Dreams We've Made

so get out of my way

"Almost there, Kimber."

Matt whispered as he pressed my head down into his lap. We - Matt and I - were in the back of the jeep Brian had rented while we stayed in San Francisco with his pals Johnny and Zack. Brian was driving us down to the house Johnny had picked out for us, and thought we would like. I was eager to see my new home; I was growing restless and tired of sharing the bed with both Matt and Brian, who were both light sleepers. I was never comfortable in a new bed, and being in a new place with new people stressed me out.

It had been a stressful month for all of us. I couldn't sleep because I was terrified we were being followed, and Brian was struggling looking for a job, as he had minimal experience in the legitimate workforce. Matt eased into the bar scene, hustling pool at night and serving lunch during the day. But, when he wasn't working, he was scouring the 'net for anything that would pique his interest of the guy they had pissed off in Australia.

They never talked about what happened, either. I was beginning to think they were hiding something from me.

Brian had quietly withdrew himself and his products from Sydney, and was importing anything that he needed to rebuild here, in California. Our bank accounts were drained within weeks, and liquidated into shipping things from the island to Johnny's place, where we were staying. We paid Johnny for letting us live with him, but he returned the money silently through me, claiming he didn't need it.

He was just too proud to admit it.

"Here we are," Brian announced as he killed the car and looked back at us. I looked more like a zombie than the girl they had fallen in love with, but both of them were working hard to get us all back into routien. "C'mon babe. We'll pick our rooms today." Rooms? Did this mean they had already picked this place? I nodded, and let Matt tug me from the car, onto my feet. I blinked a few times, looking up at the house. I nearly dropped my jaw at the sight.

It was beautiful! It wasn't the cute cabin-cottage hybrid we had back in Australia, but it was still breathtaking. I felt Matt's arm go around my shoulders while Brian's went around my waist. "Welcome home, babe." Brian whispered against my ear, giving my waist a little squeeze. I turned to each of them and hugged them, kissing them too before I went to the door. "Keys?" "It's unlocked for now, since we don't have many neighbours, and we already have security cameras installed. But the realtor will give me a copy tomorrow night." Matt replied as he followed me up the small set of three stairs.

I took his comment as an open invitation to walk in.

I was met with an open concept first floor, with stairs to my immediate left as we walk in. Further in is the living room to my right, followed by a dining room of sorts, then a kitchen. There was a separator wall from the kitchen to the second living room/study area, and then back to the front hallway. There wasn't any furniture, and i realized that most of our island paradise furniture wasn't going to fit. "We're going to Ikea in Burbank on Friday and we'll have most of our things sold or stored." Brian said as we all walked around the house.

"This.... this is amazing, guys." I smile and turn to them, crossing my arms over my chest. "I love you," I say to them, and they smile and head off into their directions. "Bedrooms?" I call over my shoulder, making them both stop and turn towards each other. "Bedrooms," Brian echoed, and ran at me like a bull charging. I screamed and ran from him, but without the furniture to hide me from him, he caught me easily and swung me over his shoulder. "Matt! Save me!" I laughed, dramatically reaching for him as Brian climbed the stairs.

"Nope... you go yourself into this mess, I'm going to check the kitchen out."

"I hate you!"

"I love you too, Kimber."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! I'm glad so many people are enjoying this :) I'm not from California or Australia so I'm doing my research and trying to make it as realistic as possible, so if you're from Cali and I've missed something or messed something up, please let me know.