looking out the large windows to the outside of the shop where Harry was chatting with an old large man. I laughed gleefully as Harry spared a glance in our direction before continuing to chat with the man.

“That is Stalker Santa.” I explained to Nicky, confusion was clear on her face. Evelyn walked back out of the kitchen as Harry escaped Stalker Santa and walked through the door. He had a disbelieving look on his face.

“What?” I asked Harry curiously, kneeling to help Evelyn with her coat buttons.

“I asked his name.” I looked at Harry confused as he stared back about to laugh.

“What about it?” I insisted, wanting to know what was so funny.

“It’s Nick.” I looked at Harry unsure at what he was getting at. “His name is Nick as in short for Nicholas like Saint Nick, Santa’s real name.” Harry elaborated further, laughing I shook my head and fixed up Evelyn’s coat before standing, grabbed my bag and the box of biscuits I was taking home.

“So?” I shook my head at him and checked my bag to make sure everything was there. “It’s a coincidence of he’s lying.”

“I don’t think he’s lying and I don’t believe in coincidences.” I shot Harry a strange look while taking Evelyn’s hand.

“I’m not following.” I hedged towards the door, thinking Harry would follow but he didn’t.

“What if he’s the real thing? What if he’s Santa?” Harry shot Evelyn a look while speaking softly. I blinked and realised that he was actually serious.

“Have you been sleeping well lately?” I asked half teasing and half worried. Maybe he needed this holiday more than anyone realised. Harry just glared and finally walked to the door with us. I threw a wave to Nicky and followed Harry out.

“Just think about it. He knows more about you and me than he should, Evelyn thinks he’s Santa and he’s always around.” Harry elaborated. I couldn’t believe he was actually reasoning this.

“Most of those points are grounds to get him, if not arrested, at least watched under suspicion of being a stalker. And I don’t think what a five-year-old thinks should be classed as a fact.” I told him as we walked into the car park. “And Harry seriously? Santa?”

“Well you have to admit it does make some sense.” Harry pleaded with me. I shook my head and stopped next to his car.

“You’ve officially lost it, mate.” I clapped his shoulder and stepped back as he opened the back seat door. Evelyn’s car seat was sitting there, not strapped in yet.

“So I tried to put it in but it quickly became a hopeless cause.” Harry gestured hopelessly at the seat. I laughed and handed Harry my bag and biscuits and instructed Evelyn to stand there while I half climbed into the car to buckle it in.

“I’ve had lots of practice. The first time Erin and I tried to buckle the seat in it was disastrous. It ended in yelling and tears.” I smiled triumphantly when the first piece clicked into place and moved on to the second strap. “And I was the one in tears, Erin had yelled so much that she almost lost her voice. Probably the highlight of that day. We all enjoyed some peace and quiet.” I told Harry finally strapping in the last piece and pulling on the chair to ensure it was secure.

“Up you get bub.” I had to lift Evelyn up into the car before she scrambled over the seats into hers. I shut the door and turned to grab my stuff from Harry. He was zones out for a moment before realising and quickly smiled in assurance and moved to the other side of the car to get in.

I watched him for a moment before climbing into the front passenger seat and turning around to make sure Evelyn was okay. Harry’s phone beeped and we waited patiently for him to read it before he started the car.

“What do you want to do when we get home?” I asked Evelyn who shrugged and played with her seat belt. I frowned at how quiet she was. “We could watch a movie?” she shook her head. “Maybe make a cake?” Another shake of her head. “Do you want to see Jonah?” Another shake. I frowned and bit my lip, wondering what had made her go so quiet. “We could just have some quiet time, maybe colour in or read a book?” I suggested. This time she shrugged; I took that as better confirmation then a shake of the head.

“Are you going to be at Mason and Dylan’s on Friday night?” Harry asked, finally putting his phone down and reversing out of his park. I shrugged and turned away from Evelyn.

“Maybe I haven’t thought too much about it. Mason and Dylan wanted me to leave Evelyn with Jonah at this girl that we get to babysit them that lives in the complex but I’m not sure.”

“Why not?” Harry glanced at me before turning left at the first intersection.

“I guess I’m just not comfortable with leaving her alone at night.” I shrugged and glanced back at Evelyn who seemed preoccupied with the outside world rather then what was happening within the car. It was very odd that she hadn’t been chatting with Harry.

“She’ll be in the same building, you can check on her all the time.” Harry pointed out. “It would do you good to interact with people outside of your work and family.”

“I’m interacting with you.” I pointed out to him. He rolled his eyes but conceded.

“If you come I was thinking we could hang out? Maybe I could come to your place and we could…” Harry trailed off and I smiled widely.

“You could what? Walk me across the hall?” I teased him. He frowned and shook his head, pulling into the underground parking of my apartment.

“Never mind.” I frowned as Harry shifted the car into park and moved to get out of the car. I grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

“Harry are you asking me to go to the party with you?” I asked him not meaning to tease him so much. He sighed and run a hand through his hair before nodding. I smiled at how surprisingly shy he was acting before glancing at Evelyn who was watching us curiously. “I would really like that.” I smiled at him, his eyes widened before he smiled widely back. Elation clear across his face. I laughed, his happiness contagious, before getting out of the car, Harry was already unstrapping Evelyn humming to her softly. I was surprised when she hung onto his neck, making him carry her and the car seat towards the stairs. I grew more worried the quieter she was. Harry didn’t seem to notice, just held on to her tightly.

I unlocked my apartment and took Evelyn off Harry and carried her into her room. Harry, thankfully, waited out in the living room.

“You want talk about what’s wrong?” I asked Evelyn. She shook her head and climbed out of my arms to go sit at the small table and chairs I had set up in her room so she could draw. I hesitated before deciding to leave her alone. Maybe she needed time to herself before she would talk to me.

“Everything okay?” Harry asked when I walked back out, grabbing the car seat and placing it near the door so I would remember to put it back in my car when I got it back.

“I’m not sure. She’s not talking to me; I’m worried she’s not normally this quiet. Well she hadn’t been this quiet since everything happened.” I gestured vaguely but I knew Harry understood.

“How is she dealing with that?” He asked curiously, taking a seat down on my couch. I glanced at the Christmas tree that was missing a topper before shrugging at him.

“I’m not really sure. Some days I think it’s going good. The last couple of days have been pretty great since she’s distracted by Christmas. But then at times things go bad. Like the other day she threw a tantrum and now we can’t put the star on the tree because that’s what her Dad did. It’s little things like that. Little traditions or routines that set her off and I honestly don’t know how to deal with it.” It felt easier to handle it all after telling Harry, easier to breathe. “I have no idea if what I’m doing is actually helping her at all.”

“If it helps, she’s a really happy child. She’s happy and vibrant and smart. I think you’re doing a great job with her.” I smiled at Harry, a warm feeling spreading through my body.

“Thank you.” I told him seriously, before smiling at him. “Although this is coming form the guy who thinks Santa is real and has nothing better to do than follow me around every day.” Harry groaned and rested his head on the back of the couch, closing his eyes.

“Nothing else explains it any better.” He tried to reason. I shook my head, laughing.

“I can’t believe you. You actually sound like you’re starting to believe yourself.” I pointed out to him. He shrugged and grinned sheepishly. “You know Santa isn’t real right?”

Harry rolled his eyes before poking me in the ribs making me jump in surprise before scooting away from him and batting his other hands away.

“No, no tickling.” I warned him, grabbing onto his hand in a tight hold. Harry’s eyes flickered down to my lips briefly before he innocently looked back at me. I noticed how close we were sitting and promptly dropped his hands and scooted away. There was a time where I would have kissed him probably taken it further then just making it out. But I’ve changed a lot in a short amount of time and I had a kid to think about now. I couldn’t just jump into these types of relationships without knowing if it actually was going to turn about to be a relationship. Harry was only going to be here for Christmas. Harry cleared his throat after an awkward silence and I threw a tentative smile his way.

“So I was actually wondering when your next day off work was?” Harry changed the subject, leaning back against the couch trying to diffuse the tension that had filled up the room.

“Tomorrow.” I answered him, scooting back until I reached the armrest and turned so I was facing Harry and my back was flushed with the armrest. Harry’s face lit up.

“Oh, well I was going to see if you and Evelyn wanted to go ice skating?” I stared at him for a moment before laughing at the random idea. It did sound fun though; I hadn’t been ice-skating in such a long time and I wasn’t even sure if Evelyn ever had. “We could go ice-skating and maybe get some lunch?” Harry continued to prompt, a hopeful look on his face. I debated and wondered if it would at least make Evelyn feel a little better, distract her again.

“Yeah okay, that sounds good.” I conceded and smiled happily at Harry’s joy.

“Great. I can come pick you both up in the morning. Maybe get your number so I can text you when I’m coming.” I grinned and chuckled at Harry’s lack of tact but entered in my phone number into his phone.

“Smooth Styles.” I patted his shoulder before disappearing down the hallway to quickly check on Evelyn. She was sitting contently at her table, crayons and paper scattered around her while she drew. I smiled at her before gently rapping my knuckles against the doorjamb.

“Did you want anything to eat love?” She debated for a moment and tapped the red crayon against her cheek.

“Cookies and milk?” she questioned her voice still abnormally softer. But there was a shy smile to her face that I couldn’t help but indulge. Nodding I headed back into the kitchen. Harry followed me in, slipping on the jacket he had taken off.

“I have to go. Promised Mum I would pick up my sister from the airport.” Harry said, zipping up his jacket and fishing out his keys.

“Okay, thank you for picking us up today. You saved us from the cold” I walked Harry to the door.

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” Harry check with me, pausing in the doorway. I nodded and allowed him to kiss my cheek before he headed towards the stairs. Smiling I turned back to the apartment and headed back to the kitchen grabbing a plate of cookies and a glass of milk humming to myself softly.

“Gotta pee.” Evelyn rushed past me when I walked into her room. Fondly, I walked over to her table and sat the plate and cup down. Moving a few pieces of paper around to make room. Curiously I took a seat and looked over a few pieces of paper.

Most were of people, it took a couple of tries to realise that the figures were supposed to resembled Erin, Ethan and Evelyn. Most of them were happy with other animals in the background, the Elephant and Giraffe were the only animals I could discern. I even found myself in a few pictures and possibly Jonah in another.

Her old house was only drawn in one and I frowned at the lack of people in the drawing. Instead the house just looked empty and lonely. Another picture had been brushed away, underneath the box of crayons. I wasn’t sure if that meant it was important or unimportant.

I was shocked, however, once I pulled the picture out. I glanced towards the door quickly before looking back down at the picture. It was of a car, upside down, other cars around it. One car that had a blue and red bubble on top, which I realised, must represent an ambulance or the police. There were two faces that appeared within the car windows, hair the same colour as Ethan and Erin but they had crosses over their eyes; the universal sign for death in drawings. Shocked I tried not to cry staring at the horrific picture that Evelyn had drawn. I wasn’t even aware she knew how her parents died. I hadn’t told her and she hadn’t asked. I thought that later, when she was older, we could have the conversation.

I heard the bathroom tap turn on and I quickly put the drawings back, hesitating before placing the car crash scene underneath the box of crayons. I wanted to know what Evelyn was going to do with it, whether she would throw it out or keep it.

She barely looked at me when she got back to the room but immediately went for the cookies and milk, wolfing them down. I scrutinized her and wondered if she really was as happy and dealing with this as well as I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Date night planned!

xx