Katherine

1/1

July 7, 2014
On a warm summer night at the run down bar in Winnipeg, Canada, Jon and his group of friends went out to get a drink. Jon’s group of friends tried to help Jon get over this girl he saw over six months ago. They thought getting him drunk would help get her out of his mind. Shots after shots it didn't work at all. While the guys were trying to get a girl to come back to their place, Jon was sitting at the bar looking at his phone. The screen saver was a photo of the girl that should be in his life. She was wearing a mask so he never saw her face. Jon met this mystery woman at a masquerade ball for a charity in Chicago. The deep blue eyes, her blood red stained lips, and her long raven black hair flowing from them way she was dancing and the voice could hypnotize an army of soldiers. The only thing he could remember was her name, Katherine. Jon pressed the button that he shouldn’t have pressed. The ring made his heart jump, hoping she would answer her phone.
December 7, 2013
Jon enjoyed doing charity work for the city of Chicago. He was grateful to the hockey fans that had supported him throughout the season. This would be his first masquerade ball. Wearing a mask was intriguing to Jon. It was also exciting to show up to an event with some of his teammates as they had a limo for the night. The event was at the Art Institute of Chicago. Outside of the building photographers were swarming everywhere. Jon put his mask on after some of the photographers took his picture. When he walked in, he was looking for the bar. It was hard for him to talk to anyone because everyone’s face was covered by a mask. Once he got his drink, he noticed a beautiful woman standing by the bar alone. Her raven black hair was carefully put up and held back tightly. The gold mask hid her pale face with red scarlet lips. The black dress hugged her curves perfectly. This wasn’t just anyone. She was stunning. As he downed his scotch, he could see that she was having the same drink.
“Let me guess, you’re not having a good time because you look like I feel?” Jon breaking the quiet between them, Katherine looked at Jon but didn’t say anything.
“My name is Jon.”
“Katherine.” She finally spoke.
“Care to dance?” Jon had his hand out for her. Taking one more sip from her drink, she grabbed his hand. Jon was surprised at her firm grip. The music was soft and easy for people to have a decent conversation. Jon placed one hand on her hip and another in her hand. They started to dance like they had been dancing together for years.
“So why me?” Katherine broke the silence.
“Well the way you looked and drinking all alone, I thought you could use some company. Beside I am in the same boat with you.”
“How’s that?”
“I came here by myself; well I came with a group of guys but not a date.”
Katherine chuckled and turned her head to the side.
“What’s so funny?”
“Do you use that line to pick up girls like me? I think your suit would talk for itself. That’s not a cheap suit you are wearing. Hugo Boss, really?
“No I mean it, at first I didn’t want to come because I never been to a masquerade ball before. By the look of it this isn’t your first rodeo or ball.”
“I don’t come to parties that much. I don’t usually have this kind of luxury. I have to work for my money, unlike some people, “she said as she looked him straight in the eye.
“Actually, I do work. I play for the Chicago Blackhawks.”
Katherine laughed again. “Is that your other pick up line?
“No, that’s the truth. I wouldn’t lie to someone so beautiful.” After the song was over everyone stopped dancing and applauded for the band.
“Come with me. Let’s go explore.” Jon wanted to get her alone to learn more about this mystery woman. They came upon a dim hallway full of beautiful Renaissance art. They both read how renaissance emerged as a distinct style in Italy in about 1400.
“From your voice you don’t sound you live here in Chicago.”
“No I do not live here.”
“Where are you from?”
“I’m everywhere; I don’t like to stay in one spot for too long.”
“Ah you’re a wanderer. Where are some places you have lived?”
“Everywhere from rainy days in Oregon, foggy days in San Fran, snowy days in Toronto to the busy streets in New York.” Jon kept asking Kathryn what she thought of the art so he could try to figure out where she might be from. They went from the Renaissance art to the Passport of Paris display.
“Then what are you doing here in the windy city?”
“Just having fun, my friend couldn’t make it tonight. She has the flu. I was born in Alaska just to help you out.” As they were looking at the artwork, not only Jon was studying the art but Katherine to. The way she folds her arms around her chest when she thinks. They stood in front of a pieces where a couple walking under an umbrella in the rain. Jon looked closely at the title of the painting.
“Paris Street Rainy Day.” Jon read out loud.
“This is my favorite art work. You know the saying; every picture says a thousand words.” Jon nodded his head.
“I think that this couple is going somewhere for a romantic date. They are all dressed up,” as she points to the man in his suit and top hat and the woman with her pearls.
“My mother had this painting in her bedroom when I was a kid but I don’t know where she has it now.” As time passes, the more distant they have become. Just as Katherine looked up, Jon took her face into his hands and kissed her scarlet lips. Millions of thoughts went through Jon’s mind and he didn’t know what he had just done. He had just met this woman and she had already stolen his heart. He didn’t know what to say when their lips parted. The kiss felt like someone had given him pop rocks.
“Jon, why did you do that?” Katherine said with a gasp in her breath.
“I have no clue, I’m sorry.”
“Goodbye Jon.” She picked up her flowing dress and walked away quickly. Jon felt like going after her but he had frozen in place. When he was able to go after her, she was gone. He looked everywhere, even the women’s restrooms to see if he could explain why he kissed her. He wasn’t sure what he would tell her, as he didn’t even know why he crossed that line.
Instead of taking the warm limo home or even calling a cab, he decided to walk home. The snow was falling and the wind was picking up. He reached into his pockets to keep his hands warm and he felt his phone. Katherine did give her number to him. He called the number and after a couple of rings and he received a generic voicemail.
“Katherine it’s Jon, pleases call me back so I can apologize for what I did, bye.”
February 9, 2014
It was been two months since Jon left that voice mail for Katherine with no return call. Teammates told him that he needed to move on. Everywhere he went, he searched high and low to find her. He didn’t have a lot to go on, a name and a phone number. He was up for the challenge to find the mystery woman he stole his heart in one evening.
While on the road he thought that he could find Katherine and she would give him a second chance. He remembered the sound of her voice and that kept him from seeing any other.
It was hockey night in St. Louis and it was another tough game ahead of them. Jon and Patrick went out to have a beer before they headed back to their hotel.
“I don’t know what she did to you, but you need to get over this girl. She’s ruining you and she’s not even here to prove that.” Patrick said as he was taking a sip of beer.
“No, I will find her no matter what.”
Patrick laughs at this because he has never seen Jon like this before. Patrick felt like he was hearing a version of Cinderella.
“It’s a waste of your time. There are other fish in the sea or Chicago or any other town we are in!” Patrick said with a giggle, as he loved saying that line.
Jon was getting pissed that Patrick wasn’t taken this serious as he was. He took out his wallet and paid for his beer and headed back to the hotel alone.
Patrick didn’t respond to Jon, as this was common.
As Jon was walking back to the hotel, he could hear someone walking behind him in high heels. He turned quickly to see who was behind him. The woman in the heels had long black hair. He ran toward the woman as she headed down an alley. It was one of those creepy alleys that you see in movies. He didn’t see a woman. All he could hear is someone or something digging in the trash.
Jon quickly turned around and headed back to the hotel.
‘”Maybe I should just forget about her,” Jon whispered to himself.
June 23, 2014
As Jon was heading back to his hometown Winnipeg, he couldn’t stop thinking of what just happened to him and his team last week. The Blackhawks were eliminated from the second round of the playoffs. There were so many things he could have done differently to beat the Colorado Avalanche. They were a tough team and the Blackhawks couldn’t capitalize on any of the games. The season was over. He thought that heading back home would help him out physically and mentally. It was a long season. Jon took comfort in being home and he didn’t leave for two weeks. His friends and family were concerned but figured he was upset from the playoffs but he usually didn’t take this long to get over a bad hockey season.
His brother David thought it was time to get Jon out of the house and into the living. David pounded and pounded on the door and a very angry Jon opened the door so hard, the doorknob put a hold in the wall. “What do you want?”
“We are taking you out tonight. You need it.”
“No I don’t, I’m fine.”
David put his hands on Jon’s shoulders and shook him. “Jon, you haven’t left this house for two weeks. You will make the playoffs next year.” That’s not the first time Jon has heard that. That’s what every fan says when their team gets eliminated or even worse, doesn’t make the playoffs.
“Fine, give me 10 minutes.”
After a few beers, Jon decided to call Katherine, hoping once again, that she would answer only to hear that the phone number was disconnected. Jon slammed his phone on the bar and put his hands behind his head. “I shouldn’t have come out tonight,” he said under his breath. He could hear someone wearing heels, sat down a couple of bar stools away from him. He wanted to look up to see but didn’t want to get his hopes on something he can’t have.
“What can I get you sweetie?” asked the bartender.
“Just scotch please.”
John’s head shot up like he just heard a gunfire. That voice, he’s been craving for it for a long time. Long raven back hair with deep blue eyes. That had to be her.
“Katherine?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's Katherine dress : http://indulgy.net/bB/L6/R5/266767977899198633MxkCT1wcc.jpg

Mask:
http://a.wattpad.net/userbg/ShampooInMyHair.934459.jpg

Thanks for reading