Burning Embers

jealousy nipping at my heart

After leaving Blaze in the schoolyard, I hurried inside and went straight to my locker. Trying to go unnoticed was a more difficult task than I imagined. Thanks to my flaming red hair, I couldn't blend in easily among my brunette classmates. Dodging apologies and awkward stares, I all but sprinted to the hall near the back where my locker was.

My fingers trembled as I spun the dial. It took me three tries, but I finally got the combination lock and the door swung open. Students were discouraged from making their locker cluttered, so mine only held my books and a small dried flower I taped to the wall. Gale picked it for me the beginning of the year, and I saved it.

I collected the books I needed for my morning classes and shut the door only to find Gale.

"Leena," He whispered before pulling me into a rib-crushing hug.

I didn't care if students were watching and whispering things about me. I hadn't seen Gale since the Reaping, and I needed this feeling of security. His arms squeezing me tightly felt as if he was trying to keep me from falling apart; it almost worked.

"I'm sorry," Gale sighed, "I'm sorry. I should have been there for you yesterday, but Vick and Posy are still sick and my mom needed the extra help so—"

"It's okay, Gale." I promised. "I understand. It was probably better that way anyway. My sisters needed me."

"Reed can win, you know," Gale murmured fiercely. "You know he can, Leena. He's strong, he knows how to survive."

I shook my head, "You're not fooling me, Gale. Thank you, but I don't believe it. Reed is too kind to be able to kill anyone. When his name was called it… it was a death sentence."

"You don't know that," Gale insisted.

Sighing, I pulled away and picked up my bag. "I can't think about it anymore," I finally said. "Let's just get through today."

❖ ❖ ❖


We were at lunch when Gale pulled out a paper sack and offered it to me. I peered inside and saw huge red strawberries piled on top of one another.

"Gale," I whispered, "where did you get those?"

"Go on. Take some." Gale insisted, pushing the bag towards me.

I bit my lip and looked at him with wide eyes. "What did you have to trade for those?" I questioned.

Gale replied with a smug smile, "Absolutely nothing. Now have one." He plucked one out and plopped it onto my tray.

Strawberries were my favorite, but I could hardly remember the last time I had one. Anything even slightly decadent was unheard of in our area of District 12. We couldn't be wasting our money on good tasting foods when nourishing ones were cheaper and would last longer.

I wasn't able to help myself much longer. I picked up the berry and put it to my lips. Inhaling deeply, I smiled at the scent. Carefully, I sunk my teeth into the red flesh and let the sweet and sour taste fill my tastebuds. I chewed several times and swallowed.

"Gale, where on earth did you find these? There are no strawberry bushes in District 12." I pointed out cautiously.

Gale nodded, "I know. They're outside."

"What?!" I gasped. "You… you went over the border? When? How? Why?"

"I've been doing it for awhile now, but I just started getting good." Gale admitted. "We weren't getting enough food just by working and trading, Leena. I had to do something else, so I went into the woods and hunted. It wasn't going too great. I'd catch one or two things maybe once a week. I was ready to just give up, but I met someone. She's been helping me."

"She?" I mumbled, a tinge of jealousy nipping at my heart.

"Her name is Katniss Everdeen," Gale informed me. He quickly put his hand over mine. "She's no threat, Leena, but she is our life savior. She's good with a bow and she's not a bad hunter gatherer either. She's the one that found the strawberries."

Suddenly, I felt my stomach church and I couldn't take another bite. Is this what Gale felt like after I offered him bread Pronze gave me?

Gale continued, "She's helping me, you, and us, Leena. She has her own family to support, but we work better together and then splitting the game."

"Why didn't you tell me about her before?" I asked, feeling hurt.

"I'm sorry," Gale frowned, squeezing my hand, "I knew you wouldn't like it because I went over the fence."

"I can't believe you did," I murmured in shock. "You would be in so much trouble if a Peacekeeper found out."

"They won't," Gale promised me.

I grimaced, "Just be careful."

"I always am," Gale assured me. "Hey, do you want me to come over tonight? For the Tributes Parade."

I almost forgot about that. Today was the same routine as always for me. Feed my family, go to school, come home and do more of the same. However, Reed's entire world was shifted upside down. I wondered if they were feeding him properly.

"I'd like that," I nodded. "I need you there."

"I'll be there," Gale vowed.