Dreams We've Made

if you know what's better for you

We spent the next three days in complete and total bliss.

Between the love making in the finally finished bedrooms, or in the living room with the big bay window with it's lofty curtains, we found time to establish ourselves to our neighbours and the small community of semi-retired couples or widow's. They were skeptical that we were all in a healthy and safe polyamorous relationship with one another, but our immediate neighbours (the ones that lived right to the left of us, only a few feet away) Jack and Kathie were very interested in how we got it to work.

Of course, that didn't mean we didn't have our fair share of trouble. Brian immediately took up residence with the city's hookers. Many of them were appalled that he basically wanted to start a harem of girls, and take a quarter of their monthly incomes. It may have worked in Sydney, but it wasn't flying here. Matt on the other hand was working in the bars; he hustled at night and during the day he worked on getting to know the bartenders who slept before their shifts. Brian was working harder than Matt though; the girls were warming up to him, but he couldn't seem to break into their circles.

He eventually got to one girl though.

She was coming over for dinner tonight, actually.

"Kimber, don't worry..." Matt came up behind me, wrapping his arms along my waist as he nuzzled my neck. Since Brian was spending most of his free time basically courting the hookers, Matt was spending any time he could give up with me, and I loved it. But, not tonight. I wasn't in the mood to be lovey-dovey with my boys. I sighed, frowning at the pan of pasta sauce that refused to cook. Yes, the stove was on, don't even ask. Matt's tattooed hands came over my own and peeled them from the pan and tugged me over towards the couch. "We can order a pizza or something, okay?" "No, I want to make a good impression... Brian's never brought home a ... another girl before."

To be honest I was jealous. Never before had I ever felt threatened in my relationship with either boy, even when Brian worked with the hookers in Sydney. But now ... now Brian had his hooks into one lucky girl and it was getting under my skin faster than I liked. What if he was thinking of leaving our relationship? What if he wanted to move out and move in with this ... this girl? I didn't even know her name!

Matt's hand took a hold of my chin and brought my eyes up to his. "We'll be fine. You get to meet her, and you can convince her to bring more girls in for Brian to work with. You know he has no other experience, and this is easy. He loves you, Kimber. He loves you more than life itself." I know that Matt was only trying to make me feel better, but to be honest it wasn't helping. Matt seemed to realize he was pitching against a woman who had her mind set, and gave me a soft squeeze.

"Let me cook dinner, Matt.. please." He nodded, kissed the corner of my mouth and left me alone. I got the pasta made, and grabbed a cherry wine just as the front door opened.

"Ooooh, Bry-bry I looove it!"

Yep. Already I was going to hate her.

--------------------------------------------------------

"My daddy wasn't around when I was growing up, so naturally I did everything my mother hated. I got my nipples pierced, my belly button..."

Whether I was just giving her a hard time because I was jealous, or because I had such a similar story to her, I already couldn't stand the sound of Candice's voice. She was the typical, California-born valley girl. Bleach blonde hair, bright beach blue eyes, a perfect hour-glass figure .... "So, when I dropped out of high school, my mom kicked me out and I went to the streets." She smiled brightly as if she had just announced she had won a million dollars. Brian laughed that sweet laugh I fell in love with and it sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

"So, what else do you do, Candice? Prostitution can't be your only income?" Brian was asking as politely as he could, and his charm worked wonders on Candice. She giggled and twirled her fork in her pasta, which made me regret ever cooking it. "Oh, I only turn tricks at night. During the day I work part time at the library. I read to the little kindergarteners that come in once a week." So, to make up for whoring herself out, she read to the little kiddies that came to the library? Great. "Excuse me," I said as quietly as possible, giving her a brief but strained smile and left the table.

If I didn't leave, I was going to scream at her.

I went up to my room that I had yet to unpack properly. I didn't hear the chairs scraping below me. I had closed and locked my door and went to my bed, falling onto it as I tried to calm myself down. I don't understand why I'm so angry at her. I was jealous, yeah... jealous that Brian was currently only entertaining one hooker, when back in Sydney he had about five, and none of them came to our house. None of them. Ever. I reached for one of the boxes I had labelled and started to open it, sighing as I opened it to clothes.

I had a lot of clothes, considering I didn't have anyone to really show it off to. I guess I used shopping as my outlet... Brian and Matt never once told me there was a limit to our shared credit card, either. Maybe Huntington would have the clothes I wanted. Someone came up the stairs and knocked on my bedroom door.

"Kimber?"

"Go away, Matthew." I retorted to the door, not bothering to unlock it as Matt again knocked. "No, let me in." "Leave me alone." I wasn't going to let him in, not when I know he's going to defend Brian and his hooker. I honestly just wanted to be left alone. I guess he left, because he didn't knock again. As I slowly unpacked I heard his heavy footsteps go down the hall and then another pair - or the same pair, I can never tell with them - come back up. A heavier, more demanding knock came on my bedroom door.

"What?" I asked, trying to sound angry. "Kimber, let me in."

"Brian, go away. I'm unpacking."

"Let me in."

I rolled my eyes. Brian - unlike Matt - was more persistent with me, and as such I had every right to be jealous of the hooker he had brought home. I threw the sweater I was holding onto the bed and got up, unlocking my door. He stood there, looking like someone had run over his dog. "Kimber...." "What? I'm busy, Bry-bry." He hated nicknames. Hated being called anything other than 'Brian'. So, if she could get away with it, why couldn't I? Brian sighed, and gently moved into my room. I closed the door behind me as he turned to me and took my hands in his.

"Matt told me that you weren't happy with her coming over earlier." I stayed quiet. He kissed my cheek. "You should have told me, I wouldn't have brought her here." Again, I had nothing to say to him. He sighed and let my hands go, running a hand through his own hair. I moved to my bed and started to unpack, ignoring him as best as I could. But doing that not only hurt him, but hurt me, too. Brian came up behind me and wrapped his arms over mine, pressing lightly against me. "What can I do to make it up to you," He whispered against the back of my neck.

"I love you, Brian. I love you and I love Matt. I have everything I need here with you both." I started, leaning into his chest lightly. "I ... I don't share what's mine, Brian. I never have, and I never will." "But what's the difference between here and Australia? I had a harem down them, too." He said, letting me go to turn me towards him. "You never had any interest in them outside of what they could bring you," I explained. "But... you brought one home here, to our home, Brian. How else would you want me to feel? Appreciative?"

He sighed, and cradled my face in his hands, his thumbs resting just under my jaw. "I love you, Kimber. I will never love one of those girls, ever." He said, kissing me softly. "Do you want me to prove it?" I leaned back slightly to give him a small look, but he had already won me over. "Prove it, how?" With a growl he swept me up and pressed me onto the bed, making me laugh. "I can prove it all night." He murmured against my neck, as we laughed and fell back into an easy rhythm with one another again.