Oh, Saint Nick

Seventeen

“Are you ready to go bub?” I asked Evelyn, knocking my knuckles against the door lightly. She glanced up from her drawings and nodded excitedly. I watched, intently, as she packed up her pieces of paper and slide them into an old decorated box I had given her to place them in. I was disappointed, however when she left the box on the table and ran to her closet to grab her coat.

I was curious to know if she was hiding any of her drawings around her room, whether she had anymore car crash drawings or the one I found was her first and last.

“Ready.” She smiled brightly, appearing in front of me with her red trench coat only half buttoned haphazardly up her body.

“Gloves.” I reminded her before leaving to answer the knock at the door. I swung it open and smiled warmly Harry who stood on the other side, all smiles and warm, dark clothing.

“Harry.” Evelyn squealed excitedly, running past me and into Harry, he stumbled slightly as she wrapped her little arms around his legs. Grinning he knelt down in front of her to help button her coat up properly while she chatted, hand flying around wildly. I shared an amused look with Harry before grabbing my bag and car seat from beside the door and locked it behind us.

I stayed silent and watched as Harry carried Evelyn down the stairs to his car, listening intently and nodding at all the right parts in her conversation. She was much better today; she seemed to have woken up in a suddenly better mood. I was suspicious at the start, thought that maybe she was just putting on an act but as the day went on it became more obvious that she was feeling like herself again.

She would probably be more exhausting today just to make up for her good, quiet behavior from yesterday.

“So have you been ice skating before?” Harry asked Evelyn when we were all seated in his car and he was already reversing onto the main road. I shot Harry a look, turning to console Evelyn when she replied.

“Yes. Mummy and Daddy took me all da time.” Her breath didn’t catch and she didn’t frown. Just smiled at me dazzlingly when I turned, expecting to comfort her. Disconcerted I turned back to face the front, Harry shot me a confused look.

“That’s good then.” Harry said slowly obviously at a loss as to why I reacted so intensely to that question. “What about Aunty Emmalyn, has she gone ice skating?” Harry asked, shooting me a small smile. Evelyn giggled from behind us.

“She not your Aunty silly.” She laughed louder like the notion of me being Harry’s Aunt was hilarious to her. “And o’course she skates.” She continued in a tone that left no room for argument. I shrugged at Harry.

“I’m okay, I can stay upright so that counts right?” Harry laughed and agreed with me. “Truthfully though, if Evelyn ever made me race, she would probably win. I’m from Australia we weren’t born to skate on ice.” I defended myself the same way Erin and I always defended ourselves when someone brought it up. We could roller blade as well as we walked, it came natural to us after spending so long when we were younger riding them out and around our suburb. I credited my ability to stay upright on ice skates because of my innate ability to roller skate, however that’s as far as that skill takes me on the ice.

“Well me and Evelyn will look after you today.” Harry promised, turning into the parking lot of the local ice skating rink. I shivered the moment we stepped out of the car into the chilled air before pulling Evelyn out of her car seat. She was too excited to worry about the cold.

“Did either of you have your own skates?” Harry asked, coming around the car to join us. I shook my head and frowned.

“They’re probably in the boxes at the old house.” I told him, not wanting to mention too much about the house. I hadn’t taken Evelyn back since we left and I hated going back there unless it was for something that we definitely needed. The boxes were and emptiness of the house was always depressing.

“Well we can just rent some out then.” Harry said simply, falling into step next to me and rested his hand on my lower back, guiding me through the crowds of people. It wasn’t necessary but I didn’t stop him, it was nice walking so close together.

We received a fair amount of looks when people began to realise who Harry was. Evelyn didn’t seem to notice but instead bounced excitedly in line, glancing at the amount of people constantly in front of us, obviously confused as to why it wasn’t moving faster. I envied her ignorance of the rest of the world as everywhere I looked people were already watching us. I shifted uncomfortably and Harry threw me an apologetic smile making me feel instantly guilty. This wasn’t Harry’s fault and I didn’t want to ruin the day but being uncomfortable and awkward to him because of the people watching.

Mentally shaking myself, I pulled Evelyn closer to me for comfort before sliding into Harry’s space more to start a conversation. He seemed surprised by my actions at first before he relaxed and also too a step closer. I could easily chat to him about anything, it started with the bakery to Harry’s own bakery that he used to work at. Soon enough we were discussing his mother’s favourite recipe and how she had tried my brownies the other day. She had apparently bought some from the shop when I wasn’t around. Harry blushed, telling me that his Mum knew all about me. The thought made me much warmer.

Evelyn was pulling out attention to her shortly after when we reached the front of the line. We ordered our skates and I ignored Harry’s offer to pay. He grinned at my ignorance and just followed us to bench to sit on. Harry ties his skates up quite quickly before moving to help Evelyn. I struggled with mine for a while longer.

“Need help?” Harry offered with a cheeky smile. I slapped his hands away and successfully tested the skates, standing up slowly. I beamed with pride while Evelyn already began to scurry off towards the rink. I gestured Harry away and watched with apprehension when she slowly stepped onto the ice, Harry hovered worriedly from behind her but she glided on easily like she had been doing it much longer then her short amount of years. I realised I was extremely jealous of a five-year-old girl.

Harry kept an eye on me when I followed them and slowly stepped onto the rink, my hands holding tightly to the outside while I gained my balance, I was tempted to fist pump in excitement when I didn’t fall over. However there were young children spinning in circles and leaping through the air without falling over, my accomplishment would seem ridiculous to them. Harry, however, sweetly praised me while holding on to Evelyn’s hand so she didn’t skate off.

“You think you can let go of the railing?” Harry asked innocently, I shot him a glare and he held his empty hand up in defense. Taking a deep breath I wobbled slightly before letting go and sliding a few centimeters forward. Once again, I didn’t. I almost squealed in delight. I held back however when I noticed how impatient and bored Evelyn was becoming.

“Alright let’s do this.” I nodded to Harry, acting braver and more confident then I was actually feeling. He rolled his eyes and held out his spare hand to me. I hesitated and eyed the hand that was clutching onto Evelyn. I knew people were taking photos of us and I knew that the whole world was probably going to see this I just hadn’t decided if I cared yet.

The large smile on Evelyn’s face told me I didn’t care so I took Harry’s hand and held on tightly. He squeezed my hand back and pulled me closer. His warmth was almost hypnotizing but I stopped myself before I embarrassingly tackled him and snuggled closer in public.

“Ready?” Harry asked, I nodded slowly while Evelyn already began moving her legs forward; Harry and I had no choice but to do the same. We stayed on the outside where couples, friends and families were already holding hands and slowly following the shape of the rink, a few people weaving in and out but no one being reckless or dangerous too close to the younger ones. I had a feeling Evelyn would grow up to be one of the reckless ones as she already tugged on Harry’s hand trying to make us skate faster. Harry held her back though, making sure that I was always comfortable with the pace we had set. I thanked him mentally as I was practically at my limit on speed.

I let us circle a couple more times before getting out of the rink insisting Harry take Evelyn around as fast as she wanted to go. Harry hesitated but Evelyn was already pulling Harry a long, pushing her little legs as fast as she could go while hanging on to Harry’s hand. I trudged over to our bench and began taking off my skirts to replace with my boots. I smiled as Harry spun Evelyn around, catching her the few times she grew too dizzy and almost fell over. I tried not to jump up and run out there every time she tipped sideways.

Eventually I grabbed my phone and stepped up to the side of the rink, zooming the lens in to take photos of Evelyn smiling broadly, her cheeks rosy pink and her hair whipping behind her. After a few shots of her I zoomed out enough to fit Harry in the frame. His eyes trained on her and occasionally glancing ahead of them to make sure they wouldn’t hit anything. I smiled at the photos. Harry seemed almost in love with her, at least completely smitten to anyone who didn’t know either of them. Although I had only known Harry for a week, I doubted I belonged in the category of knowing Harry Styles.

I called out to Harry and he pulled Evelyn over so they could get a photo together. Harry crouched down to her level and they pulled faces at the camera before taking off, Evelyn almost knocking Harry onto his ass. I laughed and was about to se my camera up to take a video when someone came to stand next to him. I almost groaned out loud when I saw who it was.

“Hello Emmalyn.” I couldn’t help but smile at the usual Christmas attire that Stalker Santa was wearing. His green pants and red top brought a lot of attention to him. One little kid insisted to his parents, as they walked past, that that was Santa. I frowned at the coincidence when Evelyn insisted on calling him Santa too. It was a little odd that Evelyn could tell he was the Santa at the Shopping Centre when he wasn’t wearing his suit before I even could. “I see you and Evelyn are having a good day.”

“You could say that.” I conceded, glancing over to see Harry and Evelyn heading straight for us. Harry had a strange intense look on his face as he regarded Stalker Santa.

“Maybe you have a wish today?” He asked curiously, leaning on the side of the rink when Evelyn came in hearing range.

“Santa.” She cried, sliding to a stop and grabbing onto the bar excitedly.

“Hello young Evelyn. Master Styles.”

“Nick.” Harry nodded back. I snorted loudly at Harry still believing that Stalker Santa’s name was Nick or Nicholas. Stalker Santa sent me an amused look before turning his attention back to Evelyn.

“And how is your Christmas young lady? Have you been getting everything you wished for?” He asked her curiously. She widened her eyes and giggled.

“You don’t get anyfing till Chwistmas day Santa!”

“Not true!” He cried out, shaking his head. “Christmas miracles can happen all throughout the festive season. You just have to wish hard enough for them.” He winked at her and Evelyn slyly looked over towards Harry who had the decency to blush at the hint that he may have been her wish.

“Well I have plenty of things to do today, people to visit, wishes to grant.” Stalker Santa winked at Evelyn who burst into giggles like they had their own private joke before he nodded to both Harry and I, then left. A few kids called out and waved to him along the way. Parents seemed to share a look of confusion.

“Sweetie.” I pulled Evelyn’s attention back to me. “How did you know that was Santa when he’s not wearing his suit?” She rolled her eyes and shook her head at me. I immediately felt like I had asked a stupid question.

“He doesn’t wear his suit all the time Aunty! He doesn’t have enough.” Her reasoning was justified to her and I didn’t have the heart to take away her happiness by telling her that that man wasn’t Santa. I met Harry’s eyes and shook my head at his pleading look.

“Don’t.” I warned him. It was one thing to indulge Evelyn’s fantasy but it was another for Harry and I to spurt that crap around especially if his was her idea of a joke or a lie. If she truly believed that that man was Santa I certainly wasn’t going to disrupt her fantasy but I didn’t want to encourage her if she was lying purposefully. At this point I couldn’t tell what she was thinking. Harry, thankfully, listened and didn’t mention anything about Stalker Santa again. Instead he stayed away from the subject all together.

“She was unusually quiet yesterday wasn’t she?” Harry enquired. I nodded at him while trying to pay attention to Evelyn’s long stream of chatter as we returned our skates. “I didn’t notice until today, with how much she was talking.” I was about to explain to Harry when a young girl, her mother with her, approached us. It was almost hard to say which one, mother or child, was more excited to see Harry. I pulled Evelyn towards me and we watched as Harry greeted them politely and posed for photos before moving away to walk with us again. Except now I could see everyone’s eyes on us again and people were beginning to walk over now. Now that Harry seemed willing to talk with them they seemed less shy. Harry frowned when he noticed them all. I was worried about how Evelyn would handle such a large crowd.

“Could we meet you in the car?” Harry hesitated before I shot a meaningful look at Evelyn. He sighed before nodding and handing over his keys. I picked up a confused Evelyn and made it past everyone before a crowd of people descended upon Harry. It was frightening.

“Who are those people Aunty?” Evelyn asked, confused, when she peered over my shoulder in Harry’s supposed direction. Exhaling, I tried to figure out a way to tell her.

“You know people you see on the TV?” She nodded at me while I wound my way through parked cars trying to remember where Harry parked his car. “Well those people are famous.” She shot me a confused look. “They’re very popular, everyone wants to go and meet them and talk with them.” I paused to make sure Evelyn understood before continuing. “Well Harry’s one of those people. He sings with some other boys and a lot of people that he doesn’t know like to come and speak with him and take photos.” Crossing my fingers I hoped that was enough to help her understand. Possibly the most innocent way I could tell her about Harry’s fans without frightening her.

“Do you think Harry will sing for me?” She burst out with; I blinked at her, surprised with her trail of thought while buckling her into the car and moving to sit in the front passenger seat.

“If you ask nicely he might.” I offered to her, not sure what Harry’s stance on singing without an audience was.

“Harry’s nice.” Evelyn mentioned suddenly. She had a small frown on her face. “You like him Aunty?”

“Yes sweetie. Of course I do.” I assured her. She still frowned but it lessened slightly while she nodded taking my question seriously.

“Good. I get to keep him.” I frowned at Evelyn, confused, but as I was about to question her the door to the drivers seat opened. I gasped in shock and surprised and slumped in relief when Harry climbed in, a smile ever present on his face.

“Oh thank God.” I took a deep breath in, trying to bring my heart rate back to normal. Evelyn fell into a fit of laughter.

“NO! Thank Santa!” She yelled delighted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for not updating yesterday everyone! I had a party at my house with a whole bunch of friends and I was hoping to post a chapter before it started but I didn't get time to! So tomorrow I'm going to update twice for the day I missed out on!

xx