Dreams We've Made

big city holiday

It was nearing close to the one in the morning mark, and Brian and Matt still weren't home.

As much as I was used to being alone, I still hated it with every pore of my body. I wrapped Matt's sweater around me as I paced the room. I hadn't slept yet, and I wasn't going to until they came home. What was taking so long? They had met up at ten! Three hours .... this was taking too long, they were in trouble. I could feel it.

'Calm down, Kimber. They're grown men who can take care of themselves.' I coaxed myself onto the couch and flicked the television on, eager and anxious to find something else to think about other then my two boys. Who could be hurt. Who could be dead. The television suddenly wasn't helping, and my stomach felt like someone had forced stones into it. I turned it off, groaned loudly into my hands, and looked around the house again. I never noticed how open it was. How easy it was for someone to just break through a window and come in.

Where were my boys?

Suddenly, my cell phone rang in Matt's bedroom. It was where I was planning on sleeping the night when he came home, since I had spent last night with Brian. I stumbled over my feet as I raced into the bedroom, scouring the bed for my cell. Finding it, I answer.

"Matt?"

"No, it's Brian. Pack a bag right now, Kimber. We're leaving."

"What?"

I was already running to my own bedroom as Brian explained what had happened. I put him on speakerphone so I could pack. I threw my high school duffle bag on my bed as I threw my dressers open. "The guy ... we met up and he wanted a piece of the net-worth and he wanted something else." He was running, I could hear it in how he spoke, and how he was breathing. "He wanted you too, Kimber." I stilled, my hands full of panties and bras. "Me?"

"Yeah, you. Are you packing?"

"Yes... why me?"

"I don't know. We're heading to the boat right now. Don't answer the door to anyone."

"Why?"

"Because it wont be us for another half hour, Kimber! Just stay inside and pack up!"

I had never heard Brian raise his voice like that. There was a tone in his voice that I had never heard before and to be honest, it scared me. He must have reached the boat; Matt was grunting behind him, trying to start it up.

"Kimber? Baby?"

"Yeah?"

"Please .... please pack up and be ready for us. Keep the doors locked, and don't answer the door to anyone knocking. I - or Matt - will call you when we're outside, okay?"

"Okay. Brian?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too."