Burning Embers

hiding in their eyes

I gently bounced as I walked around with Lily, and before long, she fell silent again.As I set Lily into her high chair, I looked up at Gale who was frowning deeply.

"I'm sorry, Leena," was all he said.

Unable to part my lips out of fear of crying, I merely replied with a grateful nod. It took me several long moments before I could lift my head again. "It will all be okay," I murmured, trying to reassure myself that more than anyone else.

"Hey, let me help with dinner." Gale offered. "I may not have any cow meat, but I have some fresh squirrel."

"What?" I murmured in confusion, but then our previous conversation dawned on me. "You and your... friend? That girl?"

"Food is food, Leena." Gale replied. "I believe you told me that once before, too."

Typically, the thought of another girl with Gale caused envy to spark in my heart. Gale Hawthorne was a handsome boy and the girls in the schoolyard noticed. However, I was too tired tonight to put up a fight. Besides, I really couldn't deprive my starving family of food because I was being petty, so I murmured a thank you and we began to cook.

Silence fell over our little house and smothered our mouths. Everyone was too weary and too gloomy to begin a light hearted conversation. Even Callie and Dahlia sat idly in the corner. It wasn't until Griffin joined Gale and I in the kitchen did someone dare to speak.

"Okay… it has to be said. Is it just me or is Clay and Fauna hanging together weird?" Griffin asked, leaning against the wooden table.

My head snapped up and I stared at my younger brother. His question had some truth in it, but I didn't really think about it until now. "We all love Reed," I said, "but I think those two miss him the most."

"I guess," Griffin shrugged and that was the end of the conversation.

Gale and I finished cooking, and I set out the table. Clay and Fauna eventually joined us. Callie and Dahlia sipped their soup silently. Griffin and Gale exchanged small talk about school sports. My mother felt ill and retired to bed without even touching her bowl.

Everything was going as well as I could expect, but I couldn't help but watch my oldest brother and his twin's love. They stole glimpses of one another over the bread, but I couldn't tell what was hiding in their eyes. It looked like sadness and desire.

Dinner was wrapping up, and Gale kissed me goodbye. As I was cleaning the table, I dropped a spoon. As I bent down to pick it up, I noticed Fauna's hand over Clay's.