Speck

The New Freak

Everybody gets back in their chambers when the alarm rings. I head to my chamber. Inside, a five feet wide present is on my bed. I wonder why they gave me a present. I pull on the purple ribbon and it gives out of my hand. I lift the top. A card and a wrapped object is inside. I look at the card. Printed in bold letters, it says, 'It's not the last gift. Today is your luckiest day.'

I unwrap the object. It is a picture of my parents in a portrait. I see their plastered smiles and their bright eyes. Mom is sitting next to Dad, who is not looking at the camera. I wonder what they were thinking when the camera flashed. Was Mom happy? Was Dad surprised to see a camera in front of his face. Somehow, I feel that this picture was taken without them knowing about it.
I know I wont ever see them again. I imagine them moving on without me. They probably forget about me because of low how long it has been. I haven't seen them in 2 years, 3 months, and 5 days. I keep track.

Before I lived here, I couldn't lift anything heavier than 30 pounds. I was a weak girl and everybody helped me out. I am 16 years old and I can benchpress more than a ton. It's a real shame to become this different in a week. Did I mention painful? Imagine your whole body structure growing and your mind not being able to keep up. It lasted 3 days. It took 4 days for my body to get used to immense strenth and the awkward balance. Right after I was off of what was left of a bed, I was taken away. No one missed me, no one cared; except for my parents. They loved me no matter what I did.

The next day when we were eating dinner, the speaker said, "CAH-S-9, go to lab 3."

Quentin continued eating as if he heard nothing. He finished his roasted chicken sandwich and smiled at us. He said calmly, "See you soon."

He said that every time we were returned to our chambers. I was scared to see him go. Honey continued eaiting while I stared at my brown mush. I'm going to miss him.
We didn't expect the speaker wouldn't say more, so we continued to eat. The speaker says loudly, "Spec- 8- 3, return to the third laboratory."

Happy birthday to me (I was being sarcastic, thought it is my birthday).
My blood ran cold and I shivered. Honey continued to eat while Maya came over to pat me. I give her the bravest smile I could muster even though she can't see it. I head over to lab 3. It's my least favorite lab. I don't know how many labs there are in this place, but I do know that this lab is pretty awful. The lab smells like pee and blood. It's what new freaks smell like. Scared ones would pee themselves and struggle with the chains and barb wire. The stench never left the lab, no matter how many times the cleaning crew came over.

I look around the lab. The normal sized table is next to my feet. I don't see anyone inside. A side of the wall opens up and I blink because of the white light. It takes me a while to adjust to it. What I see doesn't firghten me. I almost feel pity, but then it growls. It's growl is like from a beast. I then start to feel scared.