Status: CAUTION: AU AHEAD

The New York Halifax League

three.

Sidney still knew the routine she liked. The route she liked to take would still be the same, of course. Bianca liked to run on the riverfront, said it reminded her of the house she’d grown up in in Minnesota. Sidney had only been there once in the dead of winter, he hadn’t stayed long, just a night.

His house – a temporary one – was farther in Sewickley than he’d like. It took an extra ten minutes to get into the city and another five to park the Rover near the waterfront. Sidney laced up his shoes again and started off at a slow pace. He knew she stopped to do some yoga or whatever at the Point.

In the back of his mind, he remembered the shorts she used to wear. But, one look at his wedding ring and suddenly the chain around his neck felt much, much heavier.

Within ten minutes, Sidney had run the distance from his car to the roaring fountain at the fork of Pittsburgh’s three rivers. It wasn’t too busy for a Sunday, still early on in the day. In the grassy expanse where Fort Duquesne once stood, he saw her.

She knew he’d come. Sidney had put up an impressive act at his home the day before, but Bianca had seen right through it. Just like Del Zotto had the money they needed, Bianca had a skillset none of the others had. Call it her alluring wiles, her womanly ways, whichever it was – they were useful. And she knew how to use them.

“Didn’t know Sid the Kid fancied himself a yogi,” her voice was light as she continued looking out on the water. “A lot’s changed in two years.”

“I don’t know about that,” Sidney shrugged. “I’m still the same.”

If only you weren’t, Bianca felt a wave of sadness washing over her.

“Still the League’s golden boy? Making all the big wigs proud?”

“Your guess is as good as mine,” he said, watching her curiously out of the corner of his eye.

“I doubt a lot of them will be too thrilled if they find out what we’re doing,” he trailed off. Even a captain had not job security in this business.

“What is it exactly that we’re doing?” Bianca asked. There was no use in asking if she was in. She knew he’d want her to be a part of it. Just like He had promised.

Sidney smiled. Bianca knew him too well. “Whatever we have to do to fix this.”

They’d since sat down on the cool grass and Bianca leaned forward towards the man. “Are you prepared to do that?”

“I think the more appropriate way to phrase that is ‘are you ready for that?” Sidney spun it on her.

“I spent a year living in Siberia. This’ll be like a vacation, Kid.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


They didn’t meet at the airport. Or at least, not Pittsburgh International. A few miles past the Allegheny county border was a small private airstrip with a jet idling on the runway.

Climbing out of a cab, Bianca lifted her sunglasses onto her head. It was a small plane, but impressive nonetheless. Probably Del Zotto’s, she guessed. With her purse and duffel bag in tow, she mounted the stairs leading up from the runway.

“Knock, knock, knock,” she said as she came into the shade of the plane. “Honey, I’m home.”

“Who’s your honey?” Kane waggled his eyebrows.

“Certainly no curly haired blonde whose reputation precedes him,” Bianca countered. “But don’t worry there, Patrick. I hear there’s someone out there for everyone.”

Patrick had shrunk back into his seat at first, shocked by her remarks, but his smile grew quickly. He leapt up and slung an arm around Bianca’s shoulders.

“We are going to get along really well, Tatem,” he jostled her sunglasses off of her head.

“Unfortunately,” Bianca considered. “I think you’re right.”

Hefting her duffle bag into a row, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Turning expectantly, Bianca saw a new-ish face.

Gabe was extending her sunglasses towards her with a kind smile. “I think these are yours.”

“Indeed they are,” she smiled, taking them from his hand and sliding them back onto her head. “You’re… Gabe, right? The newest captain, eh?”

“Something like that,” he nodded. It didn’t feel right to say he was a captain if it was likely that he wasn’t going to be stepping into power until the impending lockout ended.

Bianca jutted her hand out. “Nice to meet you.” Bianca was nothing if not polite.

Slowly, the rest of the team filed onto the bus. Doing a head count, Bianca found one missing. Sliding into Sid’s row at the front of the plane, she leaned over his shoulder to see what he was so immersed in on his laptop.

“Always so nosy,” he tsk-ed.

“Where’s Del Zotto?”

“Already in New York. We’re going to be staying at his penthouse,” he explained, doing all he could to keep his eyes off of the lean legs that her denim dress showed.

Bianca gulped. She’d been hoping they’d go anywhere but New York. She was good at her job and she knew that she could get it done without complication, but this was going to be tricky.

“You okay there, Bee?” Sidney asked, instantly kicking himself. He didn’t call her that anymore.

Bianca bit her cheek. “Never better, Kid.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


“So was Siberia really that cold?” Taylor questioned as they disembarked the plane an hour later.

“Colder than anything you’ve ever experienced,” she nodded. “If I had a choice, I’d rather spend the rest of my life living with the polar bears.”

“It’s Siberia, Hall,” Jon said. “Did you expect a different answer?”

“’It was just like a Caribbean vacation’” Marchand teased. “Come on, man.”

“Shotgun!” both Bianca and Patrick yelled together. He got there first, but he pulled the door open for her instead.

“My, my, my,” she pretended. “Such nice manners, you have.”

“All the better to woo you with, my dear,” he winked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not too much action in this one. The next one should have some more! I'm still working out plot kinks, lol. Hopefully, that get done this weekend.

Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

Bianca