Status: Complete 12/2/13. Thank you for reading. Feedback anyone?

When the World Was Ours

When the world was ours, I spent a lot of time wondering what we did to deserve this. Why, out of all the people in the world, were we left? It didn’t seem fair.

I spent most days watching his back.

Some days I would be too tired to walk and he’d carry me.

I loved him. We loved each other. And that was inevitable because we were all we had.

“I want to see the ocean.” He said one morning. So we headed there.

We walked for what felt like years but maybe it was just a few days. When we finally made it he collapsed on the sand and bawled. That was when I knew that Lennon had finally had enough of this dead world. Though he was my sun and moon and stars, he was still only human and every human had a breaking point.

“I’m so tired. Aren't you tired, Hayley?”

“Yes.” I lied down next to him and grabbed his hand.

“We should just swim out there and never come back.”

“Do you think they’re out there? Everyone else? Do you think they’re waiting on us?”

“Perhaps.”

He stood up after a while and held out his hand for me.

I pulled my two pictures out of my pocket and kissed them before letting him pull me to my feet.

I brought my lips to his and pulled at his hair while he wrapped his arms around my waist and that’s how we stayed for a while. He sang to me a song that I didn’t know at first but I had grown to love.

I kissed his cheeks and his forehead and his eyelids and his hair.

And when we were ready, and had said our goodbyes to the world that we owned but never wanted, he intertwined our fingers and led us toward the waves.

“Let’s go, Hayley. Let’s go home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The end. Thank you for reading. I wrote this for a contest but I would really really appreciate if you let me know what you thought. Just tell me your passing thoughts or whatever. I hope it wasn't too confusing :)