Status: "Back to the meaning of wolf and man."

Through Wolf's Eyes

Through Wolf's Eyes.

He stumbled into the woods alone, his only companions were the stars and the quiet rustling of the leaves in the breeze. The moon was nowhere in the night sky, and it only seemed suiting that his first change would be on a moonless evening. A shaky hand was pushed through his white blonde hair, the sweat from his forehead making it stick almost straight up. Another shiver ran down his spine 'causing more aches and cramps. He groaned and clumsily pulled of his sweat soaked shirt as he felt like his temperature rose above a healthy level. Another stumble sent him collapsing to the ground on all fours.

"Hello? Is anyone out there?"

The sweet voice of a girl made the boy jerk his head toward the source. He heaved as his bones seemed to shift and change underneath his skin, making him whimper.

"I thought I saw someone out here! Who are you!?"

He dropped onto his stomach and whined as his body continued to shift and heave. His eyes were wide in terror as he looked over when he heard the sound of a branch snap and saw a girl no older than him walking toward him.

She gasped and ran over, shining the flashlight on him. "Oh my gosh, are you okay!?" She crouched down beside him and touched his forehead, almost immediately pulling her hand back, "You're burning up!"

Opening his mouth to say something, his tongue stuck to the back of his teeth dryly. He licked his lips and looked at her. "I'm okay," he whispered hoarsely just before another shudder wracked his body.

She looked at him disbelievingly. "I'm gonna go get my dad, he can help!"

Before she could get up and run off, he grabbed her arm and looked at her pleadingly, "No, please, don't leave." He shuddered and heaved, his stomach twisting violently as it threatened to spill its contents.

She looked very unsure for a moment before she relaxed and touched his hair tenderly, "What's wrong with you? Are you gonna die?"

He shook his head, his entire body quivering and he could feel his bone shifting again. "You wouldn't believe me if I t-told y-you..." He winced and whimpered as he heaved again, this time throwing up.

The girl looked like she was trying not to be disgusted but just petted his head soothingly. "You can tell me. What can I do?"

He shook his head again, weakly lifting his hand to wipe his mouth. "You'd think I was crazy... And, even if you didn't, y-you'd run away screaming when it-it hap-happens." His body jerked and quivered increasingly. He looked at the way she looked at him and sighed, laying his head in the dirt. "I'm gonna change..."

She raised her eyebrows skeptically, her hand stopping. "Change to what?" She eyed him suspiciously.

He rolled his eyes and winced, gritting his teeth as he could feel prickly hair start to sprout. "A wolf. If you don't believe me, just leave me alone!" He whined in pain and buried his face, fighting the urge to cry. He cried out loudly, it sounding too much like a howl for his comfort, and he looked at her.

Her face changed from disbelief to shock in the blink of an eye. "Your eyes! They're... They're wolf's eyes!" She put her hands over her mouth and looked like she was about to run away, but she settled down and gently pet his bare arms. She yelped and pulled her hand back and looked at him, pursing her lips.

"You can leave," he whispered, closing his eyes as his body shook harder and he had to fighter harder not to cry. His whimpering started to sound more animalistic as he body started to change even more, painfully taking the shape of his other form. He felt her pet his back and it made him relax a little. Suddenly, as if everything was jumped started, he started jerking and lurching violently, the hair growing thicker and darker. He howled in pain and writhed in agony, wishing it could just stop.

"I won't leave you alone," she uttered a little reluctantly, scooting back as she watched the horror unfold. A few minutes later, all that was left of the boy was a tattered pair of pants and his boxers. In his place was a tired and panting black wolf, whimpering pathetically. "You were telling the truth," she said as she rose to her feet, prepared to flee.

He stood up shakily, wobbling on his new legs. He looked at her and put his ears and tail down, whimpering as he slowly inched toward her. Nudging her hand, he looked up at her and slowly wagged his tail. Please don't be afraid.

"It's still you in there, isn't it?" She smiled a little and giggled when he licked her hand. She shook her head as the smile faded. "I always heard werewolves killed people... You won't kill me, will you?"

He shook his head and stood up again, walking around to get used to his awkward new form. He stumbled often and tripped over his paws, face planting into the dirt more than once. It would make the girl giggle and he would look at her disapprovingly, only to make her giggle more.

She had been watching him try to learn how to work his new body for nearly a quarter of an hour without speaking. She had sat on a tree stump and tilted her head curiously, "What's your name?" She giggled and shook her head to herself, "I guess you can't tell me, huh?"

He sat on his haunches and snorted in irony. This is too easy." He threw his head back and howled. The girl laughed a little and plugged her ears. He looked back at her and tilted his head as she stared at him with a soft smile. A sigh and he howled again, this time looking at her and barked quietly.

"Are you trying to tell me?" She seemed a little surprised.

He nodded and howled one more time. Come on, this is so obvious! He looked at her and waited, his eyebrows raised impatiently.

"Your name is... Howl?" Her face scrunched up and she laughed at her self. "Is your name Howl?"

He scoffed and nodded, almost glaring at how she laughed at it. He yawned and stretched, looking up at the sky. He wondered when he would change back, and if it would be as horrible as changing into wolf form. He walked in a circle before curling up and looking at the girl, exhaustion setting in.

She yawned and walked over, laying down beside him. "Howl. It fits." She giggled and scratched the top of his head, making him sigh again and close his eyes. "It's nice to meet you Howl. I'm Sophie." She yawned and snuggled closer to him, her eyes fluttering shut.

In his mind, he smiled, and he laid his head down next to hers. It's nice to meet you too, Sophie. He closed his eyes and the crickets sang him to sleep beside his new friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Beyond simple mistakes since this was written up quickly and without editing, let me know what you think! I know it's a bit rough around the edges but, with some work, it might be able to become an interesting story, no? <3