Burning Embers

the odds were not in our favor

PRESENT

"… Elwood!" Effie Trinket cheered. Silence fell over the crowd as the familiar name of a beloved member of our district was called. When no one stepped forward, Effie's smile faltered and she repeated more firmly, "Reed Elwood!"

I couldn't breathe. My family had four children eligible for the games; the odds were not in our favor, but I never imagined this turn of events. Reed's name was in there so many times, it couldn't really be a surprise... but it was. Even though sixty-three slips of paper with his name were in the glass bowl, I never imagined he would have been the one to be chosen. It was too cruel. Not Reed, not my brother. Tears blurred my vision, and my jaw hung on its hinges as I watched my brother step forward and walk onto the stage. None of it seemed real. I looked over towards where the boys stood and spotted Clay. His eyes were cast downwards, and he looked ready to break down; there was his brother, his twin, his best friend being sentenced to death.

Reed joined the girl who was previously chosen on the stage. I didn't know who the girl was, but she couldn't be much older than Callie or Dahlia. Maybe a year or two younger than Griffin? Standing next to Reed, she looked as if she didn't have a chance. Her head was bent downwards, and her dark hair fell like curtains around her face. She was terribly thin and probably would be snapped in half by Career tributes.

Did Reed stand a chance? He was able to talk himself out of any situation, but what good would that skill do in an arena full of weapons and other children out for blood? I hated to admit it aloud, but I wasn't counting on him being able to win. My practicality was causing me to lose all hope and assume the worst. After all, the last victor from District 12 was Haymitch Abernathy. The town drunk was now in charge of my brother's life.

Damn, I wanted to vomit.

My brother and the girl were carted off, and I went to gather up my siblings. Callie and Dahlia were in tears, Griffin was about two seconds from a melt down, but Clay just stood there. His eyes were distant and his mind was clearly elsewhere. I caught sight of Fauna, but she didn't see me. Her face was buried in her hands as she wept openly in the town square.

My mother had Lily in her arms. Our family was escorted to go see Reed for a final time. They locked him away in a small room like an animal. Once the Peacekeeper was gone, I ran into my brother's arms and burrowed my face into his chest.

"I'm so sorry, Reed…" I mumbled, trying my hardest not to cry.

Callie and Dahlia were in fits of tears, and Griffin was trying to act collected, but his eyes were red and he kept wiping his nose on his sleeve. I had to keep it together for my younger siblings since Clay was being of no help. He was standing off to the side just staring out the window.

Reed soothingly rubbed my back and kissed the top of my head. "I'm not dead yet, Leena. I might be able to win this thing. Come home a champion and be the hero to all of District 12." His voice was light and meant to be humorous, but when I pulled back to look at his face, I saw the fear that was in his eyes.

"Please do, Reed. Win and come home." I pleaded while reluctantly letting go.

The rest of our family took turns hugging Reed, and ensuring him that he had a chance of winning. My mother whispered something into his ear that made Reed's eyes water, but also caused a smile to warm the features on his face. All of us said our goodbyes except for Clay.

Finally, he walked over to Reed and hugged him tightly. "Win, alright? Just… please. Win." He grumbled quietly, and then turned his back and made a fast exit. Clay never had an easy time showing his emotions. Now was no exception.

We still had about fifteen minutes, but Fauna had just arrived and was outside and wanting her turn. My family shuffled out of the room, but I gave Reed one last hug.

"I love you, Reed." I told him.

He smiled, "Love you, too, little Leena. I'll see you soon, okay?"

I nodded and departed from the room. My family didn't leave right away. We were hoping to be able to see Reed off to the train that would take him away from his home, his family, and his life.

Fauna had only been in the room with Reed for about five minutes when a Peacekeeper marched through the door. I heard her cry out and beg him for more time, but only seconds later the man was dragging her out, ignoring her desperate screams.

We were told we had to go. And we did. Our family sulked off to a somehow more empty home. That night, I crawled into the bed Callie and Dahlia shared and brushed their hair off of their faces as they cried into their pillows. The night was filled with tears, but finally they wore themselves out and fell asleep. Only then did I let my own tears fall freely down my cheeks.