Status: When you are human, in a family of creaturs that hide in the darkness. Life is never dull.

Twisted Family

A Lie 6

Sitting in my room, it’s past midnight. I haven’t moved from my window seat, looking out in the darkness. This is the time for my family to be out and about, the darkness, their own home and this house is the only place they can be their true selves. I’ll never get to have that. I’ll always be the human daughter, with the family of monsters that hide in the shadows.

My family secrete, is my own. Who would want to be my true friend, if they knew this was my life? No one would want to. A lie is the way I have to live my life.

The house shakes a little bit.

“I’m fine.”

I can’t even have one human friend over, with out the house giving me a warning that dad and Conner are awake. Just because they since, another human. A human they don’t know and don’t trust. I’m the only human they know and trust. I have wondered what my life would be like, if I was born a vampire like my brother, or anything else that my own family is like. It might be easier, but again I wouldn’t really get to know in the human world. I would be confined to the shadows, and most like have to go threw a match maker like my parents did. They did fall in love, but still it seams like a pain.

“Stop trying to see threw my head.” I tell Conner, as he walks in.

“I’m not, I’m trying to blow it up.”

That’s Conner hummer, it’s horrible in its finest. “What do you want?”

“Just checking up on you.” Soon he will be confined to the shadows, just like mom and dad. The sun bothers him and leaves him weak, but he can still walk out in it. As long as he is covered. Mom and dad explained it, that everyone has a different age, to go into their powers. It might be years, until he is locked away in the shadows forever.

“I’m fine, just can’t sleep.”

He walks over to a chair and pulls it up close to me. “You do understand, why dad grounded you right?”

After Vick left, dad spent a good two and half hours yelling at me, explaining how it was dangerous and stupid it was to have a human he didn’t know in the house. Mom tried to explain things to him, but he wouldn’t have it. “Yeah I know, I can’t have friends.” I say coldly.

“That’s not-”

I turn my eyes on him. “Just leave me alone, I’m tried of getting the ride act from everyone. At least mom, tried to let me have a brake from the family. You don’t understand, how it feels to be the outcast in this family. How everyone hates me, just because I’m human.” I stand up and paisa. “You hear them, as much as I do. They still think, mom and dad should just dropped me on a door stop and be done with me.”

“Zoey-”

“I’m the black sheep in this family. Out of all the demons, ghost, vampires and whatever else is in are family. I’m the freaking black sheep, just because I’m human!” the house can feel my anger.

“Zoey calm down.” he says getting up and walking over to me.

“Get out.”

“Zo-”

“Get out!” the house reacts to me, sends the chair he was it. Throws him in it and sends him out the room slamming the door shut and locking it. I fall down on my knees and just start crying.

<~>

I dress dark, matching my mood. The family is still around, but most of them are asleep now, even the shape shifters. Walking down the hallway, the doors are closed. Some snoring comes threw and even some sleep talking, but other then that the house is quite.

Walking into the kitchen, grandma Emmy is making food for me. “Morning darling.” she smiles at me, as I sit down heavily.

“Morning.” putting my head down on the table, I wait for the coffin down in the basement to open.

When Conner and I turned five, we got to pick are rooms. He got the basement, its finished with a sound system, 90 inch flat screen TV, weights to life, a finished bathroom, dark walls, black shaggy rugs, pool table and whatever a guy dreams his room to look like.

“You having a bad morning?” grandma asks putting food next to my head.

“Yeah.”

“What got you blue Zoey-Bug.”

A bug, that’s what I am to this family. Grandma, dad, mom and Conner, don’t see me as a bug. But it’s true, that’s what I am. Sitting up I move my pancakes around. “It’s just having everyone around, they make me feel lower then dirt. No one in this family likes me, other the my little cousins but they don’t know any better. You, mom, dad and Conner, that’s all.”

“That’s not true.”

“Yes it is. Since they have been here, I have heard twenty of them say, how mom and dad should dropped me off some where and just left me there.” my hunger is gone, I feel sick to my stomach. Pushing up from my chair, I grab my backpack. “I’m not hungry, I’m just going to go to school.”

Walking out of the house, the door slams a little to hard. I think that was the house, hummer to make everyone mad. But it’s not funny, not to me. Not today at least.

<~>

I hang around the west building, this part of the school is hardly used for anything. Leaning against the wall, close to the glass doors I wait for Vick.

My phone buzzes for the thousand time, I know it’s from Conner. He’s annoyed that I didn’t wait for him, he wanted to ride together but I have no energy for any one really in my family. I really don’t even think, I have the energy to lie to Vick, but I have to.

The glass doors open and close. “Morning beautiful.” he says with a smile.

“Morning.”

He looks at me with concern. “Are you okay? You look tired.”

I shake my head. “Yeah, I just don’t sleep the best when my family is visiting.” in truth, I didn’t stop crying until late in the morning. “So I wanted to explain, about my brother and dad. Of how they appeared out of the blue.”

“Okay.”

“They are magicians. Well I should say, Conner a magician in training and dad a full on magician. We hardly, get any visitors and so they thought it would be a good time, to show off.”

He smiles at me. “Really? That’s cool, but why did you push me out the front door?” concern crosses his face.

I nervously laugh. “Well you see…I figured you see it weird. Since I live the house that has forever been known as the haunted house for all life.” one time when I was younger, some kids came by and tagged are house the spooky house. The house got them back for that and that only made things worse for a few years.

He shakes his head. “If anything, it made everything look cooler.”

I smile at him. The lie had worked, but it wont be the last. I know it won’t, the lies to protect my family will never end. If I ever get a husband and if he isn’t a creature of some sort, I’ll have to lie to him about how my family acts and why they, sleep during the day.

The bell rings. “Come on, I want to escort you to class.” he says with a smile, as he grabs my hand and leads me down the hallway.